Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 76
  1. #41
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,849
    People... is this how far we have fallen. We are arguing over what piece of shit looks the most appetizing. I want us to draft a QB with a resume. Ponder did not have one. His claim to fame was that his Junior year he completed 68% of his throws and has 2 Masters degrees. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. Our next QB needs to be a winner. I rather we spend 4 years trying to build up a guy that the scouts love... the public love... and we are crazy about than... to continue to take these shot in the dark chances at finding a QB.

    Sometimes you have to stop outsmarting yourself and take the obvious choices.

  2. #42
    vikinggreg's Avatar
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    4,734
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    People... is this how far we have fallen. We are arguing over what piece of shit looks the most appetizing..
    Its kinda been like this since Culpepper got hurt....aside from 1 good season in '09....so it status quo more or less

    I also prefer the term turd polishing myself, makes it appear that the work put into polishing that turd has a positive outcome to go with the effort taken

  3. #43
    iowa is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Spirit Lake, Iowa
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    People... is this how far we have fallen. We are arguing over what piece of shit looks the most appetizing. I want us to draft a QB with a resume. Ponder did not have one. His claim to fame was that his Junior year he completed 68% of his throws and has 2 Masters degrees. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. Our next QB needs to be a winner. I rather we spend 4 years trying to build up a guy that the scouts love... the public love... and we are crazy about than... to continue to take these shot in the dark chances at finding a QB.

    Sometimes you have to stop outsmarting yourself and take the obvious choices.
    Check out the guys that got cut today, lot's of so called "winners". Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Brady Quinn, Tim Tebow,Jimmy Clausen. Just because you looked good in college doesn't mean you'll be good in the pro's. Sometimes you can find a diamond in the rough, coach 'em up and give them an opportunity. Just because Mel Kiper and Todd McShay like them doesn't mean shit.
    None

  4. #44
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,849
    Quote Originally Posted by iowa View Post
    Check out the guys that got cut today, lot's of so called "winners". Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Brady Quinn, Tim Tebow,Jimmy Clausen. Just because you looked good in college doesn't mean you'll be good in the pro's. Sometimes you can find a diamond in the rough, coach 'em up and give them an opportunity. Just because Mel Kiper and Todd McShay like them doesn't mean shit.
    Worst argument ever. The chances that we find a diamond in the rough is a lot lower than the chances a good college player beccomes a good NFl player. It is like if 1 out of ever 100 All Americans make the pros and are able to have a great nfl career... what do you think that number is for guys that struggled in college. 1 out 10,000 We have tried the Diamonds in the rough move. Ponder....Tjack... Brooks... etc. Also as much as people like to say Mel and McShay don't know anything... they are right more times than they are wrong.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Isanti, MN
    Posts
    978
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    People... is this how far we have fallen. We are arguing over what piece of shit looks the most appetizing. I want us to draft a QB with a resume. Ponder did not have one. His claim to fame was that his Junior year he completed 68% of his throws and has 2 Masters degrees. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. Our next QB needs to be a winner. I rather we spend 4 years trying to build up a guy that the scouts love... the public love... and we are crazy about than... to continue to take these shot in the dark chances at finding a QB.

    Sometimes you have to stop outsmarting yourself and take the obvious choices.
    How far we have fallen? Em. ..what choice do we the fans have? We are debating who would be best suited to lead this team out of the choices that the organization gives us. Of course we would like to have Andrew Luck but that's not reality so we are stuck debating who is on our team.

    We all want a winner but we are trying to make the most out of what we have and that isn't a whole lot at this point.
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

  6. #46
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,849
    Quote Originally Posted by battleaxe4cheese View Post
    How far we have fallen? Em. ..what choice do we the fans have? We are debating who would be best suited to lead this team out of the choices that the organization gives us. Of course we would like to have Andrew Luck but that's not reality so we are stuck debating who is on our team.

    We all want a winner but we are trying to make the most out of what we have and that isn't a whole lot at this point.
    It wasn't a knock on our fans but a knock on our team's inability to find a decent QB. Didn't mean to offend.

  7. #47
    smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    858
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    It wasn't a knock on our fans but a knock on our team's inability to find a decent QB. Didn't mean to offend.
    They selected Ponder because he appeared to be intelligent, from a major program, and NFL ready. Frazier believes a quarterback can be taught accuracy. So they took a chance on a quarterback who was less accurate in college than he needs to be in the NFL.
    I believe accuracy is innate. You can improve timing routes and chemistry with the wide receivers through coaching and practice, but the quarterback has to deliver the ball to the right place. Ponder can't do it and it's starting look like Cassel isn't any better.
    MBT has some accuracy but I can only imagine how bad he would play against first team defenses who actually game planned to exploit his weaknesses. I doubt we will ever find out, but it is always intriguing to think about the possibilities when the third string QB has the strongest and possibly, most accurate arm of the three.
    So MBT will have more supporters as the season goes on, unless Ponder or Cassel light it up.

  8. #48
    Minniman's Avatar
    Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,369
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    I believe accuracy is innate. You can improve timing routes and chemistry with the wide receivers through coaching and practice, but the quarterback has to deliver the ball to the right place. Ponder can't do it and it's starting look like Cassel isn't any better.
    Perhaps these two quarterbacks have similar problems, and the quarterback scouting staff scouted them both for higher scores than they should have received before signing them via draft and free agency.

  9. #49
    smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    858
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    Perhaps these two quarterbacks have similar problems, and the quarterback scouting staff scouted them both for higher scores than they should have received before signing them via draft and free agency.
    Frazier said a quarterback could be taught accuracy. I believe that is false. Even if it were true, why not draft a quarterback who was accurate in college ?
    TJ,Webb, and McNabb were all inaccurate and the Vikings weren't able to teach accuracy to any of them. Why do they think Ponder will improve ?

    Vikings hope receivers are a catch-all group | Star Tribune

    “When we were searching for a quarterback, we were trying to answer that question of whether a guy can improve his accuracy,” Frazier said. “We think that there are some things that you can do to help a guy improve his accuracy, but if there is one characteristic that can be a flaw when you are trying to develop a quarterback, it is the lack of accuracy.”
    Last edited by smegmavike; 09-01-2013 at 04:54 PM.

  10. #50
    Minniman's Avatar
    Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,369
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    Perhaps these two quarterbacks have similar problems, and the quarterback scouting staff scouted them both for higher scores than they should have received before signing them via draft and free agency.
    Frazier said a quarterback could be taught accuracy. I believe that is false. Even if it were true, why not draft a quarterback who was accurate in college ?
    I agree.

    My point was that, perhaps, the Vikings have a poor scouting staff for quarterbacks if they keep bringing in the same type of guys only to watch them miss the target.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •