Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries

Re:Meet Albert Young, possible backup to Adrian Peter

Marrdro wrote:
    Freakout wrote:
    Well my fear is coming true.
    Comeon my friend. Nothing to fear. Hell, us Vikings fans should be used to the coaching staff and how they run younsters out.

With a couple of exceptions, they all have worked out pretty good, even though it did take some time.

In short, nothing to fear my friend but [strike]fear itself [/strike]no cold beer in the fridge.
    I just don't believe Young is that versatile. Hasn't shown much in games when it comes to catching out of the back field. No one is going to easily replace Chester but I hope Young isn't their main plan.

I'm well aware of the way they work youngsters into the mix but not all youngsters has turned out for us so it isn't a guaranteed situation.

I have no faith in Peterson fixing his fumbling problems so having Albert Young as the fallback doesn't inspire confidence.

Our strength was and still should be our running game but I feel it has been severely weakened.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Can he play quarterback?
    We're bringing purple back.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer

Marrdro wrote:
    Minniman wrote:
    Albert Young has not played well against third string defenses; why should he be expected to do better against the top dogs?

Ian Johnson is quicker, more agile, and larger. He has more upside.

Then again, I do not see them each day in practice.
    When did you see him play against 3rd string defenses? Only time I saw him this year, he was going against the 1rst string defense. :huh:
    I do watch some preseason games.

Sorry about that.

Re:Meet Albert Young, possible backup to Adrian Pe

Minniman wrote:
    Albert Young has not played well against third string defenses; why should he be expected to do better against the top dogs?

+1 Ian Johnson definately has more of an upside than young IMO. I just haven't seen much out of young, no big plays. After watching Ian through
    out his college career, I have seen what he can do. He has the speed and agility to make big plays as well as good hands. I hope he beats AY for the spot.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Freakout wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Freakout wrote:
    Comeon my friend. Nothing to fear. Hell, us Vikings fans should be used to the coaching staff and how they run younsters out.

With a couple of exceptions, they all have worked out pretty good, even though it did take some time.

In short, nothing to fear my friend but [strike]fear itself [/strike]no cold beer in the fridge.
    I just don't believe Young is that versatile. Hasn't shown much in games when it comes to catching out of the back field. No one is going to easily replace Chester but I hope Young isn't their main plan.

I'm well aware of the way they work youngsters into the mix but not all youngsters has turned out for us so it isn't a guaranteed situation.

I have no faith in Peterson fixing his fumbling problems so having Albert Young as the fallback doesn't inspire confidence.

Our strength was and still should be our running game but I feel it has been severely weakened.
    I understand, and have, all of the same concerns you have. For me, though, I am a bit more open minded when it comes to what the younger players can (yes we don't know for sure) bring to the table.

Rationale behind that is, to date, it appears our staff has done a very good job of drafting players that fit the mold of what the coaches want. Having said that, it is my understanding that a staff will look forward in time and anticipate losses with respect to personnel.

What does that all mean? In a nutshell it means that the FO pukes should have known 2 years ago that CT (actually should know this stuff for the whole roster) wasn't gonna be resigned and should have addressed that loss by drafting some young talent that could eventually replace him.

My guess is that AY and IJ were drafted/brought in for that very reason.

Back to your point about not seeing him "Catch the ball". Of course we haven't seen much of it. In most instances that he was brought in, it was kindof a "Grind out the clock" approach to what the offense was doing.

That in and of itself doesn't lend to RB's catching passes out of the backfield, but what it did display was that he can run the ball and maintain positive control of it at a time when we don't need to put the ball on the carpet.

Back to "Catching". I am also very comfortable, again based on the staffs previous successes with players, that cats like AY and Ian wouldn't be on this staff if they didn't have the skillsets to catch the ball out of the backfield. Heck, even AD has gotten better at it so I know they work on it.

If those two cats weren't at least showing some sort of perpensity to catch a dump off pass, my guess, they would have been gone long ago and someone else would have filled that roster spot and would have been plugged into the training pipeline all young players should go through prior to being run out onto the field.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Freakout wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Freakout wrote:

I understand, and have, all of the same concerns you have. For me, though, I am a bit more open minded when it comes to what the younger players can (yes we don't know for sure) bring to the table.

Rationale behind that is, to date, it appears our staff has done a very good job of drafting players that fit the mold of what the coaches want. Having said that, it is my understanding that a staff will look forward in time and anticipate losses with respect to personnel.

What does that all mean? In a nutshell it means that the FO pukes should have known 2 years ago that CT (actually should know this stuff for the whole roster) wasn't gonna be resigned and should have addressed that loss by drafting some young talent that could eventually replace him.

Back to your point about not seeing him "Catch the ball". Of course we haven't seen much of it. In most instances that he was brought in, it was kindof a "Grind out the clock" approach to what the offense was doing.

That in and of itself doesn't lend to RB's catching passes out of the backfield, but what it did display was that he can run the ball and maintain positive control of it at a time when we don't need to put the ball on the carpet.

Back to "Catching". I am also very comfortable, again based on the staffs previous successes with players, that cats like AY and Ian wouldn't be on this staff if they didn't have the skillsets to catch the ball out of the backfield. Heck, even AD has gotten better at it so I know they work on it.

If those two cats weren't at least showing some sort of perpensity to catch a dump off pass, my guess, they would have been gone long ago and someone else would have filled that roster spot and would have been plugged into the training pipeline all young players should go through prior to being run out onto the field.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Freakout wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Freakout wrote:

Wow, I got a triple post out of that one...... :lol:

Re:Meet Albert Young, possible backup to Adrian Pe

idahovikefan7 wrote:
    Minniman wrote:

+1 Ian Johnson definately has more of an upside than young IMO. I just haven't seen much out of young, no big plays. After watching Ian through
    out his college career, I have seen what he can do. He has the speed and agility to make big plays as well as good hands. I hope he beats AY for the spot.
    Again, you guys watched them in college. Seems one has more history catching passes and the other doesn't.

In the end, I don't care who wins the job, but I just can't help getting that feeling I get this time of year when it comes to you guys inputs on cats like these. In most instances someone always says thier collegiate cat is better than another collegiate cat mostly cause they cheered for him in school.

For me, I don't have that affiliation so all I do is look at scouting reports. If one says a guy is a good pass catcher and the other guy can develop into a pass catcher, I am going with the guy that is a good pass catcher as the best option.

AY, projected as a 3rd down back at the next level. By the way, 9.22 yards per catch is pretty good if you ask me.

SI Albert Young Draft Profile

Says he could develop into a pass catcher out of the backfield.

Ian Johnson Scouting report

Like Marddro, I like both of these guys. I'm just happy the "name recoginition" crap is out of the way so we can start developing new talent. It will seem like a long road, but I think either of these guys will step up this year.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast