Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

Re: McKinnie & Smoot's trial dates set.

since when is using a dildo on a stripper a sex offense? as far as mckinney, lollypopping a stripper again is not an offense. i think the strippers would have to be offended for it to be an offense. this would have been nothing if the media had not gotten wind of it.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Smoot, McKinnie Plead Guilty

[size=18px]Smoot, McKinnie plead guilty in Vikings boat party scandal[/size]
    BY STEVE KARNOWSKI
    Associated Press

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/14677772.htm
    Red complaint here: Warning, graphic language:
    http://www.twincities.com/multimedia/twincities/archive/vikings_complaints/smoot.pdf

MINNEAPOLIS - Minnesota Vikings cornerback Fred Smoot and left tackle Bryant McKinnie pleaded guilty today to misdemeanor charges in the team's boat party scandal. Each agreed to pay a $1,000 fine and perform 48 hours of community service.

Smoot and McKinnie pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct and to being a public nuisance on a watercraft. The second charge will be removed from their records if they stay out of trouble for a year.

They each got the same deal, prosecutor Steve Tallen said.

"Hopefully next year's party will be at the children's hospital," Tallen said with a laugh.

Through their attorneys, Smoot and McKinnie issued statements apologizing for their actions on Lake Minnetonka last Oct. 5 during a bye-week cruise that authorities have described as a floating orgy.

Vikings owner Zygi Wilf said the incident had "caused embarrassment to the entire Minnesota Vikings' organization" and that it was "not consistent with the values and high standards that we expect and demand of everyone associated with our organization."

In a statement, Wilf said that not only would Smoot and McKinnie perform the community service required by their pleas this summer, they would participate in "numerous" other community service programs throughout the upcoming season.

The case will now be reviewed by the NFL for potential fines against both players under the league's Personal Conduct Policy, Wilf said.

"Fines are likely," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said. He declined to say how big those fines might be or how long the process will take, but he said the players won't be suspended.

Because Smoot and McKinnie are being disciplined by the league, the Vikings are precluded by the NFL's collective bargaining agreement from imposing their own discipline.

Smoot specifically apologized to the Wilf family, the team's coaches and fans, the people of Minnesota, and the employees of Al and Alma's Restaurant and Cruises.

"I used poor judgment and take responsibility for my actions," Smoot said. "I have learned a valuable lesson. I regret tarnishing the reputation of the Minnesota Vikings and the National Football League."

McKinnie issued a similar statement.

"I am also sorry for my role in this incident and I take full responsibility for my actions," McKinnie said. "I want to be an example of everything that is good about the Vikings and the State of Minnesota."

Smoot was charged with using sex toys in front of boat crew members, while McKinnie had been accused of performing oral sex in front of the workers. Smoot had been scheduled to go on trial Tuesday in Hennepin County District Court while McKinnie was set for trial July 7.

But they filed petitions with the court Friday in which they waived their rights to a trials and pleaded guilty. They did not appear in court. They each agreed to pay a $1,000 fine plus $1,075 in court costs and surcharges, and perform their community service within 90 days.

"We are pleased to have this case finally resolved," Smoot's layer, David Valentini, said in a statement. "Mr. Smoot can now put this matter behind him and concentrate on the upcoming football season."

McKinnie's attorney, Joseph Tamburino, said in a statement they were grateful they could come to an agreement so everyone involved can move forward, and that McKinnie "looks forward to a successful season with the Vikings."

Smoot and McKinnie were among four players charged in the case. Former Viking Moe Williams, who has retired, was convicted of disorderly conduct last month, while similar charges were dismissed against former Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper, who is now with the Miami Dolphins, after a judge ruled there wasn't enough evidence.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Smoot, McKinnie Plead Guilty

The Vikings can't fine them because of the CBA, but are they allowed to suspend them?

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

the Vikings are precluded by the NFL's collective bargaining agreement from imposing their own discipline.
    Suspending them for this infraction would be considered "discipline" in my estimation. They cannot do that according to the article. I think their apology to Wilf will end the matter now.
    Maybe Cajun can answer it, he's a lawyer for lawyers.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

MaddenVodkaAddict is offline Coordinator

It is an unfortunate event in that both Minnesota Vikings players must pay a grand total of one thousand dollars and zero cents as both Mr. Smoot and Mr. McKinnie do not have a good amount of money.
    I Love Kerry Collins (and John Rocker).

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

I don't think Wilf should suspend either of them. If he wants a chance to win, he will let them play.. I think they got more then enough for their crimes. Let them move on and play some football free of their pasts.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"westvirginiavikings" wrote:
    The Vikings can't fine them because of the CBA, but are they allowed to suspend them?
    No they can not.

Because Smoot and McKinnie are being disciplined by the league, the Vikings are precluded by the NFL's collective bargaining agreement from imposing their own discipline.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet Guest

KFFL
    Vikings | McKinnie may be fined; won’t be suspended
    Fri, 26 May 2006 21:15:34 -0700

The Associated Press reports Minnesota Vikings OT Bryant McKinnie faces a fine from the NFL after pleading guilty to misdemeanor charges stemming from the team's raucous boat party in October. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said a fine is likely, declining to say for how much or how long the process will take. He said McKinnie won't be suspended.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Zigi has made this official statment, that is on the Vikings.com website:

"We experienced an incident last October that caused embarrassment to the entire Minnesota Vikings' organization. This incident was not consistent with the values and high standards that we expect and demand of everyone associated with our organization. As part of today's misdemeanor rulings, Bryant McKinnie and Fred Smoot will perform community service throughout the Twin Cities area this summer. In addition, they will participate in numerous community service programs throughout the 2006 season. With today's resolution of the case, the matter will now be reviewed by the National Football League for potential fines of both players under the NFL's Personal Conduct Policy. This policy is in place to address off-field conduct matters with league-wide consistency on behalf of the NFL clubs. Both the Minnesota Vikings and the NFL will continue to hold our players, coaches and staff to a high standard both on and off the field. Our organization has taken numerous steps to strengthen our franchise and will continue to do so as we look forward to the 2006 season and beyond."

Vikings statement

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    I agree. Everything about that stupid boat party belongs back with last season's trash. Let's get it over with and move on to the next season.

To be honest, if either one of them walked into court and simply pled nolo contendo, citing a desire to put this behind everyone, they would gain a decent amount of respect in my eyes.
    The weird part is that I posted this over a week before the guilty pleas. True to my word, both players have gained respect in my eyes.

I takes a lot to admit when you are wrong. Now that this is behind us, we can focus 100% on playing in Dolphin Stadium on Feb 4th, 2007...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12