Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Mewelde Moore speaks out on Childress...

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1089702
    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1089692
    Not because the kids are dumber or the Colleges are lazy...but because the GAME is more complex.

I would have thought you'd have figured that out with all your spreadsheets...

Caine

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...........

And yet all of them are still doing it the old school way. All they are doing is adding more position coaching and teaching the kids the things they should have learned coming up.
    Sounds pretty close to that if you ask me.

Besides, the game isn't getting that comlex. A 9 route is still a 9 route. A QB still has to read the defense and hand the ball off or take a 3, 5 or 7 step drop. The blocking is still head on left shoulder/head on right shoulder.
    Hmm... well if all football consists of is calling 9 routes, blocking the correct side of a man and getting the right drop, then I think Childress would have been more successful.

What isn't the same is that a QB doesn't learn to read a defense from under center and then turn his back to the defense, hand off/take a 5 step drop, turn and re-read the defense. All he does is stand back there. Get the ball hiked to him, all the while not moving his feet much out of the proper stance, with his eyes continually on the defense and either hits a hot read or hands the ball off.
    umm.... or defenses are faster, more complex, and harder to beat? Look at all the top DC's in recent memory. Guys like Dick Labeau, known for having complex packages and fronts designed to confuse the quarterback. That's what they aim to do on D, confuse the QB. The NFL has shifted from a running league to a passing league. Guys in the 70's like Bradshaw might not cut it as a starting QB in the league today, and certainly would not be a superstar. The good teams build around a QB in todays league. Defenses focus on shutting down that QB.
    I have figured something out and it sure has nothing to do with the complexity of the game my friend. I think what I've figured out is that you might not see the game the same way I do. :laugh:
    I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1089737
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1089733
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1089712
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1089684
    Posted by Marrdro
    Hell, I would go so far as to say that the coaches sometimes even trade some thoughts on what they are gonna do so that the other can work on his stuff that they will use to counter that.
    WHAT!?

Did I really read that? You honestly think that coaches meet before preseason games and say "hey man, I'm gonna run some screens, and when I do, my hand signal will be a big jackoff motion, you can work on your defense to stop that"

Why in the hell would an NFL head coach try and help an opposing team get better?
    LMAO.

And they laughed at the Randy Ratio. Now the coaches are texting their play list to the coaches on the other side line. Next thing you know they will have a neon fricking sign on the QB's helmet that will broadcast the play to the defense in real time.
    Wow, sometimes I'm surprised at you guys. Its well known they do it in scrimmages, that are meaningless, why wouldn't they work on things in meaningless pre-season games?

Unless of course your of a mind that every teams goes out to win pre-season games, then I could see why that is hard to understand.

If your of that mind, then you've probably never heard coach Dungy talk about what he focused on in scrimmages and pre-season games.

Quick question for you two. What are pre-season games for, especially the first two?
    Man you are all over the place on this one. First you are talking scrimmages, then preseason games, then back to scrimmages and back to preseason games again. Step away from the keayboard, focus, and then get back to me with a single coherent question.:P
    LOL. My apologies......

The scrimmages and first 2 preseason games are treated as one in the same by most of the coaches who don't take them as anything other than opportunities for their team to work on things.

Go back to my points I've repeatedly made about how little importance/credence I put on TJ's preseason stats vs Sages preseason stats.

In one game TJ ran 4 straight screen plays. What team does that s part of a gameplan? Answer, none. They just wanted to work on screen plays.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1089743
    Hmm... well if all football consists of is calling 9 routes, blocking the correct side of a man and getting the right drop, then I think Childress would have been more successful.
    You know what I mean. I need to go find that article that talked about how repetitous offense are and how they aren't complicated.

umm.... or defenses are faster, more complex, and harder to beat? Look at all the top DC's in recent memory. Guys like Dick Labeau, known for having complex packages and fronts designed to confuse the quarterback. That's what they aim to do on D, confuse the QB. The NFL has shifted from a running league to a passing league. Guys in the 70's like Bradshaw might not cut it as a starting QB in the league today, and certainly would not be a superstar. The good teams build around a QB in todays league. Defenses focus on shutting down that QB.
    Agree with all of that, the problem comes that QB's are not ready to turn their backs on those defense when they get to the NFL.

As I said in the first post, they do not get under center, take the snap, turn their back, take their drop back, fake a handoff to the QB and then turn back around and have to figure out what the defense did while their back was turned.

Again, it isn't the complexity, its that they don't know how to react to the complexity.

I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.
    Probably isn't a good thing. Remember, I admit I'm a bit off when it comes to the time and effort I put into studying the game.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1089744
    Posted by Marrdro
    Hell, I would go so far as to say that the coaches sometimes even trade some thoughts on what they are gonna do so that the other can work on his stuff that they will use to counter that.
    WHAT!?

Did I really read that? You honestly think that coaches meet before preseason games and say "hey man, I'm gonna run some screens, and when I do, my hand signal will be a big jackoff motion, you can work on your defense to stop that"

Why in the hell would an NFL head coach try and help an opposing team get better?
    LMAO.

And they laughed at the Randy Ratio. Now the coaches are texting their play list to the coaches on the other side line. Next thing you know they will have a neon fricking sign on the QB's helmet that will broadcast the play to the defense in real time.
    Wow, sometimes I'm surprised at you guys. Its well known they do it in scrimmages, that are meaningless, why wouldn't they work on things in meaningless pre-season games?

Unless of course your of a mind that every teams goes out to win pre-season games, then I could see why that is hard to understand.

If your of that mind, then you've probably never heard coach Dungy talk about what he focused on in scrimmages and pre-season games.

Quick question for you two. What are pre-season games for, especially the first two?
    Man you are all over the place on this one. First you are talking scrimmages, then preseason games, then back to scrimmages and back to preseason games again. Step away from the keayboard, focus, and then get back to me with a single coherent question.:P
    LOL. My apologies......

The scrimmages and first 2 preseason games are treated as one in the same by most of the coaches who don't take them as anything other than opportunities for their team to work on things.

Go back to my points I've repeatedly made about how little importance/credence I put on TJ's preseason stats vs Sages preseason stats.

In one game TJ ran 4 straight screen plays. What team does that s part of a gameplan? Answer, none. They just wanted to work on screen plays.
    There is a huge difference between not having a gameplan, and arranging with rival coaches to practice certain plays.

Nobody is arguing that teams don't use a gamplan in preseason (well, they do plan for the game, but they plan on plays/situations they want to use and see, not necessarily to win)

However, to claim that a HC would help out another team by calling specific plays is quite possibly the most ridiculous theory you've come up with yet. I'm not sure if you believe it, or it's just one of your ways to try and stir up some type of 'discussion'

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1089747
    Posted by Marrdro
    WHAT!?

LMAO.

LOL. My apologies......

There is a huge difference between not having a gameplan, and arranging with rival coaches to practice certain plays.

Nobody is arguing that teams don't use a gamplan in preseason (well, they do plan for the game, but they plan on plays/situations they want to use and see, not necessarily to win)

However, to claim that a HC would help out another team by calling specific plays is quite possibly the most ridiculous theory you've come up with yet. I'm not sure if you believe it, or it's just one of your ways to try and stir up some type of 'discussion'
    I didn't say specific plays. I said they discuss what they want to work on.

Again, to help you get back on track with what I said (never ever ever once said plays)......

Quick question, have you ever been to a scrimmage? The coaches actually stand together behind the QB's, Defense and call a play. The teams do their thing, the coaches go out, make corrections and then, RUN IT AGAIN, is what you hear.

The first two preseason games are nothing more than that stuff taken to the next level.

Look, this isn't something new. Just because you never heard of it or thought of it doesn't make it as outlandish as you are trying to make it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1089749
    Posted by Marrdro
    WHAT!?

LMAO.

LOL. My apologies......

Again, to help you get back on track with what I said (never ever ever once said plays)......

Quick question, have you ever been to a scrimmage? The coaches actually stand together behind the QB's, Defense and call a play. The teams do their thing, the coaches go out, make corrections and then, RUN IT AGAIN, is what you hear.

The first two preseason games are nothing more than that stuff taken to the next level.

Look, this isn't something new. Just because you never heard of it or thought of it doesn't make it as outlandish as you are trying to make it.
    I'm aware of how a football practice works, I've been to many. The thing is, the OFfense is playing against their own defense. it's in the coaches best interest to make sure their offense and defense are both playing well.

Preseason games are against OTHER TEAMS. Coaches don't want to help other teams. Doing so is foolish. If they call 5 screens that go for 50 yards each because the other team called the wrong play, great! That's a well-executed screen by the offense. What do they gain by running a screen, telling the other team to key on it and watching their RB get smacked right as they catch the ball?

Perhaps the knowledge that if the other team knows exactly what you're doing it's hard to do? I'd hope they already understand that concept.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1089756
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1089749
    Posted by Marrdro
    WHAT!?

LMAO.

LOL. My apologies......

I'm aware of how a football practice works, I've been to many. The thing is, the OFfense is playing against their own defense. it's in the coaches best interest to make sure their offense and defense are both playing well.

Preseason games are against OTHER TEAMS. Coaches don't want to help other teams. Doing so is foolish. If they call 5 screens that go for 50 yards each because the other team called the wrong play, great! That's a well-executed screen by the offense. What do they gain by running a screen, telling the other team to key on it and watching their RB get smacked right as they catch the ball?

Perhaps the knowledge that if the other team knows exactly what you're doing it's hard to do? I'd hope they already understand that concept.
    LOL......hell......ROTFLMAO........

How is a scrimmage like we run each and every year with KC not against another team?

Blog Entries

thought you were talking about scrimmages during practice.

Those are special exceptions, and not all teams do it. Actually, I could be wrong but I believe we didn't do it this year?

But do you really believe they treat preseason games as a way to help other teams get better?

I suppose you think during the regular season Chilly talks to the coaches and says "hey, you don't do x and we won't do y". (actually, knowing Chilly, that wouldn't surprise me)

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1089760
    thought you were talking about scrimmages during practice.

Those are special exceptions, and not all teams do it. Actually, I could be wrong but I believe we didn't do it this year?

But do you really believe they treat preseason games as a way to help other teams get better?

I suppose you think during the regular season Chilly talks to the coaches and says "hey, you don't do x and we won't do y". (actually, knowing Chilly, that wouldn't surprise me)
    Again, I didn't say they use them to help other teams get better. I said that teams sometimes let each other know what they are gonna work on.

As I said, I read it in a book. I think I remember which one and will verify it.

What we saw the staff doing this year, especially in the first two preseason games with the starters bares that out a bit. The screen play example is just one of them.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Posted by Marrdro
    WHAT!?

LMAO.

LOL. My apologies......

Then you totally lost yourself in the thought of the string. I didn't see you say anything in your reply that backed up the statement that the coaches tell the opposing coaches what plays they are going to run.

In the end it all gets back to your belief that Jackson was somehow mishandled, mistreated or was denied an opportunity to show his true potential and to that I merely say bullshit. That's all.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast