Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Metrodome

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Metrodome

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    I personally think they'll do something to keep the noise advantage! Besides if we want the best players we're gonna need a new stadium...
    I think the players only care about money. You can put them in a nuclear waste dump to play football and they would still play. The fans may not show up.

What do players think about:

Hey sprewell, how you feelin' this year making 14 mil and playing on a playoff contender?
    Um, I want more money and a 3 year contract and "my family has got to eat"
    Could we get you a new building to paly in, would that change your attitude?

GREED

Also, there are plenty of really loud outdoor stadiums if they don't keep the roof idea on a new stadium. It is the fans that get loud. The roof does help though no arguements there.

Metrodome

"Frozen Tundran" wrote:
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by vikings_fan66

It would be a little weird seeing them outside ...... but i sure could warm up to a new stadium .... the plans look sweet for it and there will be a retractable roof

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

It just occured to me, are there any league rules on this? Could the Vikings just open or close the roof at their whim? That might seriously affect an opponants gameplan. If the Wams come for a playoff game, could the Vikings stay mum as to the position of the roof until gametime? Imagine the Rams coming in practicing those quick slants all week only to find a frozen field to skate on, never having known. It would be like the old Seventies when the Vikes just froze the Rams out of the playoffs every year.

Then the Giants come in and they close the roof and play turfball.
    Yes, for teh fair advantage of planning, I think there is a rule that they decide ahead of time.

BUT

At the Texan/Chargers game, they opened it the last two minutes. They suspended play for about 10 minutes to talk about it and open the roof.

The lights had gone out that is why they opened it. So they could have natural lighting. Some official had to OK it. and then both coaches had to agree that it wasn't disadvantaging one team more than the other.

purplehorn is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Metrodome

"Vikes4Life" wrote:
    it would be really strange to watch the Vikes at home OUTSIDE! .
    [size=7px][/size]

That's what was echoed when they built the dome. Remember
    the Vikings played outdoors many more years than they have
    played in.
    Green Bay police station toilet stolen.

Cops say they have nothing to go on.

dan3ski is offline Coordinator

Metrodome

No the players do care where they play that was one reason Houston left and went to Tennessee and Philly finally got a new stadium although all those Cadets getting hurt in Philly at the Army-Navy game helped speed that along. I for one think it is about time the Vikings got a nice stadium to play in and I hope it is a football field not a baseball stadium. I was in the old Mile High stadium for one game and I was afraid it was going to colapse at any moment. I swore I would never go back into that stadium! Denver now has a beautifiul stadium. I was even at the very first game (a preseason).
    I hope everyone enjoys the new Viking stadium if and when it is built.
    can we clone Bud Grant?

UTVikfan is offline Coordinator

Metrodome

Houston has no roof and is loud as can be? Hmmmm. Seems the "we need a roof for noise" line is based on fans, not roofs. It is tradition to have the dome? I would take that as a good point for a 14 year old. There is a place outdoors where they used to play football, just so you know. Think Alan Page, short sleeves and laughing at the other team freezing thier asses off. I love our speed on turf, but I hope the heck they play outdoors on grass again. Fans show up in Philly, GB, Buffalo, NY, etc, outdoors. Bet they would to Vikes games as well.

Metrodome

"dan3ski" wrote:
    No the players do care where they play that was one reason Houston left and went to Tennessee and Philly finally got a new stadium although all those Cadets getting hurt in Philly at the Army-Navy game helped speed that along. I for one think it is about time the Vikings got a nice stadium to play in and I hope it is a football field not a baseball stadium. I was in the old Mile High stadium for one game and I was afraid it was going to colapse at any moment. I swore I would never go back into that stadium! Denver now has a beautifiul stadium. I was even at the very first game (a preseason).
    That is a team not players. The players didn't say we are not playing in the AstroDome lets go to Tenn. That had nothing to do with the playing surface or the Dome. Those are excuses for better financial arrangement.

Players play where they are told. Owners on the other hand will keep players from playing in a certain venue because they would like to play in LA and if you are talking about the players as a collective team "keeping players" yes, a stadium might matter.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Metrodome

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    I believe the new stadium would have a roof. The reason why so many teams get new stadiums is becasue the luxury boxes/suites are the only revenue that is not shared. The NFL is like Communism; everything shared.
    That must really piss the Republicans off...as they hate all things even remotely related to Communism. Sorry, still in political mode... :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Metrodome

"UTVikfan" wrote:
    Houston has no roof and is loud as can be? Hmmmm. Seems the "we need a roof for noise" line is based on fans, not roofs. It is tradition to have the dome? I would take that as a good point for a 14 year old. There is a place outdoors where they used to play football, just so you know. Think Alan Page, short sleeves and laughing at the other team freezing thier asses off. I love our speed on turf, but I hope the heck they play outdoors on grass again. Fans show up in Philly, GB, Buffalo, NY, etc, outdoors. Bet they would to Vikes games as well.
    Reliant Stadium is built state of the art and has incorporated accoustics and open air. It is boxy (not the bowl that lets noise out) and it is partially enclosed over the seating areas to keep some of that noise in. It holds the noise along with over 70,000 good football fans.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Metrodome

"dan3ski" wrote:
    I lived in Houston when the Oilers left...and it wasn't the players' choice at all. It was the owner, Bud "Asshole" Adams, who was the catalyst for them leaving...he was holding Houston hostage for a fully-public funded stadium and he didn't want to chip in anything. At least the Texans new owner was willing to put in some of his own money. That being said, Minnesota should do whatever it takes to keep the Vikings in MN, even if it is to fully fund a stadium with public money...it is far worse to lose a team now than it ever was because there may not be any more expansion for awhile...Houston got very lucky in getting the Texans over LA...MN wouldn't be so lucky in the future.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Metrodome

Personally I love the dome and wouldn't have it any other way! I love the atmosphere and the noise! There's nothing better! But that's just me!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast