Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Top_Speed is offline Starter

Re: Minnesota Legislature = Cheap!

So retracting roof stadium back on? open air snuffed?
    What's the latest for a NY fan not in the local loop?

As said in 1 of my emails w/ Josh the viking fan (posted on Viking.com about 3 mos. ago) I'm willing to pony up, (he thought that was funny, a NYer willing to pony up for the new proposed Purple Home).

I fly in for at least one home game a year and would be willing to contribute. How much? ??hmmm How about a fund for us outside (MN) fans to contribute, maybe get some spiffs like discount or upgraded tixs? I'm sure a (contrib) level thing could be worked out for $ coming in from outsiders (or you Minni haha home folks). Didn't I see a place called Minni hahah falls? (?spelling) probably, just excuse the typos, I type pretty fast.

...well, I'm excited about a new Viking home that has class and style, no cutting corners either! This one has to last, if we have to personally pony up some, so be it!

Just my 2cents
    KJ (speed)
    Home Sweet Dome...

smootpepper is offline Pro-Bowler

"PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    I agree with all of you, I want a stadium.

But you have to see it from another's point of view, would you want to pay for something you could care less about? Especially while your child's school is under funded?

What I want to know is, are sports teams beneficial or a burden on society? What I mean is, in the “Big Picture�, does the state make money off of the teams (jobs, taxes, state appeal), or does the cost of the stadium far out weigh the rest?

That should be easy to answer, Look at the metrodome. It was paid off in a short amount of time from the revenue it generated. Look at it this way. lets say the vikings leave, along with there 100 mil a year payroll (just an example). Thats 100 mil right there they lose in income tax money alone. Now look at the tax that is on each ticket sold, times that by 68,000 then times that by 8 and they just lost out on that much money. How about the concessions that are sold, more tax dollars gone. Look at all the charity organizations that players start in the community, those are gone too. How about fans from other towns that travel to the twin cities and spend there money at hotels, car rentals, mall of america, food joints, and that type of stuff.

Trust me, a sports franchise is something that helps the economy big time.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

But you have to see it from another's point of view, would you want to pay for something you could care less about? Especially while your child's school is under funded?

What I want to know is, are sports teams beneficial or a burden on society? What I mean is, in the “Big Picture�, does the state make money off of the teams (jobs, taxes, state appeal), or does the cost of the stadium far out weigh the rest?

The United States spends more money on education than any other country in the world, yet we finish last in education when compared to the other 12 industrialized countries.

Bush signed the largest Education funding increase in the history of the US, and people ignore it?

Minnesota just agreed to increase spending on education this last session (huge increase), people don't know that or have forgotten already.

When do we stop throwing money at education, and really try to fix it.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

"smootpepper" wrote:

That should be easy to answer, Look at the metrodome. It was paid off in a short amount of time from the revenue it generated. Look at it this way. lets say the vikings leave, along with there 100 mil a year payroll (just an example). Thats 100 mil right there they lose in income tax money alone. Now look at the tax that is on each ticket sold, times that by 68,000 then times that by 8 and they just lost out on that much money. How about the concessions that are sold, more tax dollars gone. Look at all the charity organizations that players start in the community, those are gone too. How about fans from other towns that travel to the twin cities and spend there money at hotels, car rentals, mall of america, food joints, and that type of stuff.

Trust me, a sports franchise is something that helps the economy big time.
    That is what I figured. But why is this never mentioned?? That would be my #1 selling point if I was Wilf.

audioghost is offline Star Spokesman

Look, all I know is a new stadium is needed and if we don't get one, we will have to say bye bye to the Vikes, which is something I never wanna do!

A.G s HOTTEST NEW RAP CD: AUDIO GHOST & MAIN EVENT drop THE SEED: I made tha beats www.myspace.com/audioghost2006

Here's an article from the Star Tribune that I read in the clinic waiting room today(took me a little while to find it online). This is just to show ya the "other side".

http://www.startribune.com/stories/357/5626146.html

Nick Coleman: Could Zygi be giving us the business?
    Nick Coleman, Star Tribune
    September 21, 2005 NICK0921

I didn't believe in the Tooth Fairy until Tuesday, when I saw him up in Anoka County, amid the duck swamps. He looked a little like George Whipple, the guy who always said not to squeeze the Charmin. But he wasn't Whipple. He was Wilf.

Zygi Wilf.

I drove up Anoka way because I was suspicious of a plan being unveiled by Anoka County and the Minnesota Vikings to build a $700 million stadium in Blaine, with up to $400 million coming from public money. Shame on me.

I have always prayed for pro sports owners who would put the needs of Minnesota families above the needs of their own business interests. And now, at last, we have one.

Bless you, Zygi.

Zygi Wilf is a developer from New Jersey who bought the Vikings for $600 million and has shaken hands on the Blaine deal. But he doesn't want a new stadium for himself.

He wants it for our families. Yes, for the kids.

He wants it so we can keep Purple Pride alive and make sure our descendants hear how their forefathers wrecked the living-room furniture in those bleak Decembers and Januaries of yore when the Vikings blew big games like clockwork.

"You have something special," he said at Tuesday's news conference, heavily attended by lobbyists. "I don't mean just the team. I mean the people."

I was blushing. Here was a man who understood me and my people, and was asking for nothing from us, other than the $400 million.

Zygi said he hadn't known of the "tremendous responsibility" that came with owning the Vikings until he "witnessed the passion of the fans."

But now, after a couple of weeks of booing Daunte Culpepper, he gets us. And to show how much he gets us now, Zygi introduced the old duck hunter: Bud Grant.

There he was, the legendary Vikings coach, standing stoically in a corner, arms folded across his chest, looking as glum as Mike Tice in the fourth quarter.

"You can see the light in Bud's eyes when I mention playing football in the nice outdoors again," said Zygi, who has not waited for a bus in Minnesota in January. Zygi thanked Bud for "his guidance," which "helped solidify my resolve" to selflessly accept millions from the taxpayers.

I looked around the room to see if Bronko Nagurski and Bernie Bierman were waiting to be introduced. They must have been in the buffet line next door, where the lobbyists were feeding on beans and dogs.

"Yes, the Vikings are privately owned," Zygi said, lowering his voice as if he were revealing a secret. Despite the burden of ownership, he continued, he likes to think of himself as "a guardian of what I call a semi-institution." The Vikings are "part of our fiber," he said. "Thanks very much for allowing me to be part of this."

This was beautiful stuff. Purple tears were beginning to form on my cheeks. The Vikings, a semi-institution? Why, this was semi-poetry.

I started to choke up, remembering 1970 and Super Bowl IV when my dad smashed the sofa. And all the shattered furniture that came later. The Vikings are not only part of my fiber, they are also the reason I buy semi-institutional steel furniture.

Now here was Zygi, calling the Vikings "a storied franchise" and telling us his only concern is to preserve it all for us. He has not bought the Vikings because it makes sense as a business proposition and because Anoka County has been offering keys to the public coffers! No, those are accidental parts of the deal. He is doing this for us, this marvelous man!

Zygi mentioned the University of Minnesota Gophers and the Minnesota Twins several times Tuesday, talking about how they, too, are part of our fiber and supporting their bids for new stadiums. So the Z-Man was saying that $2 billion for three new stadiums is not about greed or the incessant demands of big cigars and big interests for a piece of the public pie. It is about our fiber. It is about our family values.

And a new Vikings stadium, he said, will "be a wonderful opportunity to be utilized for families."

Again, great. Just great. Minnesota families need opportunities to utilize. Decent upper-deck seats to a Vikings game cost $72, meaning it takes about $300 for a family of four to see our semi-institution. Man, that's a lot of utilization.

But cheaper than buying a new sofa.

Nick Coleman is at [email protected]

If I did my math right,

This is based of 2003 ticket price average and attendance.

Now this is just from ticket sales

Average Ticket Cost $64.00
    Average Attendance 64,179 (year 513,437)
    Sales Tax at current 6.5% (Rochester Average, Cities is what 6.0%?)
    Tax revenue $2,135,897.92

Considering that is Sept through Dec thats a lot of cash. Now tack on the other entertainment that fills these venues in the offseason or during away games. Thats even more cash. I bet through the corse of a year, with all the events held at a stadium like this would be well over 10 million a year in tax dollars generated just by having a place like this. Remember, this is just ticket prices and taxes on them.

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

Nick Coleman is the most left-wing piece of crap out there. My brother, who interned for a democrat representative hates how left Coleman is. That guy opposes everything that could ever better the community here. IF money doesn't go directly into the hands of the homeless, this a-hole will write a cloumn about how terrible it is. Nevermind that the stadium will help the entire economy in Minnesota. Don't ever read that guy and please don't ever post one of his articles on this great site again.

[color=red]

"MensaTice" wrote:
    Nick Coleman is the most left-wing piece of crap out there. My brother, who interned for a democrat representative hates how left Coleman is. That guy opposes everything that could ever better the community here. IF money doesn't go directly into the hands of the homeless, this a-hole will write a cloumn about how terrible it is. Nevermind that the stadium will help the entire economy in Minnesota. Don't ever read that guy and please don't ever post one of his articles on this great site again.
    LOL

I told you I was stuck in a clinic waiting room (for two hours!) :lol:

Here's an article from the Star Tribune that I read in the clinic waiting room today(took me a little while to find it online). This is just to show ya the "other side".

http://www.startribune.com/stories/357/5626146.html

Nick Coleman: Could Zygi be giving us the business?
    Nick Coleman, Star Tribune
    September 21, 2005 NICK0921

I didn't believe in the Tooth Fairy until Tuesday, when I saw him up in Anoka County, amid the duck swamps. He looked a little like George Whipple, the guy who always said not to squeeze the Charmin. But he wasn't Whipple. He was Wilf.

Zygi Wilf.

I drove up Anoka way because I was suspicious of a plan being unveiled by Anoka County and the Minnesota Vikings to build a $700 million stadium in Blaine, with up to $400 million coming from public money. Shame on me.

I have always prayed for pro sports owners who would put the needs of Minnesota families above the needs of their own business interests. And now, at last, we have one.

Bless you, Zygi.

Zygi Wilf is a developer from New Jersey who bought the Vikings for $600 million and has shaken hands on the Blaine deal. But he doesn't want a new stadium for himself.

He wants it for our families. Yes, for the kids.

He wants it so we can keep Purple Pride alive and make sure our descendants hear how their forefathers wrecked the living-room furniture in those bleak Decembers and Januaries of yore when the Vikings blew big games like clockwork.

"You have something special," he said at Tuesday's news conference, heavily attended by lobbyists. "I don't mean just the team. I mean the people."

I was blushing. Here was a man who understood me and my people, and was asking for nothing from us, other than the $400 million.

Zygi said he hadn't known of the "tremendous responsibility" that came with owning the Vikings until he "witnessed the passion of the fans."

But now, after a couple of weeks of booing Daunte Culpepper, he gets us. And to show how much he gets us now, Zygi introduced the old duck hunter: Bud Grant.

There he was, the legendary Vikings coach, standing stoically in a corner, arms folded across his chest, looking as glum as Mike Tice in the fourth quarter.

"You can see the light in Bud's eyes when I mention playing football in the nice outdoors again," said Zygi, who has not waited for a bus in Minnesota in January. Zygi thanked Bud for "his guidance," which "helped solidify my resolve" to selflessly accept millions from the taxpayers.

I looked around the room to see if Bronko Nagurski and Bernie Bierman were waiting to be introduced. They must have been in the buffet line next door, where the lobbyists were feeding on beans and dogs.

"Yes, the Vikings are privately owned," Zygi said, lowering his voice as if he were revealing a secret. Despite the burden of ownership, he continued, he likes to think of himself as "a guardian of what I call a semi-institution." The Vikings are "part of our fiber," he said. "Thanks very much for allowing me to be part of this."

This was beautiful stuff. Purple tears were beginning to form on my cheeks. The Vikings, a semi-institution? Why, this was semi-poetry.

I started to choke up, remembering 1970 and Super Bowl IV when my dad smashed the sofa. And all the shattered furniture that came later. The Vikings are not only part of my fiber, they are also the reason I buy semi-institutional steel furniture.

Now here was Zygi, calling the Vikings "a storied franchise" and telling us his only concern is to preserve it all for us. He has not bought the Vikings because it makes sense as a business proposition and because Anoka County has been offering keys to the public coffers! No, those are accidental parts of the deal. He is doing this for us, this marvelous man!

Zygi mentioned the University of Minnesota Gophers and the Minnesota Twins several times Tuesday, talking about how they, too, are part of our fiber and supporting their bids for new stadiums. So the Z-Man was saying that $2 billion for three new stadiums is not about greed or the incessant demands of big cigars and big interests for a piece of the public pie. It is about our fiber. It is about our family values.

And a new Vikings stadium, he said, will "be a wonderful opportunity to be utilized for families."

Again, great. Just great. Minnesota families need opportunities to utilize. Decent upper-deck seats to a Vikings game cost $72, meaning it takes about $300 for a family of four to see our semi-institution. Man, that's a lot of utilization.

But cheaper than buying a new sofa.

Nick Coleman is at [email protected]
    Hmmm, Looks like I should add on to my esitmate for tax dollars created from breaking furniture.

This guy is a puts. I cant wait for election time to vote some of these A-holes out of office. They cant even agree on a state budget, lets get rid of the vikings and twins and see how much that state budget drops.

Ohh, its part of our fibre. Lets see him be sarcastic about it when they pack up and leave the state.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast