Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    MNVikingGangsta Guest

Re: The "Michael Ratio"...?

i don't get tice. bennet isn't doing anything with the first team so why not put in mewelde or even fason and see if it's bennets fault or if it's the Olines fault. if another RB gets in there and produces with the first team Oline then we know it's bennet who sucks but if the other backs aren't gaining any yards then it's the Oline that isn't playing well.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Yah I think everyone is just shaking off the rust right now.. I've never seen so many people get so worked up over 2 preseason games.. Mewelde didn't do so hot either.. I don't want to get into who should start but I wanna see some regular season action first!

Lotza is offline Team Alumni

"Caine" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    Well considering we ran the ball on first down only, and when we did it seemed like a "lets see if he can break one"

I would say that I stand by my assesment that the Vikings organization cares nothing about a serious run game. We are a passing team and NO work seems to have been given to making the run game solid and unpredictable.

So I imagine you will see us try to run on first down for the first quarter. When that doesn't work we will all but abandon the run, and like I have said before our runing backs can expect about 15 carries a game.
    By my rough tally, we ran 16 times on 1st down, 6 times on second, and once on third. 23 attempts. Official stats have us running 26 times...I'd have to dig to find the other 3.

Anyway, we ran 26 and passed 36, that's 42%...not too far off of "balanced" as far as I can see.

Our YPR average was 2.6...not the greatest....but we held the Jets to 2.9 as well. Our time of possession was greater by 6 1/2 minutes than the Jet's.

What beat us was penalties (17 for 122 yards) and turnovers (3 unanswered).

While Darren Bennet has been harrangued by many here, he managed to average 43.7 yards, and that factors in short punts as well (The intentional ones).

All told, I'm not yet ready to start getting upset just yet. Things are moving forward at a steady pace, and I'm still confident that we'll do fine.

Caine
    Thank You!!!!!

Go vikes!!

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

i havn't been able to watch M.B. yet in the preseason. but i also know that last year they wre going with strange fronts in the preseason.. working on the front line..

don't judge yet.. the real face of the Vikings front will be different.. and expectations then should be judged.. remember this is time for coaches to see people (not only individ) but also teamwork in players. work on mistakes. when it's finalized.. then each player has that tally marker over their heads to produce or sit.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Del Rio Guest

"Caine" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    Well considering we ran the ball on first down only, and when we did it seemed like a "lets see if he can break one"

I would say that I stand by my assesment that the Vikings organization cares nothing about a serious run game. We are a passing team and NO work seems to have been given to making the run game solid and unpredictable.

So I imagine you will see us try to run on first down for the first quarter. When that doesn't work we will all but abandon the run, and like I have said before our runing backs can expect about 15 carries a game.
    By my rough tally, we ran 16 times on 1st down, 6 times on second, and once on third. 23 attempts. Official stats have us running 26 times...I'd have to dig to find the other 3.

Anyway, we ran 26 and passed 36, that's 42%...not too far off of "balanced" as far as I can see.

Our YPR average was 2.6...not the greatest....but we held the Jets to 2.9 as well. Our time of possession was greater by 6 1/2 minutes than the Jet's.

While Darren Bennet has been harrangued by many here, he managed to average 43.7 yards, and that factors in short punts as well (The intentional ones).

All told, I'm not yet ready to start getting upset just yet. Things are moving forward at a steady pace, and I'm still confident that we'll do fine.

Caine
    The majority of our runs were on first down a large majority. Comparing stats is fine and dandy, but this is preseason so after the first half I don't take much to heart. I don't take much of any of it to heart.

All I was saying is I don't blame Bennett for a crappy running game.

Big C is offline Coordinator

It's unfair to compare Bennet's runs vs the first string D (in pre-season games) with Mewelde's and Fason's runs against the second and third string D's. Also, the O Line gets in-synch as the game progresses, so by the time MeMo and Fason are on the field, there are a few more holes to pick through.

What gives Bennet the edge at the moment is his pass blocking skills. No matter how good you run, if you can't block the blitz or pick the right guy to block, you drop down the depth chart.

I have faith in Bennet. He will have a 1000 yard season. All you haters will be proven wrong . Lets go 23.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

toemaster6 is offline Rookie

Well still being preseason and all I think all the nay-sayers should relax a bit. I personally would still like to see mewelde get the nod but I realize that theres more to the game than just running the ball. I just hope all the rb's have solid success that way you as a coach have the ability to utilize all of them in any situation. That IMO would keep opposing teams at bay as to whether we're going to run or pass with any given rb on the field.
    This year the Vikes D is really going to find out if Farve tastes like chicken and to any Charger fans

THE CHARGERS SUCK!

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

I was real angry that Moore saw so little time with the first offense. Maybe Tice isn't being level-headed at all. If you compare the RB situation to the WR one, Taylor has been stedadily playing well and moving up the ranks, and Moore has been playing well w/o reward. There must be something about our practices that makes Bennett the man.

The problem is we have had no rhythym because of all the penalties. Didn't we have 7 in the first quarter? Del is right, we are going to use the pass to setup the run this year. That means put the ball in Daunte hands, then give it to MB at unpredictable times and hope he breaks the big one. I don't understand why we were so predictable with the run either. I think Tice wanted the O-Line to produce and solid 1st down run. They kept trying, but they never got it.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"Del Rio" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:

Caine
    The majority of our runs were on first down a large majority. Comparing stats is fine and dandy, but this is preseason so after the first half I don't take much to heart. I don't take much of any of it to heart.

All I was saying is I don't blame Bennett for a crappy running game.
    Yup...about 2/3 were. All I was saying is, that the "balance" was there - in terms of numbers, it IS preseason, and I doubt we've seen the enitire package yet.

I'm not blaming anyone for anything yet...I still have a few more weeks before I'm ready to slide back into that mode.

And even if we don't achieve a "balanced" running game this season, I'm still not too worried. Honestly, I don't think we have the back for it. No one we're suiting up has shown the ability or desire to be "The Horse". Perhaps once the season kicks off and the full scheme is unvieled we'll see something different.

Caine

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

A lot of people are going to disagree with this, but Bennett reminds me of Barry Sanders and the way Sanders had a negative (yes, negative) impact on the Lions.

If you ever watched a Lions game back when they had Sanders and Madden was commentating, you may have noticed the "spike chart" that Madden kept bringing up. It would show his last 10 carries, and his first half stats might read something like this:

1,-2,3,-1,0,10,-1,41,3,-2 (the 41 yarder being a TD)

that equals 10 att 52 yards 1 TD(not bad). But consider this.

The thing is if the first 2 carries came on 1st and 2nd down of a drive the offense was forced into a 3rd and 11. Apply the same scenario to the second 2 runs and it's 3rd and 8. Although a lot of people will tell you that Sanders was one of the best backs ever (and they do have a solid argument), I believe he was the downfall of the Lions for several years. Bennett is the same mold as Sanders, although not nearly as effective. He's got Sanders speed, but not his evasiveness or field vision.

I could see Bennett with a spike chart like that, but unlike Sanders who broke a big one just about every game, sometimes two or three, Bennett might break one big one every 3-4 games.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast