Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 132
  1. #1
    audioghost is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,005

    The media hates Jackson, and you're soaking it all in...!

    It is obvious that the national media does not like Tavaris Jackson. As the Vikings drafted John David Booty, several media pundits had to write about how Booty will "challenge Jackson for a starting job". Anytime anything positive about the Vikings comes on ESPN, it always seems to end with "if only the Vikings had a QB". NOW, I've defended Jackson, but I cannot say he's been great so far. However, we must look at this kid with realistic expectations...I mean, did you really expect this guy to look like Randall Cunningham in only his 1st season as the solidified starting QB? What did you expect? The guy posted an 8-4 record, and he was the only QB on the team who was capable of winning a game (Jackson accounted for all 8 wins last season).

    However, unlike most Jackson supporters on this site, I come with a compelling argument. What if the Vikings had Vince Young? Everyone would look onto next season with optimism about our starting QB situation...would they not? Why is this? Is it because Vince Young is a big name college superstar who was hyped up extensively coming out of college and Jackson was a D1-AA player in a pass-friendly system? Was it because Young led his team to the playoffs in only his 2nd season as a starter or is it because he single-handedly won a national championship in front of the entire nation (what a hero)? The fact of the matter is that Young is portrayed as a blossoming young assassin and Jackson is portrayed as a wasted draft pick and a kid with no future.

    Examples: Young as "Mr. Budding Superstar"

    http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080312/COLUMNIST0501/803120426
    Apparently, Young is good enough to grace the cover of ESPN the Magazine...why isnt Jackson?

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jim_trotter/03/04/tennessee-titans/index.html
    It seems as if the problem isn't Vince Young, its that he has no supporting cast?!

    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=3355802
    He's not a horrible passer! He's just a product of his environment!?

    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=3184299
    Young is great...a "magic producer"! HE HAS NO HELP!!!!!!

    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=3184011
    He's the youngest QB to start a playoff game...boy, is he awesome!?

    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=3169502
    Its just a "sophomore slump", he's not a bad QB...we're not calling for him to be ousted.

    Examples: Jackson as "Sucky D-1AA bust"

    http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3167908&searchName=nfl_nfc&action=lo gin&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2 fespn%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d3167908%26searchN ame%3dnfl_nfc
    Why are we relying on Jackson...this P.O.S. can't win a game?!

    http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3171056&searchName=nfl_nfc&action=lo gin&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2 fespn%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d3171056%26searchN ame%3dnfl_nfc
    Jackson is horrible?! He'll never be good in the NFL...ever! He shouldn't start next year!

    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=3058033
    Jackson is uncapable of winning!!!




    The Stats tell the story:
    2007 T-Jack v V-Young
    QBrat 70.8 71.1
    Comp% 58.2 62.3
    ATT 171 238
    YDs 1911 2546
    YDs/G 159.2 169.7
    TD 9 9
    INT 12 17
    G 12 16
    W-L 8-4 10-6
    WIN% .667 .6
    1D% 32.3 36.9
    RYDs 260 395
    RTD 3 3
    TDTOT 12 12

    Jackson and Young are very similar if you look at the stats. Jackson has a better win % last year in the games he started and he has the same amount of TDs w/ less INTs than Young. Sure, Young threw for about 500 more yards, but he started 4 more games. The difference is about 10 yds per game, but I'll take that if you tell me that it was between 10 yards and a 5 INT difference. Young rushed for a few more yards as well, but again, in 4 more games. They each had 12 total TDs and you could argue that Jackson was almost exactly the same as Young, stat-wise.

    So why are you, the "die-hard Vikings fans" so down on Tavaris Jackson? You don't see Titans fans calling for Vince Young's head...maybe its because people in Minnesota are more racist than in Tennessee? I've heard this argument...but its not as likely as the fact that you are all buying into the national media's hate-fest on Jackson. You listen to so-called "experts" like Sean Salisbury and Merrill Hoge (2 hoge-poge backups that could only wish to get on the field) tell you that Jackson sucks, and that the Vikings will not win until he is ousted from his position. However, they portray Young as a developing superstar, although his numbers mirror Jackson's. Why is this? Bias. They are biased for Young because they saw a ton of his games in college and he proved to be a superstar at the college level. I can guarentee that they never saw Jackson play at Alabama State, so he is judged purely on his performance thus far in nationally televised games (I doubt they watch all the Vikings games, local or otherwise). Young, on the other hand, always gets the benefit of the doubt, and the national media, in turn, influences all of you ESPN-worshipping knuckleheads.

    Moral of the story: DONT BE SWAYED BY THE OPINION OF THE NATIONAL MEDIA! Brett Favre choked and lost the game single-handedly for the Packers in the NFC Championship game, a meltdown of catastrophic proportions, indeed. However, not once did the national media blame Favre for the Packers loss...if that was Tavaris Jackson, it would have been different. The media chooses who they are going to portray as heroes and who they are going to portray as goats. Jackson is a goat in the eyes of the national media (which isn't fair to him), and he will have to do twice as good as Vince Young to even get "on his level" in the eyes of the national media.

    You have a brain...use it to think for yourself! Jackson is a young guy who deserves another chance as a starter. A QBs first year starting in the NFL is not a sufficient yardstick to measure his talent and potential. Jackson has a cannon arm (a better arm than Young, in fact) and is just as elusive as Vince Young on foot, yet he is profiled as a "loser" who is not the future of the franchise. Don't buy into the hype, if you let the national media influence you with no concrete 'facts' you are a sheep to the system. Baaah. Yeah, thats you.

    These "analysts" analyze each game at 7:30 ET on Sunday...with 10-12 games going on at 3 hrs each, they'd need 30-36 hours to watch every snap of every game! These guys don't watch entire Vikings games unless they're nationally televised on Sunday or Monday night! We are the people who have seen Jackson play every snap of his career, we should be the judge. They see only the highlights, which are misleading, at best. Its like someone persuading you that your best friend is an a-hole when you hang out with him all the time and they only see him every once in a while, at best. We know the real Jackson, they do not...my point being, form your own opinion...so many people are swayed by the national media. If you want to hear a REAL opinion, listen to KFAN, those are the only people that really know...national media pundits are stupid...and the media is biased...period...don't believe the hype.

    A.G s HOTTEST NEW RAP CD: AUDIO GHOST & MAIN EVENT drop THE SEED: I made tha beats www.myspace.com/audioghost2006

  2. #2
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re: The media hates Jackson, and you're soaking it all in...!

    You my friend can make a good arguement.
    Not sure if I agree with all of this but I do agree with a damn good share of it.

    I like to watch the talking heads say that a certain starting QB for the Vikings isn't any good when they can't even pronounce or spell that certain QB's name.


    (Key note.
    Come on guys.
    Let me off that damn promise.
    This is way to hard.
    NO MORE SR49
    ;D).
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  3. #3
    JeffSeimon's Avatar
    JeffSeimon is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    225

    Re: The media hates Jackson, and you're soaking it all in...!

    I would say Jacksons 8-4 record was due in part to Adrian Petersons success.
    Was Vince Young facing 8 in the box most of the time? If he was I would think his numbers would be way better than Tjacks.
    I personally think TJ has hope but am glad we have another young qb to challenge him.

  4. #4
    mountainviking's Avatar
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,840

    Re: The media hates Jackson, and you're soaking it all in...!

    Hmm, so, Young has all this experience.
    Started for a big school, started more games, etc, yet the same stats as TJack, but with more INTs to the same TDs.
    So far, looks to me like Jackson has the upper hand.


    Well, we get to play them on their turf in game 4...looks like we'll get to see first hand.
    Talk about two similar teams...great running game, good defense, a young QB and questionable WRs.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

    "Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

  5. #5
    audioghost is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,005

    Re: The media hates Jackson, and you're soaking it all in...!

    "JeffSeimon" wrote:
    I would say Jacksons 8-4 record was due in part to Adrian Petersons success.
    Was Vince Young facing 8 in the box most of the time? If he was I would think his numbers would be way better than Tjacks.
    I personally think TJ has hope but am glad we have another young qb to challenge him.
    Everyone does...apparently...why this is? I don't know...

    There is no proof either way...so at this point both are equal, but they're not portrayed that way.

    Its unfair to Jackson I think...it seems like he has more to prove since he's from a D-1AA school...thats not fair in my opinion.

    A.G s HOTTEST NEW RAP CD: AUDIO GHOST & MAIN EVENT drop THE SEED: I made tha beats www.myspace.com/audioghost2006

  6. #6
    seaniemck7's Avatar
    seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    1,453

    Re: The media hates Jackson, and you're soaking it all in...!

    /golfclap AG

    A for effort
    B- for the debate with some valid statements in that post nonetheless.

  7. #7
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re: The media hates Jackson, and you're soaking it all in...!

    "JeffSeimon" wrote:
    I would say Jacksons 8-4 record was due in part to Adrian Petersons success.
    Was Vince Young facing 8 in the box most of the time? If he was I would think his numbers would be way better than Tjacks.
    I personally think TJ has hope but am glad we have another young qb to challenge him.
    Teams face 8 and 9 man fronts all the time.

    Its really called a Zone Blitz which is designed to take away the running game as well as to force the QB to make a quick decision between throw, run or get sacked.

    Truth of the matter is that even without AD most teams would Zone Blitz us (as they did VY) to get the same result.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  8. #8
    nailhead77 is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    281

    Re: The media hates Jackson, and you're soaking it all in...!

    v. young gets the love because he's proven he can win big games.

    stats only matter in baseball. i,m not saying id rather have young but so far he is a winner.
    tjacks 8-4 record is misleading, i could have played qb and won the game against the giants
    I put a sig on here before, but it expired?
    Now i have tried again but seem to be retarded.......oh well,

    Floop the bears!

  9. #9
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The media hates Jackson, and you're soaking it all in...!

    Nice post.


    I actually think that TJack and Young are very similar.
    That, however, isn't a compliment to TJack in my book.

    I like what I see when TJack plays well.
    I do not like what I see when he doesn't.
    He is wildly inconsistent, which is actually a big difference between him and Young.
    Young consistently sucked last year.
    I actually think he can better be compared to Grossman, as sad as that is.

    I think one of three scenarios will happen this year with TJack.

    1) For the majority of the 2008 season, he consistently plays like he did against Denver.
    His starting spot in 2009 is unquestioned.
    2) For the majority of the 2008 season, he consistently plays like he did in the first Detroit game.
    His demotion in 2009 is unquestioned.
    3) He improves in 2008, but overall remains inconsistent.

    Option #3 is my biggest fear.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  10. #10
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The media hates Jackson, and you're soaking it all in...!

    "nailhead77" wrote:
    v. young gets the love because he's proven he can win big games.

    stats only matter in baseball. i,m not saying id rather have young but so far he is a winner.
    tjacks 8-4 record is misleading, i could have played qb and won the game against the giants
    Umm, what big games in the NFL has young won?
    To the best of my knowledge, he has a 0-1 record in the playoffs, so that means he has won exactly as many as TJack has.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Veteran cornerback is soaking it all in
    By Zeus in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-24-2010, 10:19 PM
  2. NFL hates the vikings, think about it.
    By SharperImage42 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 12-04-2008, 09:25 AM
  3. Jackson soaking up lessons
    By cogitans in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-11-2007, 04:06 PM
  4. Dr. Z hates Cornholio
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-08-2007, 09:31 PM
  5. Who hates work more than me?
    By parsongeorge in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-15-2004, 06:06 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •