Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    I think the objective is to pick up the first down regardless of the distance, but here is a site that takes distance into account and creates a modified rating for each qb. Ponder is 15th on this list (1.1% above average). His average "to go" distance was 7.52 yards. Cassell is 14th on this list.
    How much of that was caused by YAC and how much was it in the air?

Mark_The_Viking is offline Asst. Coach
    I think without doubt this is the year that a real decision will be made on our QB for the future. If Ponder crashed and I think he will, Cassell will be plugged in and take us to the seasons end in the dome.

Next year we play outside in a smaller place and will have a high draft QB at the helm. As a team we can't afford to spend another year in the QB doldrums.

That being said next year is also a time when we will probably lose JA and Kwill who will need to be replaced. Tough times ahead for the FO getting next years draft right
    Purple till i die

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    I think the objective is to pick up the first down regardless of the distance, but here is a site that takes distance into account and creates a modified rating for each qb. Ponder is 15th on this list (1.1% above average). His average "to go" distance was 7.52 yards. Cassell is 14th on this list.

Which Passers Were Most Effective on Third Down in 2012?

The one area that Ponder had decent results was in 3rd down conversions and red zone efficiency. This is what Frazier has stated that he is looking for in his QB. He wants to run the offense through AD and when they need the QB to make a play, they expect him to make it.
    Ponder's Net Yards per Attempt on third downs was still only 5.56 yards (with YAC) which ranks 22nd in the league.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Ponder's Net Yards per Attempt on third downs was still only 5.56 yards (with YAC) which ranks 22nd in the league.
    Add in the conversion rate with the yards needed for a first down and you get the rating that was quoted in the second article (15th overall). The objective is to get the first down, not increase your net yards.

A lot of the reason why we face a lot of 3rd and shorts is because of the running game and short passes. Penalties are what kill us. Also note, that we are more apt to pass then run on 3rd and short even with AD.

Quote Originally Posted by battleaxe4cheese View Post
    Less accurate than Ponder? Huh? What footage have you been watching? Ponder is abysmal beyond 10 yards. Hell, he sucks passed 5 yards. Of all the quarterback play through preseason McLeod was the only one who could hit guys on the numbers with any regularity.

If it wasn't for Percy Harvin and the bubble screens last year, Ponders numbers would have been obscenely worse which were wretched to begin with.

Our quarterback has the same number of yards as our running back. Do you realize the grotesque nature of that statistic? It's never been worse in the history of the league. That speaks for itself.

Am I saying McLeod is a better overall quarterback than Ponder right now? Not necessarily, but he can't be any worse.
    1973 Buffalo Bills

OJ Simpson averaged over 6.03 ypc
    Jeff Ferguson their QB averaged 5.7 ypa
    I stand corrected. You have to admit though second worse in nfl history isn't exactly comforting.
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by battleaxe4cheese View Post
    I stand corrected. You have to admit though second worse in nfl history isn't exactly comforting.
    I didn't check all of them, just guessed on this one and looked it up to see.

Regardless of what AD ended up with, the point that Ponder recorded a pathetic 6.1 ypa pretty much stands on its own.

I would guess that other great RB back performances shared a number of equally sub-par passing performances. Their W-L record is probably better to look at to determine if this combo is destined for failure. In Buffalo's case they had similar results with a 9-5 record that year.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678