Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Mauti

Ranger is offline Coach

Michael Mauti

2013 NFL Draft - SI.com

Analysis

Mauti is one of the frustrating players to write-up because his career has been so affected by knee injuries, but when healthy he was a highly productive player. If I gave Mauti a grade strictly for his on field play, I would likely give him a late first / high second round grade because he is truly an outsanding linebacker when healthy. Amazingly, before being injured in 2012, Mauti displayed the quickness, agility, flexibility and top speed that you would never expect for a player who had torn the ACL in each knee. While many college inside linebackers excel playing the run between the tackles, Mauti is different because he has sideline range versus the run and is excellent playing off the ball in coverage. Overall, because of the injuries I do not expect Mauti will be drafted before the late rounds of the Draft, but if he proves he is able to stay healthy (Which is a long shot as most players who struggle with injuries in college usually struggle to stay healthy in the NFL) he has what it takes to be a high end starting linebacker in the NFL. He fits best as a middle linebacker in a 43 scheme, but could also effectively play inside linebacker in a 34 defense or an outside linebacker spot in a 43 scheme.

Read More: 2013 NFL Draft - SI.com

Site has positives/negatives about the player. Injury concerns are huge (3 torn ACLs), but when healthy he's a first/second round talent. Low risk considering where he was taken, and it looks like (IF he can stay healthy) he might be a great steal for a MLB. That's a huge IF, though.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Helmut Michael Mauti

The Vikings are not finished with drafting Penn State linebackers as they just took Micheal Mauti in round 7.

Micheal Mauti's Draft Profil at NFL.com

Seems like If not for his injuries he could have been a high-round pick. Possible steal.

MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries
    So excited about this pick! We got our ILB! Couldn't be happier about how this draft turned out.

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Michael Mauti Draft Profile

Small clip

Bottom Line
    The third Mauti to play at Penn State, Michael is an extremely intuitive and instinctual player. He's far from a remarkable athlete, but he is coordinated in changing direction, and is fundamentally sound in taking on blocks and making tackles. Versatile enough to play multiple linebacker spots. Tough and physical, but his injury history is a major worry. His medical exams are going to be crucial to his draft stock.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired
    3 ACL injuries????? Thats a tough one to overcome, but lets see what happens..... Reads like he had one hell of a football career ahead of him, before injuries.
    His father played for the Saints

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries
    This is exactly the kind of guy you want to draft in the 7th round. Guaranteed to make the team and compete. Without the ACL stuff he is first round talent.

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

Michael Mauti

If he can come back from these injuries, we've got our MLB for many years. If not, we invested a 7th Round pick. Low risk, very high reward. Was hoping we'd pick him!

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired
    Trust me, I'm happy with the pick also, espiecaly after what everyone is seeing what these DR's / Surgeons can do these days. It's all up to Mauti now. I also like the fact that many scouts and player graders had him a 1st to 2nd round pick, when he was healthy and at his best. Would be a great great steal and story, if he can make it back to that level of play, and just as sweet for the Vikings as a team..

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator
    It occurs to me that by drafting both Hodges and Mauti, who played together, you get the bonus of instant chemistry. These guys know each others' tendencies and styles, so could work quite well together if both are on the field at the same time.

It's a relatively small thing, but sometimes intangibles like that can make a difference.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveling_Vike View Post
    It occurs to me that by drafting both Hodges and Mauti, who played together, you get the bonus of instant chemistry. These guys know each others' tendencies and styles, so could work quite well together if both are on the field at the same time.

It's a relatively small thing, but sometimes intangibles like that can make a difference.
    Or maybe they disliked each other in college, and that transfers to the NFL.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but one never knows. They did compete for a similar job on their way to being drafted as high as they could. I would hope they were both professional and good teammates about it, but rivalries are not always chummy on a football team.

I would have expected the Vikings' scouts to check that kind of thing out with players and coaches, so I would not worry about it.

On a similar note, I wonder how thrilled Hunter was to have Patterson drafted in front of him.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast