Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

McMahon won't leave angry

Posted on Sat, Sep. 02, 2006

[size=13pt]McMahon won't leave angry[/size]
    O'Sullivan also likely to be released

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

Although the Vikings' acquisition of Brooks Bollinger became official Friday afternoon, quarterback Mike McMahon remained diplomatic about his future with the club.

In a brief interview Friday, McMahon said he is ready to accept whatever decision coach Brad Childress makes today.

"Coach has to do what's best for the football team," McMahon said. "I understand it's a business. If it's good news for me, great. If not, it's time for me to move on, and hopefully I get another opportunity."

McMahon said Childress informed him of the trade Thursday afternoon, while they were at the team hotel.

"He told me because he didn't want me to be blindsided before or after the game," McMahon said.

Asked if he appreciated that, McMahon said, "You do appreciate that, because it would have been tough to find out during the game."

This presumably ends a strange run between Childress and McMahon. After starting seven games for Childress last year in Philadelphia, McMahon opted to continue that relationship in Minnesota. In fact, McMahon skipped a scheduled visit with the Denver Broncos and signed a two-year, $2 million deal with the Vikings that included a $400,000 signing bonus. While he was solid in training camp practices, McMahon performed miserably in the exhibition games. By the end, he had the fewest series (six) of all the quarterbacks, and he was the only one not to play Thursday in Dallas.

For the preseason, which he previously called the worst of his career, McMahon completed just 4 of 16 passes for 87 yards, with no touchdowns and one interception. His passer rating was a woeful 23.7.

His poor play compelled the Vikings to consider other veterans, and they inquired about A.J. Feeley, after his release from the San Diego Chargers. But Feeley re-signed with the Eagles.

The Vikings then traded defensive tackle C.J. Mosley to the New York Jets, along with what is believed to be a seventh-round pick, for Bollinger.

Mosley and Bollinger passed their physicals, making the trade official, a Vikings spokesman said Friday afternoon.

J.T. O'Sullivan also is expected to be released.

Running on empty: The Vikings' starting offense had its positive moments of the preseason. But few were on run plays.

The Vikings ran the ball 114 times but gained just 375 yards, an average of 3.3 yards a carry. Starter Chester Taylor averaged a dismal 2.6 yards a carry.

The club didn't fare much better. Overall, the Vikings' 375 rushing yards ranked 21st in the NFL, and their yards per carry was tied for 25th in the league.

Childress wasn't concerned.

"That's a pretty salty front," Childress said of the Dallas Cowboys' defensive line. "If they're loading the front, that's why you get 40-yard passes to Troy Williamson. By nature, that Dallas front is going to stop the run. So you got to be able to take advantage of that."

Stadium visit: Vikings owner Zygi Wilf and his brother Mark chatted with Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones for 90 minutes Thursday. Joined by limited partner Richard Mandelbaum and vice president Lester Bagley, the Wilf brothers were briefed by Jones on the Cowboys' stadium efforts.

The Cowboys got approval to build a new stadium in Arlington.

Bagley, accompanied by other vice presidents Steve LaCroix and Steve Poppen, toured the stadium site Wednesday without the owners.

"It's a different market," Bagley said. "It's top five, so there are differences. But nonetheless, they had a public campaign, and now they've dug a hole. It's a process we're going through. They're just ahead a year or so. It's also (helpful) to talk to other clubs who've been down that path."

Briefly: Linebacker Heath Farwell led the Vikings with 32 tackles, more than the two players who tied for second with 13 apiece (safety Greg Blue and cornerback Antoine Winfield) combined. And Farwell didn't get much help; 29 of them were solo tackles.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

Re: McMahon won't leave angry

I won't be angry either when McMahon leaves.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

man.. thats interesting..

i expected to see mcmahon be a backup in minny for a few years, but after watching his play (or lack there of), it's not hurting me too much to watch
    i m better than you, so just give up...

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Youknow the old saying...
    Don't walk away angry, just walk away

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

u know what would be ironic.. he gets picked up by someone.. becomes 3rd string.. and somehow he plays.. and does some miracle games..

i know it's far fetched but stranger things have happend.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

WBLVikeBabe is offline Jersey Retired

Mike Macmahon sucks!
    I'm curious about what Brooks Bollinger can do though cause I would like T Jack to be our backup, but we'll see.

[move]My beautiful sig made by the one and only PPE![/move]

"digital420" wrote:
    u know what would be ironic.. he gets picked up by someone.. becomes 3rd string.. and somehow he plays.. and does some miracle games..

i know it's far fetched but stranger things have happend.

DiGiTaL
    I dare you to try and name one thing that I will think is stranger than that. And, no, Daunte Culpepper leading a comeback doesnt count.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

im so glad that he wont be here, i didnt like him much last year, and it killed me inside to see how poorly he played in purple, bye-bye mike, good luck elsewhere

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Mike you don't have to go away mad, but just go away!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

vike_mike is offline Pro-Bowler

Never should have picked him up in the first place.
    I am a bit skeptical of our judging of talent.
    Of all the players to get, we get McMahon and Pinkston, McMullen too!
    We need some more talent scouts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast