Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Minneapolis back in the running as a stadium site?

[size=18px]Minneapolis back in the running?[/size]

Last update: July 17, 2006 – 11:09 PM

Could Minneapolis reenter the competition for a Minnesota Vikings' future stadium site?
    That issue was discussed Monday at a subcommittee meeting of the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission, a gathering attended by Vikings officials who remain at a stalemate with Anoka County over the issue of a retractable roof. The stadium and development project proposed by team owner Zygi Wilf also faces political and environmental hurdles.

With the Anoka plan still uncertain, some commission members are considering a plan that would call for a new stadium to be built near the current Metrodome site.

Lester Bagley, the Vikings vice president of stadium development, said the team has no plans to abandon Anoka County but called the Metrodome site "viable" for a new stadium.

"It seemed there was a strong interest expressed in keeping the Vikings in Minneapolis," Bagley said. "We agree with the discussion about the site. It is a strong site. But right now the only viable proposal on the table is Anoka County, and our intention is to move those discussions along."

Wilf prefers an open-air stadium and will not pay for a fixed or retractable roof, which Anoka County considers essential to its year-round vision for the $675 million stadium.

KEVIN SEIFERT

Minneapolis back in the running?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

AngloVike is online now Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Minneapolis back in the running as a stadium site?

Wonder if the MSFC are getting twitchy that they may lose their cash cow if the Vikes did move out to Anoka. I've no problem with staying in Minneapolis providing it meets the teams and fans needs- as long as the MSFC have nothing to do with any of the financing at all. They've had more than their moneys worth out of the Dome and the Vikes and its time for them to go and bleed someone else dry.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Staying downtown can be a good thing because of the mass transit but poor because of a lack of parking.
    BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY...
    I've said it many times before, Wilf just doesn't want a stadium downtown except as a last choice. He's gonna make the bulk of his money with the Northern Lights Shopping area, hospital, housing, and and the other things that go with a complete development. I wonder if the Sports Commission and the legislature will ever figure that out. The tax money the legislature will get from all the sales in the shopping area, etc. will more than make up for any money the state spends on roads for the area.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Just build it anywhere in Minnesota so the team stays.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Staying downtown can be a good thing because of the mass transit but poor because of a lack of parking.
    BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY...
    I've said it many times before, Wilf just doesn't want a stadium downtown except as a last choice. He's gonna make the bulk of his money with the Northern Lights Shopping area, hospital, housing, and and the other things that go with a complete development. I wonder if the Sports Commission and the legislature will ever figure that out. The tax money the legislature will get from all the sales in the shopping area, etc. will more than make up for any money the state spends on roads for the area.
    I would be OK with it downtown as long as they did something about the lack of parking. Maybe they could tear down the Star Trib building and put a stadium up. :lol:

I don't care where it is built, as long it is built soon and in Minnesota!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY...
    I would be OK with it downtown as long as they did something about the lack of parking. Maybe they could tear down the Star Trib building and put a stadium up. :lol:

I don't care where it is built, as long it is built soon and in Minnesota!
    I don't care if any new stadium is built as long as valid revenue streams from whatever stadium (Metrodome or otherwise) are provided to Zygi and his ownership group so they are not at a competitive disadvantage to the rest of the league.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

"westvirginiavikings" wrote:
    Couldn't agree more. Who cares where it's located, as long as they are still our team?

I know, you have to cater to the ticket-purchasing fans... But there are way more people out there that can't afford to make the trip, or buy the ticket, that just want to see the team stay around.

Sports fans, it seems, thrive on debating any tiny issue they possibly can.

I just want to watch some football, and be able to root for a home team. :headbang:
    -Sno

FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

"SnoBumMN" wrote:
    "westvirginiavikings" wrote:
    Couldn't agree more. Who cares where it's located, as long as they are still our team?

I know, you have to cater to the ticket-purchasing fans... But there are way more people out there that can't afford to make the trip, or buy the ticket, that just want to see the team stay around.

Sports fans, it seems, thrive on debating any tiny issue they possibly can.

I just want to watch some football, and be able to root for a home team. :headbang:
    That's what I say...just get it built already!
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

i'll pay for the roof! just get it done

(anyone wnat to lend me 150 million dollars?)

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    i'll pay for the roof! just get it done

(anyone wnat to lend me 150 million dollars?)
    :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

Call Bill Gates!
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast