Prophet Guest

Mess of a success?

Good article.

=================

Mess of a success? Johnson lends calm to Purple's surge
    There are many reasons the Vikings shouldn't be winning, but their backup QB is bringing his method to the madness.
    Jim Souhan, Star Tribune

Last update: November 22, 2005 at 7:18 AM

GREEN BAY, WIS. - Your Vikings, like downtown Manhattan, Dali paintings and Aunt Ethel's hot dish, are a glorious mess.

The Vikings are playing their 37-year-old backup quarterback nobody wanted as a starter last offseason -- yet Brad Johnson is 3-0 in must-win November games for the Purple.

Their offensive line is like that old Abbott & Costello baseball routine -- Who's at guard, What's at center and I Don't Know is at tackle -- yet that line made a joke out of the Packers defense in the second half.

Who, What and I Don't Know cleared the way for the back coach Mike Tice keeps hiding in the equipment room -- Mewelde Moore, who rushed for 122 yards, and might even get the ball again next week.

The Vikings receivers, without Randy Moss to antagonize the Packers, are about as exciting as C-SPAN, but they made enough plays to outscore Brett Favre, with Koren Robinson setting up the game-winning field goal when the Packers left him as uncovered as Pamela Anderson in a home video.

The defense, the weakness of this franchise since Tony Dungy left a decade ago, scored another touchdown, this one a 51-yard interception return by rookie cornerback Dovonte Edwards.

The Vikings are 3-0 in November. They're a glorious mess much like their coach, Tice, who strode onto the Lambeau Field sidelines looking like an extra from the movie "Grease."

Either that, or with his black jacket accessorizing his usual all-black attire, Tice was paying homage to the real man in black -- Johnny Cash.

And now Tice seems to be trying to dance right out of his own personal ring of fire.

On Oct. 30, the Vikings lost Daunte Culpepper because of a season-ending knee injury during an embarrassing loss at Carolina, seemingly ending their ability to compete in the NFC North.

After their 20-17 victory over the Packers on Monday night, the Vikes remain two games behind the Bears, but now the top two teams in the division are racing instead of treading water.

A loss to Green Bay would have ended all but the silliest of hopes, but Tice, when he wasn't wasting timeouts and waving players onto the field like a hyperventilating third base coach, actually learned from his past.

When the Vikings made their final, winning drive, Tice refused to give Favre time for one of his patented Lambeau Field, Vikings-thwarting comebacks. Tice ordered his offense to take its time until Johnson's 35-yard pass to Robinson moved the ball to the Packer 6-yard line with 39 seconds remaining.

That's when Tice did exactly the right thing -- directing Johnson to take a knee on three consecutive plays, running the clock down to three seconds, and watching Paul Edinger win a game with a field goal for the third time in his 10 games in horns.

The Johnson-led Vikings are a triumph of guile over style, an ugly, hang-on-by-your-fingernails squad that is actually justifying the franchise's offseason blueprint -- winning with a ball-control offense and a sound defense.

It is difficult to comprehend such an amateurish organization making such a mature run. The Vikings ownership group again sat in the press box, again violating every basic rule of such edifices by cheering like parents at a Little League game.

This victory came two days after the Vikings issued a 77-page code of conduct that I could sum up in one sentence -- don't do anything illegal, or overly stupid.

And yet since Johnson took over, the Vikings have looked mature when it counts.

Johnson has won his past five starts as a Viking -- the first two of the 1998 season, before he broke his leg and ceded his position to Randall Cunningham -- and the three since Culpepper's injury.

Johnson is 65-44 as an NFL starter, and most of those victories have come for teams that didn't want him for long.

Yes, the 2005 Vikings are a mess of bad publicity, disorganization and desperation, except behind center, where suddenly everything looks cool.

Jim Souhan can be heard Sundays from 10 a.m.-noon on KSTP AM 1500. • [email protected]

Re: Mess of a success?

Good read. I am glad to see the Vikings playing well on all sides of the ball and winning games by beating teams, not just outscoring them. It seems we have a more complete team now.

The part about the owners cheering like little league parents I didn't understand. Are Zygi and Co going crazy during the games or what?
    Skol!
    Go Vikings!

Prophet Guest

"NeoVikesTX" wrote:
    Good read. I am glad to see the Vikings playing well on all sides of the ball and winning games by beating teams, not just outscoring them. It seems we have a more complete team now.

The part about the owners cheering like little league parents I didn't understand. Are Zygi and Co going crazy during the games or what?
    I didn't really understand that part either. I just enjoyed the article and thought it was well written with some humor tossed into the mix.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    "NeoVikesTX" wrote:

I didn't really understand that part either. I just enjoyed the article and thought it was well written with some humor tossed into the mix.
    I think it has something to do with the rule book. They are suppose to be tight fisted no emotion owners if they are going to put out a 77 page code of conduct BOOK. :lol:

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

The Johnson-led Vikings are a triumph of guile over style, an ugly, hang-on-by-your-fingernails squad that is actually justifying the franchise's offseason blueprint -- winning with a ball-control offense and a sound defense.
    This scares me a little. It is exactly the same argument he try to use against the Bears. A team that wins like this, you have to say, "their luck has to run out sooner or later."

We have 3 game winning FGs and the 2 games we won outright were against Det and NO.

This stretch coming up is a real test of character for us. Are we really a mess??

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

Pretty or Ugly or Horny or Dasher or Vixen ..... Whatever it's called, looks like a "W" to me and that is all I care about in the end. Seriously, of course there are things that need to be worked on .... but in the end if we had 1,000 total yds of offense and Lost, we all would be pissed and/or saddened today !!!

Big C is offline Coordinator

I'll come out and say it but Tice deserves credit for handling the O-line yesterday. Starting Fonoti was questionable but I don't think he did any worse than Lewinski. But Tice said if Fonoti falters we have Herrera who has been playing well and deserves time on the field. Well he got his chance in the second half.

Rosey rosey rosey. Got beat the whole day against a good DE. Not getting the job done? Fine, toss him out and throw in the 2nd round draft pick Johnson. Have Kleiney help him out once in a while.

90 rushing yards, less sacks, and 13 points later, I think that worked out just fine. Kudos to Tice for having the balls to rattle the cage when people aren't getting the job done.

Dovonte Edwards - Way to step up!
    K-Rob - The only WR who seems to be open
    Taylor - Kudos for making the play on the 25 yd reception. That set the tone of the offense.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

"Big C" wrote:
    I'll come out and say it but Tice deserves credit for handling the O-line yesterday. Starting Fonoti was questionable but I don't think he did any worse than Lewinski. But Tice said if Fonoti falters we have Herrera who has been playing well and deserves time on the field. Well he got his chance in the second half.

Rosey rosey rosey. Got beat the whole day against a good DE. Not getting the job done? Fine, toss him out and throw in the 2nd round draft pick Johnson. Have Kleiney help him out once in a while.

90 rushing yards, less sacks, and 13 points later, I think that worked out just fine. Kudos to Tice for having the balls to rattle the cage when people aren't getting the job done.

Dovonte Edwards - Way to step up!
    K-Rob - The only WR who seems to be open
    Taylor - Kudos for making the play on the 25 yd reception. That set the tone of the offense.
    Handling the O Line is all Tice can do.

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will