Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Minneapolis back in the running as a stadium site?

It seems like there is an awful lot of politicing going on regarding the new stadium & Wilf.

Why all of a sudden after all the work & time put into a proposal for a Blaine site, does the Army Corp of Engineers 1st step in now & declare it wetlands?

Why did they not declare it wetlands right away?

And within hours of that declaration, why are new talks with Wilf about keeping the stadium in Minneapolis & other intrest in his money to buy/fund other development projects there?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

JellyBean2144 is offline Pro-Bowler

Should there be any doubt as to where the stadium should be located? My picks are: Bloomington, Minneapolis, or St. Paul. I am really hoping that they find a spot near downtown MPLS.

boognish is offline Coordinator

"singersp" wrote:
    It seems like there is an awful lot of politicing going on regarding the new stadium & Wilf.

Why all of a sudden after all the work & time put into a proposal for a Blaine site, does the Army Corp of Engineers 1st step in now & declare it wetlands?

And within hours of that declaration, why are new talks with Wilf about keeping the stadium in Minneapolis & other intrest in his money to buy/fund other development projects there?
    It's frustrating, isn't it? I get the feeling that we're not being told the whole story here. The MN DNR and local environmental groups signed off on the project already, so it's hard to believe that the ACOE would come in now and declare it a wetland. I knew that parts of the area already were designated wetlands, although fragmented; the Stadium project was going to mitigate for the loss of those patches by creating a contiguous area of wetland near the stadium that would provide informative presentations for visitors as well as better habitat for waterfowl and the other critters that use wetlands.

I have a feeling this is about politics and egos more than it is about wetlands.
    I am a dipshit!!!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"boognish" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

It's frustrating, isn't it? I get the feeling that we're not being told the whole story here. The MN DNR and local environmental groups signed off on the project already, so it's hard to believe that the ACOE would come in now and declare it a wetland. I knew that parts of the area already were designated wetlands, although fragmented; the Stadium project was going to mitigate for the loss of those patches by creating a contiguous area of wetland near the stadium that would provide informative presentations for visitors as well as better habitat for waterfowl and the other critters that use wetlands.

I have a feeling this is about politics and egos more than it is about wetlands.
    It isn't like this is the first time Anoka County and the ACOE have had issues surrounding that specific area of land: "Star Trib" wrote:
    Nearly 20 years of lawsuits and bitter feelings pour through the wetlands proposed as the foundation for the retail, entertainment and sports complex, which would include a 68,500-seat Vikings stadium with a retractable roof along Interstate Hwy. 35W.
    I wouldn't be surprised if there was a little bit of politicing going on, with Minny obviously benefiting from the ACOE not granting the permit. But I also think that this is par for the course in major real estate development, and it certainately isn't anything that Zygi hasn't seen before or can't handle.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

PurplePride80 is offline Star Spokesman

Vikings reexamine Minneapolis options in stadium push

MINNEAPOLIS -- Minnesota Vikings owner Zygi Wilf met Wednesday afternoon with Minneapolis leaders about real estate development opportunities in the city.

They spoke about the Metrodome site as a possible place for the team's desired new stadium, but that was not the purpose of the discussion, according to Mayor R.T. Rybak and a Vikings official.

Minneapolis is putting several parking ramps it owns up for sale, and there are other spots the city would like developed as well. The Wilf family, from New Jersey, built its wealth in real estate and bought the Vikings last summer.

A renovation of the Metrodome, much cheaper than the proposed stadium that's part of a $1.6 billion multi-use complex being pushed by the team in Blaine, is not an option for the Vikings. The club is focused on gaining state approval for the project in Blaine, which calls for a $280 million contribution from Anoka County via sales tax increase and $115 million from the state through construction bonds.

But the city and the team each said they'd be open to looking at building a new stadium where the Dome now sits on the east edge of downtown.

"We told them we want the Vikings here," Rybak said.

Wilf, who declined comment Wednesday, has decided he doesn't want a retractable roof on the new stadium, which has put him at odds with Blaine and Anoka County leaders. Another hitch involves the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and wetlands on which the stadium complex has been proposed.

Blaine and Anoka County officials are upset with the Corps over the way it has handled the approval process for the 740 acres of wetlands north of the Twin Cities along Interstate 35W.

The Corps issued a news release Wednesday saying it is "neither for nor against a stadium" and committed to working with the team on this situation.

Lester Bagley, the Vikings' vice president of public affairs and stadium development, said the issue has been there all along and should not be considered a setback.

"If people want to get this project done, we can work through that," Bagley said.

In another off-the-field matter, Bagley said the team spoke last week with leaders from Sioux Falls, S.D., about holding training camp there. The Vikings have a three-year contract with Mankato, where they'll convene next week for camp, but in that pact they also have the annual right to opt out.

The Sioux Falls group has made its pitch before, but right now, Bagley said, the team is "focused on Mankato. We see no reason to believe that we'll be leaving."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2524516
    In the P.J.'s, my blend tape plays, bullets are strays
    Young bitches is grazed
    Each block, is like a maze, full of black rats trapped
    Plus the Island is packed
    From what I hear in all the stories when my peoples come back, black

Prophet Guest

Wilf: Suburb still No. 1 site for new Vikings stadium
    Associated Press
    Updated: July 20, 2006, 7:56 PM ET

=========================

KFFL
    Vikings | Wilf favors suburban location
    Thu, 20 Jul 2006 17:24:59 -0700

Minnesota Vikings owner Zygi Wilf said Thursday, July 20, that the team's partnership with Anoka County and Blaine for a proposed new stadium remains strong, according to the Associated Press. However, skyrocketing construction costs are presenting a problem. "This is the only viable proposal before us," Wilf said. "I believe the project is second to none." Wilf said Thursday that Blaine "should be and will be the future home of the Vikings." The proposed stadium is part of a $1.6 billion multi-use complex that calls for a $280 million contribution from Anoka County via sales tax increase and $115 million from the state through construction bonds. "No one said this would be easy," Anoka County Commissioner Margaret Langfeld said.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

The proposed stadium is part of a $1.6 billion multi-use complex
    This is what I've been saying all along. Why would Wilf just want a stadium when he can have a whole shopping, home building, condos, hospital AND VIKING COMPLEX from which he can derive $$$?
    Downtown will be as a VERY LAST RESORT and I'm ready to eat my crow rare!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234