Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

Re: Y.A.C

"VikingD24" wrote:
    Im telling ya...when the Jets DB's are playing 10-15 yards off the WR's & backpeddling, any of us could make those completions. The Jets were playing the soft zone & just trying not to give up the big play over their heads.

But Troy Williamson needs add a yard to his route running. Too often does he makes a grab a yard or 2 shy of the 1st down marker.
    They were bound to be playing tighter than that given the number of times Jackson was blitzed and pressured.
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Is this the YAC your talking about?

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Whats funny is the that a lof of people now think that TWill will be awesome now just because Brad is not in there.

A lot of passes were on the money to him from Brad and he still did not make the grab.

How is a new QB make that any different?

darkflood is offline Starter

"VikingD24" wrote:
    Before too many of us get too carried away with the Travaris-Hype.....let me point this out.

The Jets started playing a pretty soft zone about the time he was put into the game. Now dont get me wrong...I love the kid & I want more than anything for him to be "The Franchise"...but I refuse to let myself get all hopped up over the end of that game.

Theres no doubt he can be a good NFL QB, he's definitely eager, he has the skills.....but lets wait until he gets a complete start under his belt first.

This doesnt have much to do with YAC....but I felt the "Travaris-Hype" of todays 4th quarter is the result of this and many other threads being posted.
    True, he hasn't started a game yet, but all of the sacks I saw brad take today were a result of holding the damn ball too long. It's not that (at this point) Tarvaris is the best QB ever, but look at the spark it put in to this team, this board, etc. I don't think anyone here is crowning him the king, but when was the last time you felt this good after a loss????
    WELL, I LL ASK HIM, BUT I DON T THINK HE WILL BE VERY KEEN. UH, HE S ALREADY GOT ONE, YOU SEE.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

The Routes We Run

I don't know if it's just me who notices this but it seems that the playcalling, especially the WR's patterns do not allow us to gain any YAC at all. Even when TJack was in the game and we were moving the ball and completing passes there was very little YAC(except for MeMo of course that was a sick run) and even when there was the defender was on our guy, but couldn't bring him down immediately. I see other teams run these quick slant routes and the receiver is in the position to gain at least 5 more yards before he is touched. But when we throw it short(all the time) our wide receiver is tackled immediately.

I don't know if that is due to our WRs inability to get open, a QB hanging them out to dry, or the defense we're up against, but it seems clear to me that the YAC just is not there.

Does anyone else notice this?

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

Re: The Routes We Run

You're not the only one:

http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=150&topic=29977.0

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I just think it's a lack of separation. They aren't good enough route runners/fast enough (some a combination of the two, the others just one of the two) to get seperation from the defenders, so when the catch the ball on longer patterns they have defenders right on them and the defenders haven't respected the long ball enough to hang back, so when they do run the quick slants and stuff our receivers are already being pressed.

I think that has been one of the biggest problems with our offense and Brad's lack of productivity. It just doesn't seem like he's had to confidence to let the ball fly. He's running a timing offense but not throwing timing passes, likely because he doesn't have the faith in his receivers he should.

That leads to holding the ball, which leads to sacks. IMO, we need better receivers and Brad should have been releasing the ball a lot quicker most of the season.

Rambro is offline Rookie

From what I've seen, the plays that do allow for YAC, they have been dropped or offensive passing interference was called(very few occasions).

I think quick slants are the best for YAC, especially with quick receivers, somthing that should be called more often.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Merged: The Routes We Run/Y.A.C.

Same topic, two threads, valid points in each = Merge.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Whats funny is the that a lof of people now think that TWill will be awesome now just because Brad is not in there.

A lot of passes were on the money to him from Brad and he still did not make the grab.

How is a new QB make that any different?

The on the money thing is debatable some of the passes that Troy dropped early were but some of the other passes that he was accused of dropping were from badly thrown balls that were high, low, behind or in coverage that the pass shouldn't have been thrown into.

I am not saying it is all of Brad's fault but I am saying some of it was and not just to Troy the passes to everybody were bad and I don't think Brad has accuracy or touch on his passes.

It could make a difference for troy and it might not but is at least worth taking a shot on him to see if he can be a receiver in the NFL or if he can't.
    Who is throwing a pass to a receiver can make a difference would you rather have Payton Manning throwing to you or Mike McMahon or Brad Johnson and would having Payton Manning throwing make a receiver better?
    I think it would.

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12