Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    Pos Rank Rating Name Yr College Drafted (round and overall)
    QB 1 Cam Newton JR Auburn Round 1 #1
    QB 2 Blaine Gabbert JR Missouri Round 1 #10
    QB 3 Jake Locker SR Washington Round 1 #8
    QB 4 Ryan Mallett JR Arkansas Round 3 #74
    QB 5 Christian Ponder SR Florida State Round 1 #12
    QB 6 Andy Dalton SR TCU Round 2 #35
    QB 7 Colin Kaepernick SR Nevada Round 2 #36
    QB 8 Ricky Stanzi SR Iowa Round 5 #135
    QB 9 Tyrod Taylor SR Virginia Tech Round 6 #180
    QB 10 Greg McElroy SR Alabama Round 7 #208

Ponder was the only quarterback without a five star rating drafted in the first round. If the Vikings had passed on Ponder in round one, they likely would have been able to draft him in the second round. If not, either Dalton or Kaepernick would have been available. Every other quarterback was drafted later than that, so they would have been available too.

The Vikings reached to draft Ponder in the first round. They did pick up Kyle Rudolph in the second round though, so it did end up well enough.

I thought the Vikings were looking at Locker, Dalton, and Mallett prior to the draft, but all pre-draft reports are just speculation. Mallett was selected by the Patriots in the third round with the extra pick they earned from the Randy Moss trade to the Vikings.
    It is not the way it should be but anyone that was following the draft at the time knows damn well if the team had passed on taking a QB with their number on pick there would have been a revolt by the rubes for not addressing the single most important position on the team. And if you think that Spielman could have walked up to the podium and said to the media that they made the right choice when they took a small QB from Wisconsin late in the draft and that he was going to be the week one starter it would have made thousands of heads explode because they waited so long and it would be just like taking Jackson all over again.

Like I said, the fans shouldn't dictate what happens but that is the way it goes some times.

Flair Hay is offline Rookie
    If our team was a high flying run and gun team similar in makeup to '98, then maybe. It does remind me a bit of the Brad Johnson being sat for Randall Cunningham.

If Cordarrele ever turns into a bonafide deep threat one on one, perhaps. But MBT is sure as shit less accurate than Ponder. Which should tell us something about MBT. Lets face it though, if Ponder bombs this year we'll be headed back to the draft for a QB again. On which case MBT would be irrelevant again in all likelihood.

It's Ponder or bust this year guys. We aren't winning more than 6-7 games with anyone else at QB on our roster.

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    I can't wait to watch the five yard pass on 3rd and 15. Go Ponder!

It made me happy to see us keep MBT. Personally I don't care who is tossing the rock as long as they throw for a first down on 3rd down.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PackSux! View Post
    I can't wait to watch the five yard pass on 3rd and 15. Go Ponder!

It made me happy to see us keep MBT. Personally I don't care who is tossing the rock as long as they throw for a first down on 3rd down.
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...-quarterbacks/

Ponder was 13th in the league last year on converting 3rd down plays through the air at ~39%.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    I may be the only guy left who believes this will be the year Christian steps up and shows he is a quality NFL QB. That said, if it doesn't happen, what about trading for Cousins? I can't see Washington hanging onto two starting caliber QB's for another year. They will get a nice pick for him. Just thinking out loud.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...-quarterbacks/

Ponder was 13th in the league last year on converting 3rd down plays through the air at ~39%.
    How many of them 69 first downs were 5 yards and under? Perhaps if he could throw the ball farther some of them 108 failures would of been first downs.

McLeod Bethel Thompson = Ponder

Yac
    None

Quote Originally Posted by Flair Hay View Post
    If our team was a high flying run and gun team similar in makeup to '98, then maybe. It does remind me a bit of the Brad Johnson being sat for Randall Cunningham.

If Cordarrele ever turns into a bonafide deep threat one on one, perhaps. But MBT is sure as shit less accurate than Ponder. Which should tell us something about MBT. Lets face it though, if Ponder bombs this year we'll be headed back to the draft for a QB again. On which case MBT would be irrelevant again in all likelihood.

It's Ponder or bust this year guys. We aren't winning more than 6-7 games with anyone else at QB on our roster.
    Less accurate than Ponder? Huh? What footage have you been watching? Ponder is abysmal beyond 10 yards. Hell, he sucks passed 5 yards. Of all the quarterback play through preseason McLeod was the only one who could hit guys on the numbers with any regularity.

If it wasn't for Percy Harvin and the bubble screens last year, Ponders numbers would have been obscenely worse which were wretched to begin with.

Our quarterback has the same number of yards as our running back. Do you realize the grotesque nature of that statistic? It's never been worse in the history of the league. That speaks for itself.

Am I saying McLeod is a better overall quarterback than Ponder right now? Not necessarily, but he can't be any worse.
    Last edited by battleaxe4cheese; 09-04-2013 at 05:44 PM.
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

Quote Originally Posted by battleaxe4cheese View Post
    Less accurate than Ponder? Huh? What footage have you been watching? Ponder is abysmal beyond 10 yards. Hell, he sucks passed 5 yards. Of all the quarterback play through preseason McLeod was the only one who could hit guys on the numbers with any regularity.

If it wasn't for Percy Harvin and the bubble screens last year, Ponders numbers would have been obscenely worse which were wretched to begin with.

Our quarterback has the same number of yards as our running back. Do you realize the grotesque nature of that statistic? It's never been worse in the history of the league. That speaks for itself.

Am I saying McLeod is a better overall quarterback than Ponder right now? Not necessarily, but he can't be any worse.
    1973 Buffalo Bills

OJ Simpson averaged over 6.03 ypc
    Jeff Ferguson their QB averaged 5.7 ypa

Quote Originally Posted by PackSux! View Post
    How many of them 69 first downs were 5 yards and under? Perhaps if he could throw the ball farther some of them 108 failures would of been first downs.
    I think the objective is to pick up the first down regardless of the distance, but here is a site that takes distance into account and creates a modified rating for each qb. Ponder is 15th on this list (1.1% above average). His average "to go" distance was 7.52 yards. Cassell is 14th on this list.

Which Passers Were Most Effective on Third Down in 2012?

The one area that Ponder had decent results was in 3rd down conversions and red zone efficiency. This is what Frazier has stated that he is looking for in his QB. He wants to run the offense through AD and when they need the QB to make a play, they expect him to make it.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast