Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Re: Mewlde has 2 sprained ankles!

"Nightgaunt" wrote:
    .... But since im a old man and all and been watching the Vikes play since 77 im better then all you cause i been following them longer then most. :roll:

sorry to say but statments like this prove alomost the exact opposite. the bigger man steers clear of these coments.

date of birth has little to do with whos better then who . and that is the biggest and only factor in your reasoning for better man award.

another tip stay away from terms like "all of you" , or "you guys" unless you want "all of them " or those guys " calling you on your b/s

http://justlube.net/?page_id=44

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"fourdoorchevelle" wrote:
    "Nightgaunt" wrote:
    .... But since im a old man and all and been watching the Vikes play since 77 im better then all you cause i been following them longer then most. :roll:

sorry to say but statments like this prove alomost the exact opposite. the bigger man steers clear of these coments.

date of birth has little to do with whos better then who . and that is the biggest and only factor in your reasoning for better man award.

another tip stay away from terms like "all of you" , or "you guys" unless you want "all of them " or those guys " calling you on your b/s
    He was being sarcastic I believe. Hence the " :roll: "

still seemed like he was looking for a response , i bit.

when ever you say to a board of over 4,000 " i'm better then all of you" you are calling some one out if not tring to jab the whole community.

http://justlube.net/?page_id=44

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

This has turned into the most childish thread ever. People come in here to bash others. How about discussing thoughts and opinions and not bashing others at all. We are all Viking fans. I've been watching them since I can remember (mid 70s) as a young kid. Who cares who is older than who? If you don't want to be here to post then read your updates and don't post.

I don't usually bash anyone but nightgaunt, if you don't want to worry about what people say then don't get involved. Why aggrivate yourself and others. I come in here to talk Vikings and football. Personally, I'm not interested in bashing or reading peoples' posts that don't want to post anyway.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Posted on Thu, Nov. 24, 2005

[size=18px]Vikings' Moore gets tough in time[/size]

BY GORDON WITTENMYER
    Knight Ridder Newspapers

ST. PAUL, Minn. - On separate plays in the Vikings' victory over Green Bay on Monday night, Mewelde Moore rolled an ankle and got hit from the side on the other ankle.

Both wound up sprained. Yet the second-year running back stayed in the game and rushed for 68 of his 122 yards in the final 13 minutes, helping set up two field goals, including the game-winner in the final second.

Big deal?

It might not sound like much in the no-blood-no-glory world of NFL football. But for a guy who lost some of the confidence of his coaches - and his place on the depth chart - when he took six weeks to return from a high ankle sprain last year, Monday's performance, along with this week's practices, might be the best indications yet of a big turnaround for the promising back.

And that could become a very big deal for a Vikings team that suddenly has visions of the playoffs after a three-week turnaround of what looked like a sinking season.

"He has gotten tougher since he has been here," Vikings coach Mike Tice said. "There are a couple of different kinds of toughness. I believe he has the physical toughness. I think he had to mature to the point where he was a little mentally tougher."

Moore, a fourth-round draft pick out of Tulane in 2004, said he agrees he probably is another year tougher as he's become another year older in the NFL, but he still bristles at the idea his lengthy stay on last year's inactive list had anything to do with mental toughness.

"What I had last year was totally, totally different than what's going on this year," said Moore, who also shed a protective wrist brace from a two-week-old injury for Monday's game. "That high ankle sprain_there was nothing I could do. I couldn't even walk."

Because of the significant burden of weight and stability on that area of the leg, high ankle sprains are notorious for disabling athletes of all sports for sometimes months at a time.

A few weeks ago, Tice disputed the perception that Moore was in his doghouse over the injury recovery time dragging beyond the team's expectations, emphasizing the difference between being injured and being sore.

If anything, the National Honor Society student in high school who lists chess as a hobby, demonstrated enough mental toughness in college to earn a double-major bachelor's degree (finance and accounting) from Tulane while playing NCAA Division I football in the fall and professional baseball in the San Diego Padres' minor league system in the summer.

Tice blames that split time between the two sports for putting Moore "behind some of the other players as far as mentality of a football player," something he has talked with Moore about since last year.

"I've chided him about it a little bit. He's taken it well," Tice said. "It's part of maturity as a player. You have to be able to play with pain, and you have to be smart enough to differentiate between pain and injury."

Veteran running back Michael Bennett called it "something that if it ain't broke, then if you can run on it (you play). ... It's something that if you can tolerate it you're going to play."

The timing of Moore's injury last year magnified the scrutiny. He got hurt immediately after he took over as a starter in an injury- and suspension-depleted backfield and ran off 339 rushing yards in a three-week, three-victory span. He also caught passes for 198 yards in that stretch and set a three-game team record of 610 net yards.

The Vikings were 5-1 at that point in the season, but Moore got hurt in the next game and the Vikings lost seven of their final 10 regular-season games.

"I can't say it was a disappointment, because as far as I'm concerned you can only do what you're capable of doing," Moore said of the lost opportunities in his rookie year. "You can only be who you are and when you're injured, you're injured. There's no playing through that. When you're hurt, like right now, I'm hurt, but I can play.

"When I was injured, there was all this complaining, this and that, but I was injured. That's the difference."

Whether that all comes down to a mental difference, physical difference or no difference in his personal game, Moore's toughness on the field these days could be a difference maker for the Vikings as they chase a second straight playoff berth over the final six weeks of the season.

Taking advantage of Moe Williams' leg injury, Onterrio Smith's drug suspension and Bennett's lack of consistent production, Moore is poised to become the Vikings' featured back as long as he keeps performing.

Already, he has drawn praise for his improved pass blocking and notice for his ability to get through narrow openings and bounce off tacklers for extra yards_an especially important skill this season with the instability of the offensive line and with quarterback Daunte Culpepper out for the season because of a knee injury.

And then there's the toughness.

"He is a little beat up, he has some bruises and his ankles are sore," Tice said before Wednesday's practice. "But he has got great body language. That's good because I think he's learning how to deal with the minor injuries that come with playing at a high level in the National Football League."

Whether that has anything to do with his rookie experience or not.

"I think the one thing I've learned in this league from last year to this year is just do what you do best," Moore said. "Don't try to be outside of yourself, because you can't be no one else. You can only be who you are.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

SamDawg84 Guest

oh yeah ultra richard symons (cant remember how to spell it) is here lol. and im ready for exersize lol

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"SamDawg84" wrote:
    oh yeah ultra richard symons (cant remember how to spell it) is here lol. and im ready for exersize lol
    Figured I would try to lighten the mood! :wink:

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011