Thread: Mike Tomlin

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Mike Tomlin

"singersp" wrote:
    "mnjamie" wrote:
    "sharper42" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    [quote author=cogitans link=topic=28081.msg481583#msg481583 date=1160352910]
    I think the fake FG that became a punt shows all about the confidence Childress has in the D that Mike has created.
    But if he was that gol 'darnit confident, don't you attempt the field goal & if you miss it, rely on that same defense to hold them aqgain?
    That makes no sense to me.
    They get the ball on the high probability miss and need two first downs to make it an almost for sure FG.
    You put them deep in their own territory and they have to beat the D with a lot less liklihood of being successful.
    Going for the 4th & 1 or a low probability field goal made no sense given the time left, D success, and time-outs left.
    Put the ball into the teams strenght (D) not the weakness (O, long field goals).
    Deja Vu.
    it worked out well, but i can guarentee you longwell would have hit that 51 yarder, hanson kicked a 53 and longwell is a lot better

Ummm, Longwell is 0-2 from 50+ this year and 13-24 in his career.
    Not a gimme by a long shot.
    Edinger could have made it.
    ;D
    [/quote]

But then he would miss 3 out of 6 field goals from 30 to 39 yards!

I would rather have Longwell, but I wish the Vikings have brought in somebody with a super leg for kickoffs and long field goals!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

"whackthepack" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "mnjamie" wrote:
    "sharper42" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    [quote author=singersp link=topic=28081.msg481623#msg481623 date=1160354718]
    I think the fake FG that became a punt shows all about the confidence Childress has in the D that Mike has created.
    But if he was that gol 'darnit confident, don't you attempt the field goal & if you miss it, rely on that same defense to hold them aqgain?
    They get the ball on the high probability miss and need two first downs to make it an almost for sure FG.
    You put them deep in their own territory and they have to beat the D with a lot less liklihood of being successful.
    Going for the 4th & 1 or a low probability field goal made no sense given the time left, D success, and time-outs left.
    Put the ball into the teams strenght (D) not the weakness (O, long field goals).
    Deja Vu.
    it worked out well, but i can guarentee you longwell would have hit that 51 yarder, hanson kicked a 53 and longwell is a lot better

;D
    [/quote]

I would rather have Longwell, but I wish the Vikings have brought in somebody with a super leg for kickoffs and long field goals!
    [/quote]

I wasn't crazy about the pooch call either, but I can understand where it was coming from seeing as how we'd just had a PAT blocked. It would have looked pretty dumb though if the play had ended in a touchback (whoopdee! a whole 15 yard gain in field position!). It worked, so I guess I'm glad Childress made the call, but I'd have rather seen a FG attempt or even going for it on 4th down. This is why I'm not a head coach, of course.

At any rate, regarding Tomlin, doesn't it almost seem a shame that his and Childress's roles aren't reversed (w/ Brad being OC, of course)? I realize it wouldn't make much of a difference in the short run, but in the long term I'd rather have the defensive-minded coach at the helm.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"whackthepack" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "mnjamie" wrote:
    "sharper42" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    [quote author=singersp link=topic=28081.msg481623#msg481623 date=1160354718]
    Deja Vu.

;D
    [/quote]

[/quote]

We HAD Mitch Berger for THAT...but Tightwad Red wouldn't pay him!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234