Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Re: The media hates Jackson, and you're soaking it all in...!

"nailhead77" wrote:
    he had to win the games to get in the playoffs.

one of those had to be considered a big game.
    winning the national championship is kinda big..... what has tjack done compared to that?
    I agree. While some of the analysts might give Vince too much NFL credit and view him as better than he really is I can see why their was so much hype. He is a phenominal athlete and a proven winner.

Of course the top ten pick is gonna get more hype than a 2nd rounder. Should ESPN be covering Booty the same way they cover Matt Ryan? Both have the exact same NFL resume.

Basically Vince Young became a national star/celebrity/hero when he put Texas on his back and beat out a team that most though was unbeatable in USC. It was probably one of the top 5 memorable sporting events I have ever watched.
    I still believe that Vince is capable of being a pro-bowl caliber QB in the NFL based solely on that one game I watched him play. You may want to completely seperate NFL experience and college but in the real world that is not how it works. Draft position really decides what the expectations for that player are. In Vince's case top 5 pick means he should be a superstar. In tjacks case late 2nd rounder mean he is mediocre until he proves other wise(and he hasn't so far).

It is really to the vikings advantage to have the underrated guy if in fact they are of about equal talent. They get him at a much cheaper price and were able to use their first rounder on someone else(greenway).

It would be nice though to see atleast one national media guy talk about this comparison, I bet a lot of people would be shocked at how close the numbers are. I know I was.

nailhead77 is offline Starter

a brilliant post!
    I put a sig on here before, but it expired?
    Now i have tried again but seem to be retarded.......oh well,

Floop the bears!

T Jack is are Quarterback . Cant wait for next year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSZui599VfI

Too much talent

Json is offline GM

What an absolute excellent post man!
    You said everything I have wanted to say about T. Jax and I truly enjoyed reading your points.
    Great addition with the article links etc.
    Thanks for taking some time out of your life to shine the light on an issue that is always debatable.
    I for 1 think you hit it right on the nose and cant' agree more.

Thanks again!

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries

I'm not a fan of both.
    I just don't understand why certain people use Vince as a comparison for Jackson.
    Shouldn't you be aiming at someone that is actually very good now but maybe started off slow?

Why no comparisons to Peyton, Favre, Brady, etc...
    or Leinart, Cutler.

In my opinion arguing between Jackson and Young is like saying you would prefer a punch to the face over a kick to the crouch.
    I would prefer neither.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

"nailhead77" wrote:
    winning the national championship is kinda big..... what has tjack done compared to that?
    Not to take the NC game away from Young, it was proberly one of the best games ever.. And he had a very nice game, but the refs did screw USC big time..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

"Freakout" wrote:
    I'm not a fan of both.
    I just don't understand why certain people use Vince as a comparison for Jackson.
    Shouldn't you be aiming at someone that is actually very good now but maybe started off slow?

Why no comparisons to Peyton, Favre, Brady, etc...
    or Leinart, Cutler.

In my opinion arguing between Jackson and Young is like saying you would prefer a punch to the face over a kick to the crouch.
    I would prefer neither.
    Don't know about you but i'd take a punch in the face anytime!!

Why they are compared is because they are alike. their styles are alike and their numbers are somewhat alike
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer

"JeffSeimon" wrote:
    I would say Jacksons 8-4 record was due in part to Adrian Petersons success.
    Was Vince Young facing 8 in the box most of the time? If he was I would think his numbers would be way better than Tjacks.
    I personally think TJ has hope but am glad we have another young qb to challenge him.
    Do you not remember when AP got hurt and the team won 4 games in a row?
    I do.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "nailhead77" wrote:

Winning the national championship in college is smaller on every level than being named the starter for any of the 32 NFL teams.

And Tennessee made it into the playoffs on the easiest schedule of all play off teams.
    Their last five games (which they went 4-1 in) were Houston, San Diego, KC, NY Jets, and Indianapolis (and Indy was resting half of their team).
    San Diego was the only quality team that they played in that stretch, and they lost.

It is very reminiscent to the 7-2 streak that Brad Johnson took us on in 2005.
    Of those 9 teams, only Pittsburgh and the Giants were decent, and we lost to Pittsburgh.
    We beat the giants only because of a kickoff return for a TD, an INT return for a TD, and a punt return for a TD.

Vince Young has done nothing in his NFL career to warrant any kind of praise.
    Neither has TJack.
    They are pretty much equal.
    How is being the sole reason your team won the national college championship smaller than being an NFL starter? Every year their are probably 50+ starting QB's in the NFL. There is only one college champion(sometimes 2 i think). Most sports fans know what Vince Young did in college, how many can name every QB that started in 2007?

Just listen to Jaworski.
    He's the only one that seems to know what he's talking about when it comes to evaluating QBs for their actual play, and not just recycling the same garbage everyone else is throwing out.

But I happen to think that both of these QBs are improving and can be effective long term.
    Jackson we've seen and the upswing in his stats the second half of the season has been widely noted here.
    Personally, I think he's fine if he can learn to make faster and better decisions when facing a pass rush.

But I want to make the case for Vince Young too, since everyone here seems to think he's garbage.
    The thing everyone is pointing out for him is that he threw 9 TDs and 17 INTs this year, compared with 12 TDs and 13 INTs last year.
    That's a bad stat, no doubt.
    But some of that is just bad luck and some is his receiving crew.
    His top three WRs last year?
    Roydell Williams, Justin Gage, and Bo Scaife.
    Ouch.
    Two very key stats that you should look at in judging a QB are completion percentage and yards/attempt.
    In those categories Young improved from 51.5% to 62.3% and from 6.2 Y/A to 6.7 Y/A.
    So I don't think he had a slump - he improved in key areas.
    The TD and INT numbers will come around for him eventually, and he'll be just fine.

So I agree that these two QBs are similar in terms of NFL production and yet very different in terms of media coverage.
    But I disagree with everyone that thinks those similarities mean they are both terrible.
    I think both can be good QBs in the future if given the chance.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast