Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    boognish is offline Coordinator

Re: Mike McMahon the next Rich Gannon?

I think there's still room for significant growth. His years in Detroit were spent backing up a rookie with no real veteran QB to learn from and, let's face it, the Lions have a culture of failure. His time in Philly was marred by the TO fiasco, so the last thing McNabb or anyone on the team was worried about was mentoring a backup QB.

I think he'll benefit greatly from playing behind a guy like Big Johnson. IMO he has quite a bit of potential and I'm pretty happy with him as our backup. He just needs to learn to settle down; he's too hyper in the pocket. Brad, being the King of Cool, is probably the best teacher he could have right now.
    I am a dipshit!!!

Aberration is offline Rookie

I think its safe to say we would all like to see him perform well in the preseason then sit on the bench for 1-2 years then try to win the starting spot (hopefully getting crushed by Jackson :wink

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Lets be fair here:

Who did he play for and who did he have around him that was worth 2 cents? That's right, nobody. He played for the suckass Lions for crying out loud. If Peyton Manning played for them he would have sucked as well. And the Eagles with all of their TO problems and nobody to throw the ball to...come on?

Why don't we give the guy a chance before we just call him garbage? I mean, he is a member of your beloved team. Cris Carter, Jeff George, and Cunningham all got second chances.

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Lets be fair here:

Who did he play for and who did he have around him that was worth 2 cents? That's right, nobody. He played for the suckass Lions for crying out loud. If Peyton Manning played for them he would have sucked as well. And the Eagles with all of their TO problems and nobody to throw the ball to...come on?

Why don't we give the guy a chance before we just call him garbage? I mean, he is a member of your beloved team. Cris Carter, Jeff George, and Cunningham all got second chances.
    I agree completely, I for one thought he was going to beat us when he came in that one game with Detroit, and in Philly they rely on McNabb to be god which is a death wish for McMahon when he went in. If he can learn to settle down and just make the easy play I think he has a chance.

sodaknick is offline Starter

"Aberration" wrote:
    He kind of reminds me of a poor mans Flutie, maybe he'll get to the point where he can be a reliable backup that gives you a chance to win a couple games but not consistent enough to be a starter.
    Poor man's Flutie?!! What, is he 5' 2"? In all honesty, when I saw McMahon play with Detroit I thought he could really develop into a pretty decent QB. I think with some good tutelage, he could calm down and not be so erratic with his throws. He definately has potential, I don't think I'd call him "Flutiesque", though.

brandsp is offline Rookie

My 2 cents:

Who the f cares? Johnson is the starter this year. If he goes down McCheese can't lead us to the SuperBowl. T-Jack will be starting in 07. So, McCheese is just a stop-gap if BJ gets hurt.

What I ment in the Flutie camparison is that he plays erratically (you could argue with his teams why) and because of that he can make the great play but might miss the easy one, which makes him a good backup and not a true franchise QB. but unless our D blows and he gets choped off at the knees (6-2) he wont look like him :grin:

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"brandsp" wrote:
    My 2 cents:

Who the f cares? Johnson is the starter this year. If he goes down McCheese can't lead us to the SuperBowl. T-Jack will be starting in 07. So, McCheese is just a stop-gap if BJ gets hurt.
    Who the f cares? Obviously a lot of us care since it is our team we are talking about here.

Why does a QB have to lead a team to the Super Bowl? It can't be the defense of more of a team effort?

shawn9876uss is offline Coordinator

I do not believe he will ever be like gannon, he has upside but not that much

Thanks PurpleMafia

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Lets be fair here:

Great post ultra, I would also like to point out that not only did he not have T.O. to throw to he didnt even have brian Westbrook to hand the ball off to and not to mention he only had one or two starting offensive linemen protecting him. Give the guy a chance he will prove alot of people wrong, that i guarantee. You cant look at what he did last season at all, he was playing with all second stringers against teams that were in the playoff hunt.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast