[size=18px]Moore excited about new offense[/size]
    Versatile back led team in four yardage categories in ’05

By Jim Rueda
    The Free Press

MANKATO —
    Bitter? Not a chance.

Resentful? No way.

Frustrated? Not by any means.

Fourth-year Vikings running back Mewelde Moore went into the offseason with high expectations for 2006. He had just finished a breakout season in which he lead the team in rushing (662 yards), punt returns (245 yards) and ranked third in receiving yards (339 yards).

When Michael Bennett left via free agency and Onterrio Smith was waived, it was apparent Moore would be the top running back when play resumed in September. That all changed on March 11, when the Vikings signed free-agent running back Chester Taylor from Baltimore and quickly anointed him the No. 1 back for 2006.

Few would have blamed Moore for being upset, but that’s not his way. In fact, sitting second or third on the depth chart is something he’s grown accustomed to.

“Ever since I’ve been here it’s been like that,” Moore said this week. “First I was behind Michael Bennett, then they drafted Onterrio and I was behind him, and now they brought in Chester.

“It doesn’t matter to me who’s No. 1 or No. 2, I just want a chance to play and contribute. I’m a football player and I make plays. I’ve been fortunate to be able to do that my first few years here and I’m going to try to continue to do that.”

Moore will undoubtedly get his share of opportunities. Last year he accounted for 1,246 combined yards (662 rushing, 339 receiving, 245 on punt returns, 72 on kickoff returns) and possesses the qualities that make him a natural fit for Childress’ version of the West Coast offense. Moore says he’s excited about the new offense.

“This offense is going to give me the opportunity to catch passes and I’m really happy about that. I love getting my hands on the ball any way I can and it looks like this offense will provide me that chance to contribute.”

Although he is not penciled in as the Vikings’ starting running back for 2006, Moore still has high expectations for 2006.

Moore wants to improve as the team’s primary punt returner (21 returns for 273 yards in 2005), hopes to become a better blocker in the backfield and expects to move the chains when he spells Taylor at running back.

Childress also expects a lot from Moore.

“We know he has the skills to be a pass receiver (out of the backfield),” Childress said.

“He’s the back-up to Chester right now. He has to be able to run it between the tackles (like we expect all our backs to do).”

Moore says the better he knows the offense, the more likely he is to see playing time. That’s why his No. 1 priority in training camp is absorbing the new playbook.

“Training camp is going along well right now,” he said. “I’m going out and applying everything that I’ve been learning and I’m getting better and I’m just learning how to play appropriately in this system.”

Moore excited about new offense

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Re: MeMo excited about new offense

Moore is not a fourth year back. This will be his third year. The article makes it sound like he was drafted before O. Smith, but that s wrong O. Smith was drafted the year before MEMO. A little fishy.
    6949da5ce3db19514b6088f4f00ffabd

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"arialassault84" wrote:
    Moore is not a fourth year back. This will be his third year. The article makes it sound like he was drafted before O. Smith, but that s wrong O. Smith was drafted the year before MEMO. A little fishy.
    You are correct on all points, this is his third year and MeMo was drafted in 2004 and Onterrio was drafted in 2003.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Prophet Guest

I find it difficult to get excited about MeMo. His name is synonymous with mediocre. He should do well in the role he has been given this year. Like RK. and others have mentioned, everyone gets a clean slate now that there is a coaching staff in place that doesn't make V. Young look like a genius. I'm glad to see MeMo is coming in with a good attitude.

JellyBean2144 is offline Pro-Bowler

Cool. Now hopefully he can produce and have a better year.

TARKenton is offline Asst. Coach

Im just happy hes not creating controversy because hes not the starter. thats a great attitude hes displaying and hopefully everyone on the team will follow. Memo wants to contribute to the team and not just his stats.
    ...Rodgers had to hold on the ball longer, giving players like Jared "I am completely insane and will literally eat your children" Allen time to sack Rodgers again.And again. And again. Actually I think Rodgers may have nightmares about Jared Allen the rest of the year.

Json is offline GM

I am happy that he Memo is coming with a great attitude. I hope all the players come in with his mentalitly.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Its great to have a guy like MeMO to back up Chester.I think MeMo is gonna have one of his best years yet.Hes a great change up runner, and he'll do great sharing time with Chester.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

Big C is offline Coordinator

There is one phrase to wrap up Memo's tenure with the Vikings. "Nice guys finish last". No matter how much he produces, no matter what kind of a stand up guy he has been, every season the organization just keeps pushing him back.

I doubt people will realize Memo's talent till he transfers to another team like Preist Holmes and Ahman Green did. Sad but true.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

"Big C" wrote:
    There is one phrase to wrap up Memo's tenure with the Vikings. "Nice guys finish last". No matter how much he produces, no matter what kind of a stand up guy he has been, every season the organization just keeps pushing him back.

I doubt people will realize Memo's talent till he transfers to another team like Preist Holmes and Ahman Green did. Sad but true.
    I think that'll start to change this year. When he's productive in 3rd down situations, he'll be seen as our miniature Bettis. He'll get his time in the sunshine, don't worry.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast