Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mike Tomlin

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Mike Tomlin

I know you can turn down coaches in lower positions.. The Buccaneers do it all the time.. But I'm pretty sure you can't do it for Co-Ordinators. Who do you know who has been refused by his club to go for a Head Coaching job?

And bad is an understatement, if the Vikes were to block a minority coach from a HC position we'd be vilified by the entire NFL.

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

"Benet" wrote:
    I know you can turn down coaches in lower positions.. The Buccaneers do it all the time.. But I'm pretty sure you can't do it for Co-Ordinators. Who do you know who has been refused by his club to go for a Head Coaching job?

And bad is an understatement, if the Vikes were to block a minority coach from a HC position we'd be vilified by the entire NFL.

Any team can block any coach from switching teams ... even Coordinators.
    If they are still under contract.

Buc's choose not to allow them to leave, so they leave when their contracts are up.
    Childress has already stated that he will NOT block any coach from moving on at ANY time.

*bump*

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

So is it only for Front Office guys that clubs can't turn down other positions for their personnel if it counts as a promotion?

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

I think the fake FG that became a punt shows all about the confidence Childress has in the D that Mike has created.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

"Benet" wrote:
    So is it only for Front Office guys that clubs can't turn down other positions for their personnel if it counts as a promotion?
    That I'm not 100% sure on, but I think it's the same.
    If they are under contract, the team can deny them from moving on.

Most teams don't fight it, but some do.
    The ones who don't allow people to move on and advance, do find it tough to recruit people into their organizations for open positions though in the future.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"cogitans" wrote:
    I think the fake FG that became a punt shows all about the confidence Childress has in the D that Mike has created.
    But if he was that damn confident, don't you attempt the field goal & if you miss it, rely on that same defense to hold them aqgain?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet Guest

"singersp" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    But if he was that gol 'darnit confident, don't you attempt the field goal & if you miss it, rely on that same defense to hold them aqgain?
    That makes no sense to me.
    They get the ball on the high probability miss and need two first downs to make it an almost for sure FG.
    You put them deep in their own territory and they have to beat the D with a lot less liklihood of being successful.
    Going for the 4th & 1 or a low probability field goal made no sense given the time left, D success, and time-outs left.
    Put the ball into the teams strenght (D) not the weakness (O, long field goals).
    Deja Vu.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Prophet" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    But if he was that gol 'darnit confident, don't you attempt the field goal & if you miss it, rely on that same defense to hold them aqgain?
    They get the ball on the high probability miss and need two first downs to make it an almost for sure FG.
    You put them deep in their own territory and they have to beat the D with a lot less liklihood of being successful.
    Going for the 4th & 1 or a low probability field goal made no sense given the time left, D success, and time-outs left.
    Put the ball into the teams strenght (D) not the weakness (O, long field goals).
    Deja Vu.
    The two first downs is what I'm counting on with my statement. If you're that confident in your defense, they don't get those two 1st plays.

However, If I recall correctly, they have a FG kicker with a hell of a leg, who can make a long one.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet Guest

"singersp" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    Deja Vu.
    The two first downs is what I'm counting on with my statement. If you're that confident in your defense, they don't get those two 1st plays.

However, If I recall correctly, they have a FG kicker with a hell of a leg, who can make a long one.
    Isn't that part of the decision?
    He already made a 50+ yd FG in this game.
    Either way, the Vikings won.
    I liked the call.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast