Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

Michael Bennett headed for the hoosegow

Too bad. Although he never was great with us, but he did alright and I liked the guy. Something went bad somewhere down the line.

Minnesota Vikings Blogs - SportsOverdose

The former first round pick was also nabbed with William Joseph, also a former first round pick of the New York Giants in 2003. Joseph is going to prison for two years after accepting a plea deal, and Bennett faces similar time.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Michael Bennett headed for the hoosegow

A ring of identity theft, tax and wire fraud!? Wtf is wrong with some of these guys. I am sure he made more than enough money. I don't get it. Give me $250,000 and I will be set for life. Idiots.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    He's a WI kid, what do you expect? haha

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    This is sad news for anyone.

It is too bad so many NFL players blow their cash while they are in the game or listen to money managers that do not know how to manage money.

Maybe he could work for JPMorgan.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by marstc09 View Post
    A ring of identity theft, tax and wire fraud!? Wtf is wrong with some of these guys. I am sure he made more than enough money. I don't get it. Give me $250,000 and I will be set for life. Idiots.
    Really?

You must have made that much in the last 5-10 years. Are you set for life?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Thorshammer10 is offline Waterboy
    Was never a fan of Bennet. I guess in my eyes he really couldn't fill Smith's shoes. He did have 1 pro bowl year though. What a sad story from a desperate man.

ConnecticutViking is offline Pro-Bowler
    Lock him up...We all get dealt cards in life. He was dealt with great athletic ability which enabled him to receive a free college education and a first round pick, which allowed him to earn millions of dollars. Yes, he made poor decisions and yes, it is sad that he is going to prison. But I don't feel sorry for him, just a sad state of affairs that exemplifies how a lot of these players piss their cash away, don't take advantage of the opportunities available and end up at the bottom of the barrel. Needless to say, I'm sure the people he ripped off are not shedding any tears.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by ConnecticutViking View Post
    Lock him up...We all get dealt cards in life. He was dealt with great athletic ability which enabled him to receive a free college education and a first round pick, which allowed him to earn millions of dollars. Yes, he made poor decisions and yes, it is sad that he is going to prison. But I don't feel sorry for him, just a sad state of affairs that exemplifies how a lot of these players piss their cash away, don't take advantage of the opportunities available and end up at the bottom of the barrel. Needless to say, I'm sure the people he ripped off are not shedding any tears.
    Well put indeed...

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by ConnecticutViking View Post
    I really dislike when people say "these guys" throw away their money. It's the American way. There is a reason that most lotto winners end up back where they started after winning the lottery. If you give the average person 1 million, regardless of race and background, they will find themselves in financial ruin.

As someone that knows a few former players from my time in school and college, I can assure you that most do not foolishly blow their money. Yes, most purchase a house (some big, some small), yes most purchase a nice car. However, the average player invest their earnings and hope for the best. All of you guys out there with 401Ks, how has it been looking these past years?

Also nothing in life is free. Everyone acts like an athletic scholarship is a walk in the park and its living the life. It's not, you are expected to have 16 hours days like you have a freaking job and while others are out enjoying their college years, you are either in the gym, shivering in the cold or rain and or getting yelled at constantly. Most won't feel bad because athletes on colleges are popular but the grass isn't always greener my friends. Im not saying its not fun to be an athlete, I'm simply saying its not the cake walk people make it out to be.
    Last edited by kevoncox; 09-04-2012 at 07:37 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast