Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    bsmithberkley is offline Pro-Bowler

Re:Meet Albert Young, possible backup to Adrian Peter

kevoncox wrote:
    I would like us to draft Dwyer from GT and see him transition into the 2nd RD. I say you keep a 3rd down back in IJ or RY but ADs back up should remain Dwyer. I love the guy. He is a battering ram and the best big back in College.
    I know you like Dwyer, but, for all his accomplishments he just doesn't measure up as an elite athlete. He is in the bottom of almost every physical measurable except size when comparing him to succesful RBs who came out in last 5 years. And I do mean bottom and I do mean every!

40YD 47 of 47
    Bench 31 of 31
    Vert 29 of 38
    Broad 36 of 38 << Only beat D Sproles & L Washington
    Shuttle 28 of 28
    Cone 29 of 29

That's a lot of red flags for someone who tore it up in college. He is definitely a player I would remeasure before drafting. Unless he was partying his ass off the night before there is no excuse for those types of numbers.

Was it him or was it the offensive system? This is one guy I would take a closer look at before drafting.
    None

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Re:Meet Albert Young, possible backup to Adrian Peter

bsmithberkley wrote:
    kevoncox wrote:
    I would like us to draft Dwyer from GT and see him transition into the 2nd RD. I say you keep a 3rd down back in IJ or RY but ADs back up should remain Dwyer. I love the guy. He is a battering ram and the best big back in College.
    I know you like Dwyer, but, for all his accomplishments he just doesn't measure up as an elite athlete. He is in the bottom of almost every physical measurable except size when comparing him to succesful RBs who came out in last 5 years. And I do mean bottom and I do mean every!

40YD 47 of 47
    Bench 31 of 31
    Vert 29 of 38
    Broad 36 of 38 << Only beat D Sproles & L Washington
    Shuttle 28 of 28
    Cone 29 of 29

That's a lot of red flags for someone who tore it up in college. He is definitely a player I would remeasure before drafting. Unless he was partying his ass off the night before there is no excuse for those types of numbers.

Was it him or was it the offensive system? This is one guy I would take a closer look at before drafting.
    Maybe now he could be had for a 3rd...?
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

Re:Meet Albert Young, possible backup to Adrian Pe

idahovikefan7 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    idahovikefan7 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    idahovikefan7 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    idahovikefan7 wrote:
    May the best man win...
    Win what?

We carry 3 RB's. They shoud both make the roster, based on who we currently have under contract.
    second sting/3rd down back? barring we don't sign a back in the draft.
    Isn't that like saying that Rice is ahead of PH on the WR chart when in fact the two of them are on the roster and are used in different packages.

Were they sit on the depth chart has nothing to do with playing time. If the situation dictates one over the other, that cat will go in.
    Either way there is going to be a fight for that second spot. Hell if we draft a back then there will be a fight to be on the final roster. IJ prob wants to get away from the practice squad.
    I'm sure he does. He gets paid more if he makes the 53 man roster (I suspect).

As to drafting a cat, I guess that could be true but I don't think it would be much of a competition if the cat was drafted high. My guess is IJ would still stay on the PS.
    Ya I'm curious to see what happens with our RB situation. Since we did go after LT, I'm not sure there is complete confidence in what we have now. I can see us drafting a back in the later rounds of the draft. It will interesting to see.
    If the front office isn't conficent of what we have now, do you really think they'll draft a rookie in the latter rounds? Why would they? We need an experienced third down back that is capable of protecting the QB and keep AD fresh.
    I hope Albert Young is that guy but I really have to see first to believe it.
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re:Meet Albert Young, possible backup to Adrian Pe

Mr-holland wrote:
    If the front office isn't conficent of what we have now, do you really think they'll draft a rookie in the latter rounds? Why would they? We need an experienced third down back that is capable of protecting the QB and keep AD fresh.
    I hope Albert Young is that guy but I really have to see first to believe it.
    Thats a damn fine post right there.

I would even go so far as to say they aren't gonna draft one of the top 5 in the earlier rounds. Mostly because of the type of Backs they are along with thier injury issues each of them have.

Spiller. Compared to Sproles. I don't think he is that specialized most of his scouting reports say that he doesn't shy from going up the middle but I do think he is better suited as a outside runner instead of a pounder.

I like how he played through the foot injury last year without missing a game.

Mathews. I like this kid. A true pounder that can do it all if healthy. Problem is, he has sustained injuries to his head (concussion), ankle, collarbone, knee and foot over his career, missing seven full games due to injury and portions of several others, including the fourth quarter in four games in 2009.

Best. Getting into the bottom of the first/2nd round backs now.

Most scouting reports say that he shys away from banging it in the middle and is better suited as a outside guy. Has struggled to stay healthy, missed spring practices following offseason foot and elbow surgery in 2009 along with suffering a concussion and back injury against Oregon State after getting flipped in the air while scoring a touchdown. Missed the final four games of the season, including the team's bowl game.

In 20089 he sat out spring practices resting a hip injury suffered following the previous season. Missed the Arizona game due to a dislocated elbow suffered against Colorado State.

Dwyer. Only fault I can find with this cat is the drops he had at the combine. Are they an indicator that he can't catch? One scouting report says he did better at his proday, but there is still a question out there.

What I like is that he is a 1 cut back, which fits our ZB scheme and he hasn't suffered any injuries, at least none that he couldn't play through.

Seems to be a good blocker and isnt' afraid to hit it up in the middle. I would draft this guy in the second if available.

Toby Gerhart. I like this guy, however, based on his size/speed, I think he will be converted over to a FB at the next level.

Hardesty. Our new, good friend, bsmithberkley has been championing this kids cause rather nicely in the other thread. Some real potential, but again, what I don't like about him is that he entered his senior campaign with only six starts in 36 career games and having never carried the ball more than 107 times in a season. From what I can find it appears he has had a torn ACL (2005), ankle sprains (2007) and a stress fracture (2008).

Kindof a draft at your own risk kindof cat IMHO.

Which brings me back to your point,
    We need an experienced third down back that is capable of protecting the QB and keep AD fresh.
    Just maybe, that experienced back is Albert Young.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456