Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Middle linebacker Harris puts season to forget behind hi

[size=18px]The things you learn[/size]
    Wednesday, August 2nd, 2006 by Judd Zulgad Star/Tribune Blog

First off, it’s raining again so Brad Childress has moved the morning practice indoors. The practice fields probably could not take another day of being torn up in the rain.

Onto the main topic. The Vikings story in today’s paper is about Napoleon Harris, who right now is with the first-team at middle linebacker. This might surprise some considering Harris’ disappointing 2005. Talking with Harris yesterday, he was candid about how tough last season was for him on and off the field.

In the course of the conversation Harris revealed that among the issues he dealt with was the death of his best friend, who died at the age of 32 because of a heart attack.

That was the first I had heard of this. Watching Harris sulk around the locker room last fall and winter I assumed it was about a lack of playing time. It’s easy to forget that during the course of a season athletes can have issues just like the rest of us. Sometimes those issues are worse than ours.

On one hand you respect Harris keeping his friend’s death to himself but on the other you wonder if he wouldn’t have been better served to have mentioned it at some point. Instead of thinking he was sulking, everyone would have known the guy was hurting.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

petrodemos is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Middle linebacker Harris puts season to forget behind him

seem to remember many raider fans were dissapointed to see their young MLB be the one that was traded. i liked tice, but he really didnt help anyones career in minnesota other than B. williams, and hes gone. dang, i cant believe Harris is already 27.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

I'm excited to see what Harris can do.The more and more I think about Tice and Teddy, the more and more I hate them.Their idiots, they like wanna have slumber parties with thier players.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

Prophet Guest

[size=18px]Middle linebacker Harris puts season to forget behind him[/size]
    http://www.startribune.com/510/story/589512.html
    Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune

...Harris not only carried the burden of having been acquired from Oakland in the Randy Moss trade but also felt he never had the support of the coaching staff.

Away from the field, it was even worse. Harris arrived at training camp a day after attending his aunt's funeral. Then about halfway through the season, Harris' best friend died of a heart attack at the age of 32.

...After getting married this offseason, it's no wonder Harris is looking at the 2006 season as a fresh start. And that very well might be the case.

..."Physically [Harris] really looks good," coach Brad Childress said after the opening practice on the first day of two-a-days. "I saw him show up a couple times today and that's a physical presence. That's a big man now. He's got his mind right. Physically, medically he's in good shape."

...Harris, 27, appreciates the support from Childress and new defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin, saying, "I feel like the coaches are definitely showing more faith in me by allowing me to even have an opportunity."

He also admits if Tice was still around, he probably would be somewhere else.

"... At least I know now I have a chance to succeed."
    I like this article. The guy came in here with a lose-lose situation. Fans pissed that they picked him up and lost Moss and a mentally challenged coaching staff to top it off. People grow when they go through tough times, if they allow themselves to.

I'm not a big believer in excuses, but it does make a big difference whether people believe in you or don't and whether they are willing to give you a fair chance to succeed.

If Napo (or one of the other LBs) can step up to the challenge it will make a huge difference in whether the Vikings D can rise to the top 10 or continue to be bottom feeders. I'm looking for Napo to rise to the challenge.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

I am glad to see Napo speaking out about last year. I have always liked Napo and have defended him in here. I was probably more familiar with him because the Raiders are a N. Ca team so I hear about them all the time and am more familiar with their players. I don't blame most of the players who had less than a good season last year. The problem was the coaching staff at all levels. I look at the attitudes of our players this year and everyone is showing up. No hold outs, they are all in condition to play from off season workouts. Its clear that they have a lot of faith in the new systems being put in by Childress and company. We are going to surprise a lot of people this year I think.

WWBGD

Del Rio Guest

I can't read much into fan support of the guy. I was high on him when he came here, I liked what I saw when he did actually get to play, and I suggested he be alowed to play MLB.

The guy reminds me of Brian Williams in regards to the fans. Quick to say he sucks, slow to pat him on the back.

I don't know if it was because too many people got their purple panties in a knot when Moss got traded or what, but he has never been given a fair shot as far as fans go.

I hope he comes out and tears is up. Watch all the people who bitched about him last season which would be a majority of those here, instantly pull the PP.O switcharoo and jump on the Napo bandwagon.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"Del Rio" wrote:
    I can't read much into fan support of the guy. I was high on him when he came here, I liked what I saw when he did actually get to play, and I suggested he be alowed to play MLB.

The guy reminds me of Brian Williams in regards to the fans. Quick to say he sucks, slow to pat him on the back.

I don't know if it was because too many people got their purple panties in a knot when Moss got traded or what, but he has never been given a fair shot as far as fans go.

I hope he comes out and tears is up. Watch all the people who bitched about him last season which would be a majority of those here, instantly pull the PP.O switcharoo and jump on the Napo bandwagon.
    I'll be the first to admit that i said he sucks. Last year was bad, real bad. He had a couple nice tackles and whatnot, the nice preseason smack on Brees which was very impressive. I was really exited when we got him.

I'll also admit i'm happy he's got a second chance to prove himself, he was first round draft pic, he has talent. It should be fun to see how the competition pans out, D.Thomas will not beat him. Baring an injury i'm sure he'll be the starter.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

I bitched about Napo, but I soon found out that coaching had alot to do with his bad season.Everyone and thier mother in Minnesota dogged this guy.It sucks he had all that pressure from the Moss trade to live up too, but thats the NFL..I hope he comes out and gives it his all.I think we'll be seeing him at MLB.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

On one hand you respect Harris keeping his friend’s death to himself but on the other you wonder if he wouldn’t have been better served to have mentioned it at some point. Instead of thinking he was sulking, everyone would have known the guy was hurting.
    im sure with everything that was going on in that guys mind he didnt care why everyone thought he was sulking - and would have rather had people think it was because of that, than make such a painful topic become public news, thats a much more respectful thing to do in his friends memory.

good luck napo, i know you were brought here for a reason, now lets see it!

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Both Napo and Smoot are blaming Tice and Cottrell for how their seasons went, but this year they both have to come out prove that in fact it was the situation and not them!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast