viks_fan21 is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Mini-camp press conference and Pics

Man those jerseys are slick. I love em.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

[size=18px]New-look Vikings: It's campin' time[/size]

Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
    Last update: May 13, 2006 – 6:27 AM

Today's start of a three-day minicamp marks the beginning of a summerlong set of practices for the Vikings that will culminate in the start of training camp. Based on an interview earlier this week with coach Brad Childress, the following are four areas of focus for a team with most of its starting lineup seemingly in place:

ROOKIE QB TARVARIS JACKSON

The skinny: Jackson already is one of the most-discussed products of the draft, thanks to the Vikings' aggressive move to trade back into the second round to select him.

Childress says: "I can still remember the first pass that came out of Donovan McNabb's hands [when the two were in Philadelphia]. Everybody looked and said, 'Here's the guy that we drafted.' Everybody -- offense, defense, coaches, scouts, owners, personnel people -- were watching the center snap. You're watching him go back. You're watching the first ball and going, 'Whew. Okay.' "

LINEBACKER

The skinny: The team will see how fast it can get rookie Chad Greenway involved with the first team at outside linebacker. Just as important, three players will continue on a tryout basis for the middle position: E.J. Henderson, Dontarrious Thomas and Napoleon Harris.

Childress says: "I just think it's a great, competitive position, and we're identifying guys that have the ability to play a couple of different positions. Will they have a primary and a secondary position? Yes, that's how we're going about it."

PUNTER

The skinny: With incumbent Chris Kluwe still recovering from surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, the Vikings will give a long look to rookie free agent John Torp of Colorado, one of three punters the team scouted during the pre-draft period.

Childress says: "You don't go out and work out a ton of people at that position. We worked out him, a guy from Nebraska and a guy from Illinois. We like this guy. We were in a battle for him with the 49ers. I felt like I was back doing college recruiting."

TIGHT END

The skinny: After running a two-tight end offense for years, the Vikings are switching back to a base set that included one tight end and a fullback, Tony Richardson, meaning Jim Kleinsasser and Jermaine Wiggins are battling for playing time. But Childress said there is room for everybody.

Childress says: "We're going to be in multiple personnel packages. You have to keep throwing fastballs at the defense. If you're standing back there in the same personnel package all the time, I think you become predictable. There's plenty there for them."

New-look Vikings: It's campin' time

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I like the new helmets! The 3D horn looks pretty sweet.

slinkey is offline Pro-Bowler

smoot equals overated bust

"slinkey" wrote:
    smoot equals overated bust
    Why, he got lazy and had a down year. He seems to have rededicated himself to football, and supposedly in the best shape of his life. I think he's actually underated because of everyone thinking he sucks. Come on, he didn't have that bad of a year, mostly just that one game. No one can single cover Steve Smith.

slinkey is offline Pro-Bowler

well, its like i tell my stockbroker....i pay you to not lose money...not even for a day....I CAN LOSE MONEY...Smoot, same thing, what are we paying him for? so he can say, well noone person can cover smith?

"slinkey" wrote:
    well, its like i tell my stockbroker....i pay you to not lose money...not even for a day....I CAN LOSE MONEY...Smoot, same thing, what are we paying him for? so he can say, well noone person can cover smith?
    Champ Bailey won't shut down Steve Smith. I blame Cotrell for not giving Smoot any safety help. I agree that Smoot wasn't too sharp (actually he was pathetic), but still, he didn't get very much of a chance.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Posted on Sat, May. 13, 2006

[size=18px]Vikings players unfazed by Foley saga[/size]

JON KRAWCZYNSKI
    Associated Press

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. - Fran Foley's messy exodus from the Minnesota Vikings drew plenty of attention - both for the timing of his firing as vice president of player personnel and his pledge to sue the team.

The players' response to the latest turmoil at Winter Park? Yawn.

"I didn't know too much about it," Pro Bowl free safety Darren Sharper said Saturday. "If you put him in front of me, I wouldn't know what he looks like."

Foley was fired on May 4, three days after playing a major role in the team's draft. The move ended a tumultuous three months in office for Foley, who admitted to lying on his resume and had several personality conflicts with members of the organization.

Foley hired high-profile sports attorney Jeffrey Kessler to handle the lawsuit and figures to get an arbitration hearing with NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue in the near future.

It's just the latest in a long, long line of negative press for the Vikings, from last year's "love boat" scandal to Daunte Culpepper's trade demands to Onterrio Smith's Whizzinator. And that was just one year.

As center Matt Birk once put it, "We put the 'fun' in dysfunctional."

The players around here are used to dealing with off-the-field distractions, and this one was no different.

The separation between the front office and the field has never been more clear than in this case. The players say they simply go about their day-to-day business as if nothing has changed, and for them, nothing really has.

Foley's primary responsibilities were evaluating talent and then helping coach Brad Childress, vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski and the rest of the staff decide which college players to draft and which free agents to sign.

Once the players are in purple, Foley's job was essentially over.

So as long as Childress is still the coach, and their checks are still getting signed, the players had little reason to worry about the move.

"Obviously I heard about it," fullback Tony Richardson said. "But we don't really have any details about it. If and when the organization decides to give us the details, we'll go with it."

They're not the only ones being kept in the dark with regard to the firing.

The Vikings announced the move in a one-sentence press release and have provided little insight into their reasons for making the decision.

Vice president of operations and legal counsel Kevin Warren said the pending litigation prevented the team from discussing the matter publicly.

Many have speculated that director of college scouting Scott Studwell would take Foley's place. On Saturday afternoon, owner Zygi Wilf announced that Studwell signed a three-year contract extension, but did not specify what his role would be.

"The Vikings plan to announce the entire structure of the player personnel department in the near future," a release from the team read.

Whatever happens in the front office, it was business as usual on the field Saturday at the opening of the team's second minicamp.

"It really doesn't affect us as players," Richardson said. "They pretty much do their own thing in the front office and we do our thing out here on the field."

Notes: CB Fred Smoot twisted his left knee in the morning practice, but returned to the field a few plays later. ... CB Marvin Ward strained his hamstring in the morning and sat out the rest of the day. ... SS Willie Offord, recovering from knee surgery, practiced in the morning but sat out the afternoon session. ... FB Joey Goodspeed injured his knee in the afternoon practice. Team officials were unavailable for comment on his condition.

Vikings players unfazed by Foley saga

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

Hope Smoot's slight knee tweek isn't a sign of things to come this season. I can deal with him doing pretty crappy last year but if he does it two years in a row.

Thanks Josdin

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast