Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by purplepat View Post
    I guess I should read more of your posts, but my guess is YOU are sold on Manziel (you are letting your bias show...)

Maybe you should have said "If Spielman/Zimmer are sold on one of the QBs, you go QB. If they aren't, you go Mack."

Your opinion (I'm guessing) is that Manziel is a "great" QB. I'm far from convinced...frankly, I don't even think he is the best QB in this draft (regardless of how many yards and TDs he threw for against SEC competition). I don't think his "game" will translate well to the NFL. But I could be wrong...
    Yes, I would prefer Manziel, and yes, if you had read more of my posts, it wouldn't surprise you at all. I don't want to re-write my reasoning, and I doubt you want to hear it, so I'll keep it to I think he is the only "possible" elite QB in the bunch in my opinion. There is something there that I can't quantify, but it excites me the same way Luck and RGIII did 2 years ago (I REALLY liked RGIII pre-draft).

Some of the QBs will undoubtedly become starters, and I'm also sure there IS a elite QB in this bunch, but if it isn't Manziel, he is probably one of the second or third rounders. Bortles might surprise me, and Bridgewater certainly has done many great things; but I am a "fire in the belly" sort of guy, and Manziel has that in wealth.

You are right though; if anyone of the 4 QBs that "should" go in the first round is truly desired by Zimmer and is still on the board, I expect them to pull the trigger. If not, I am really starting to think we will be trading down. I just don't expect Watkins, Mack or Clowney to be there at 8 (which is the point I was trying to get out, and did it badly).

For the record, I think there is a better than average chance that Manziel could be "great"; if we take him at 8 and he busts, its just another Ponder type mistake. But if he DOES stud-out, and we passed... well, those types of mistakes seem to haunt us, don't they?
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    But if he DOES stud-out, and we passed... well, those types of mistakes seem to haunt us, don't they?
    True dat...we passed on Marcus Allen in favor of Darrin Nelson, and passed on Warren Sapp and took (I think) Derrick Alexander. Then again, we didn't pass on Adrian Peterson, Randy Moss, and Percy Harvin.

And if Manziel is the bust and Bridgewater/Bortles/Carr/whomever else we passed on does stud-out, well, those types of mistakes seem to haunt us, don't they?

BTW, as excited as you were about RGIII (and I'd say there were far fewer question marks about his play than JMs), once he tore up his knee in his rookie season, he didn't remotely look so special in 2013, did he? A repeat of that in 2014, and we'll be talking about what a bust RGIII is.
    Last edited by purplepat; 04-10-2014 at 09:33 PM.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by purplepat View Post
    True dat...we passed on Marcus Allen in favor of Darrin Nelson, and passed on Warren Sapp and took (I think) Derrick Alexander. Then again, we didn't pass on Adrian Peterson, Randy Moss, and Percy Harvin.

And if Manziel is the bust and Bridgewater/Bortles/Carr/whomever else we passed on does stud-out, well, those types of mistakes seem to haunt us, don't they?

BTW, as excited as you were about RGIII (and I'd say there were far fewer question marks about his play than JMs), once he tore up his knee in his rookie season, he didn't remotely look so special in 2013, did he? A repeat of that in 2014, and we'll be talking about what a bust RGIII is.
    My friend and I had a debate about RGIII, he said we should have traded up and got him and I didn't want him. I don't think he reads defenses well, but I did like his athletic ability much like Manziel. My problem with him was he didn't know how to avoid hits, I did not trust him to stay healthy. I think he will be a lot like Vick, some phenomenal plays but often injured. My prediction to my friend was he will have a short career and I stick by it.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12