Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mckinnie down

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Mckinnie down

It is very common in the 3rd preseason game to play your starters into the 3rd quarter. In the 4th preseason game you play them for 2 series and then you rest them.
    It's been done that way for years, not saying it's right or wrong but to blame Tice is not right and I am pissed off as anybody about the injuries.

I just watched the replay on ESPN and the guy that hurt Bennett went low with his helmet, which is really cheap (looked like he went for the knee on purpose)! And McKinney was hit in the back of his leg by a 49er that tried to hit Bennett when he was running by and missed and hit McKinney.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Mckinnie down

Oh please, this isn't a Tice issue. Injuries happen on all series in every game of preseason. If you want to argue it, argue the value of a long preseason.

He did nothing different than is standard for the league in preseason game 3.

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Mckinnie down

I agree Webby, Tice did nothing wrong. He committed before the game to one series of the third quarter with the starters. This is normal for the third game.

I watched McKinnie on the sidelines after his injury. He sat for the rest of the third quarter, but by the 4th quarter he was walking around without a noticeable limp.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

Kleinsasser40 is offline Coordinator

Mckinnie down

i'd have to second that. Tice did nothing wrong. These guys need to get eased back into a four quarter game, thats what a lot of coaches do in the 3rd and 4th preseason game, keep the people you think will be starting in longer and longer. I was in my car listening on the radio when I heard it, it scared the living sh*t out of me, they way they were listing off injuries i though the whole team had just all tripped at once and broken all of their legs. I almost came to a dead stop on the highway when they said it, lol.
    [img:2264cdc124]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/ultravikingfan/vikesklein.jpg[/img:2264cdc124]

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Mckinnie down

"whackthepack" wrote:
    It is very common in the 3rd preseason game to play your starters into the 3rd quarter. In the 4th preseason game you play them for 2 series and then you rest them.
    It's been done that way for years, not saying it's right or wrong but to blame Tice is not right and I am pissed off as anybody about the injuries.

I just watched the replay on ESPN and the guy that hurt Bennett went low with his helmet, which is really cheap (looked like he went for the knee on purpose)! And McKinney was hit in the back of his leg by a 49er that tried to hit Bennett when he was running by and missed and hit McKinney.

Sure I know that starters usually play into the 3rd quarter of the 3rd preseason game, but not when they are dominant in the first half, only when there is a reason to play them in the 2nd half, like adjustments. We had 350 yards of offense in the 1st half! I think that would qualify as a dominat first half by our offense, so what is the need for them to play in the 3rd? Because it is common for teams to play their starters into the 3rd quarter of the 3rd preseason game? NO. Fact is, there was absolutely no need for the starters to be out there in the 3rd. Did tice play our D starters in the 3rd? No.

Hey I have no problem with starters playing into the 3rd quarter in the 3rd preseason game, but that is only when it is neccessary for adjustments. If we wouldn't have had so many yards and have moved the ball at will in the 1st half, then I would say absolutely put the starters out there after the half and wouldn't be mad that bennett and mckinnie got hurt, but this wasn't the case. This is my point.

Mckinnie down

"webmaster" wrote:
    Oh please, this isn't a Tice issue. Injuries happen on all series in every game of preseason. If you want to argue it, argue the value of a long preseason.

He did nothing different than is standard for the league in preseason game 3.

49ers, rams, redskins are 3 teams in the only 2 games I watched tonight, that didn't play their starters in the 2nd half. And their offenses weren't dominating the game like ours did in the first half of this game. Again that is my point. Why play them when they had so many yards and moved the ball at will in the first half? It wasn't neccessary. They didn't have to make any halftime adjustments when they had 350 yards of offensein the first half.

Mckinnie down

Packers, jags, chargers, texans to name 4 more teams that didn't have their starters in during the 2nd half, and I bet none of them had anywhere near the dominating half that our starters did.

I remember tice saying the starters might play into the 3rd quarter tonight, but he also said it wasn't etched in stone. I would have thought the preformance in the first half would have been good enough forour starters!

olympiavikefan is offline Waterboy

Mckinnie down

You guys are being awful hard on Tice. I don't know how long the starters played into the third quarter, but in game 3 of the preseason it seems to be common practice to get the starters one more series after the half.

I hope to see both McKinnie and Bennett this Thursday in Seattle. Could be an NFC Championship preview. :thumbleft:

Mckinnie down

"olympiavikefan" wrote:
    You guys are being awful hard on Tice. I don't know how long the starters played into the third quarter, but in game 3 of the preseason it seems to be common practice to get the starters one more series after the half.

I hope to see both McKinnie and Bennett this Thursday in Seattle. Could be an NFC Championship preview. :thumbleft:

Then you must not have seen how dominating we were in the first half ofthe game. It was like 350 yards to 80. I don't care how common people say it is, we accomplished enough in the first half.

I have yet to see a team that played tonight, that had their starters in, in the 2nd half. It doesn't look that common tonight.

olympiavikefan is offline Waterboy

Mckinnie down

I wish I could have seen the first half, but I'm in Seattle. I even tried to get the Vikings with KFAN on the internet (all I received was advertisements). Of course, I did watch the Hawks vs. Chargers and Holmgrem had the first offense in for the first series of the 2nd half.

Injuries are a big part of the game and Champions are usually teams that get some big breaks and stay healthy. Of course, what does a fan of Minnesota and Seattle know about championships??? I should be writing about heartache.

Anyway, I'm just going to relax and enjoy a great season. I will see Minnesota this Thursday in Seattle, and I'm expecting to see them again in January.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast