singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Mike Tomlin: Head coach in waiting

[size=13pt]Mike Tomlin: Head coach in waiting[/size]

Last update: September 07, 2006 – 5:54 PM

Herm Edwards, Lovie Smith and Rod Marinelli are branches from Tony Dungy's coaching tree who became NFL head coaches. Mike Tomlin might be the next, depending on the job he does this season turning around a Vikings defense ranked in the bottom third of the league the past seven years.
    Yes, Tomlin is only 34. Yes, this is his first year as a defensive coordinator. But Eric Mangini spent one season as a defensive coordinator in New England before landing the Jets head coaching job this season. At age 35.

"Mike would make an excellent head coach," Dungy said. "What makes him a great coach is he's a great teacher. He really knows how to communicate with the players in a way that makes it easy for them to learn."

When Edwards left Dungy's side in Tampa in 2001 to take the Jets coaching job, Dungy hired Tomlin away from the University of Cincinnati to be his defensive backs coach. Although Dungy was gone after that season, Tomlin stayed five seasons, won a Super Bowl championship ring and enjoyed two No. 1 rankings in pass defense.

Tomlin spent six seasons in the college ranks, bouncing from Virginia Military Institute to Memphis, Arkansas State and finally Cincinnati. He never thought he would be a 12-year coaching veteran at age 34.

"I thought I was a better player than I actually was," said Tomlin, who caught 101 passes and scored 20 touchdowns as a receiver at William & Mary. "In the back of my mind, I was thinking when my 10-year NFL career was over, I'm going to coach. It just came 10 years sooner than I expected."

Tomlin said he has enjoyed every job he's ever had, but he wants to become a head coach.

"Absolutely," he said. "I have aspirations just like everybody else. But for now I'm going to live day to day and appreciate the job I have."

Of course, the job he does here ultimately will determine whether he takes that next step.

MARK CRAIG

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Formo is offline Team Alumni

Re: Mike Tomlin: Head coach in waiting

Naturally, I want Tomlin to have a head coach job.
    But not for awhile though..
    Heh.

I want him to stick around as the Vikes D-Coordinator and turn the defense around for a few years.
    Then can he get a head coaching job.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"Formo" wrote:
    Naturally, I want Tomlin to have a head coach job.
    But not for awhile though..
    Heh.

I want him to stick around as the Vikes D-Coordinator and turn the defense around for a few years.
    Then can he get a head coaching job.
    So far, Tomlins accomplisments in his coaching career have moved forward as do most great coaches in the league..

He has now been given that next rung in the ladder to climb and thankfully it's with our beloved Vikings....

I see him taking advantage of this and I trust very much in him to do great things with the talent he has been given to work with on our D....

I can easily see him working hard with our D for the next few seasons and turning our D into a top 5 D in the next couple of years, when this happens, thats when teams and owners take notice and he will be awarded with a head coacking job offer somewhere in the league......

What I do see is almost a Deja Vue of the Dunge era happening.....Which is very sweet for us.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Look at how right we were eh
    ~~I'm but one Vikings fan in a sea of Frudge Packers!!!~~

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    [size=13pt]Mike Tomlin: Head coach in waiting[/size]

Last update: September 07, 2006 – 5:54 PM

Herm Edwards, Lovie Smith and Rod Marinelli are branches from Tony Dungy's coaching tree who became NFL head coaches. Mike Tomlin might be the next, depending on the job he does this season turning around a Vikings defense ranked in the bottom third of the league the past seven years.
    Yes, Tomlin is only 34. Yes, this is his first year as a defensive coordinator. But Eric Mangini spent one season as a defensive coordinator in New England before landing the Jets head coaching job this season. At age 35.

"Mike would make an excellent head coach," Dungy said. "What makes him a great coach is he's a great teacher. He really knows how to communicate with the players in a way that makes it easy for them to learn."

When Edwards left Dungy's side in Tampa in 2001 to take the Jets coaching job, Dungy hired Tomlin away from the University of Cincinnati to be his defensive backs coach. Although Dungy was gone after that season, Tomlin stayed five seasons, won a Super Bowl championship ring and enjoyed two No. 1 rankings in pass defense.

Tomlin spent six seasons in the college ranks, bouncing from Virginia Military Institute to Memphis, Arkansas State and finally Cincinnati. He never thought he would be a 12-year coaching veteran at age 34.

"I thought I was a better player than I actually was," said Tomlin, who caught 101 passes and scored 20 touchdowns as a receiver at William & Mary. "In the back of my mind, I was thinking when my 10-year NFL career was over, I'm going to coach. It just came 10 years sooner than I expected."

Tomlin said he has enjoyed every job he's ever had, but he wants to become a head coach.

"Absolutely," he said. "I have aspirations just like everybody else. But for now I'm going to live day to day and appreciate the job I have."

Of course, the job he does here ultimately will determine whether he takes that next step.

MARK CRAIG

He forget what he learned in Tampa for us???
    >
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE