Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Max Yates

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

Max Yates

I didn't know much about this guy before all the recent trouble with our starting LBs...but apparently he has been doing real well in practice lately. This is what Sporting News had to say about him:

"MLB Max Yates has the coaches excited. He has spent parts of the past two seasons on the practice squad. He has a chance to be E.J. Henderson's top backup. Yates has a mean streak and good instincts. He is a hard hitter who uses his body with reckless abandon. He also will vie for a key role on special teams."

I've read other good reports on him from other sources too. Since EJ is no longer guaranteed a starting position, it's important we have a solid backup. Don't get me wrong, I am real excited about seeing EJ in the Mike role this season and I don't want to see anything hold him back...but that is one of the most important positions to have depth and it's good news that Yates is working hard and shows promise.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

bigdogbovy is offline Asst. Coach

Max Yates

encouraging given the fact that henderson and natiel have legal problems as well as a sprained ankle for nattiel
    de43540278a8c8500baf55c07109eb7e

Viking_Spirit is offline Star Spokesman

Max Yates

This is pretty good, because we really need a solid backup because of EJ's troubles.........

Guns don t kill people. Chuck Norris kills people.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Re: Max Yates

"sdvikefan" wrote:
    I didn't know much about this guy before all the recent trouble with our starting LBs...but apparently he has been doing real well in practice lately. This is what Sporting News had to say about him:

"MLB Max Yates has the coaches excited. He has spent parts of the past two seasons on the practice squad. He has a chance to be E.J. Henderson's top backup. Yates has a mean streak and good instincts. He is a hard hitter who uses his body with reckless abandon. He also will vie for a key role on special teams."

I've read other good reports on him from other sources too. Since EJ is no longer guaranteed a starting position, it's important we have a solid backup. Don't get me wrong, I am real excited about seeing EJ in the Mike role this season and I don't want to see anything hold him back...but that is one of the most important positions to have depth and it's good news that Yates is working hard and shows promise.

This sounds good about yates, but i think that Rod Davis(our 5th round pick this year) will be EJ's backup by the time the season starts. He is a tackling machine and should have been a 2nd or 3rd round pick, if he didn't run a slow 40. He is much faster than the 4.8 40 he ran, and I think he could do a very good job if he has to come in and replace EJ. Remember, EJ also ran a 4.84 40 time, but we all know he plays much faster than that. The only thing is, davis is a rookie and you can never know if he could play well right away, or take a year or so to learn. He is football smart, and is very quick to read plays and react. I am happy with him as EJ's backup, even though he is another young guy. Also, I think keith newman could play some MLB as well, so we do have some experience behind EJ as well. Also, if we are drastic, dontarrious thomas has played MLB and could also play it. I am not too worried about our MLB situation, I am most worried about claiborne and if he can get healthy. I don't really like anyone else at SAM, that we have on our roster right now.

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

Max Yates

Yeah I think as of now Rod Davis is the backup to EJ...I've never seen Davis play so it's good to hear that he is also capable of taking over.

I'm also worried about Claiborne...the guy made such a big impact last year before being hurt...especially in the Atlanta and Denver games. I'd like to see him stay healthy this time.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

VaViking1 is offline Training Camp

Max Yates

I'd like to see Max Yates make it. His parents come to the Sports Bar that I go to. I met them last season when he was trying out for the team. He made to the final cut and then was off and on the practice squad the rest of the season. I know his folks will be at the Sports Bar again this season trying to get a glimpse of him. Hopefully they'll get more than a glimpse of him this season in the Purple and Yellow. He's #50 unless they've changed his number.

Tommy - VIKINGS Fan for Life!!

Max Yates

>>>>I don't really like anyone else at SAM, that we have on our roster right now.<<<<

What is SAM? Thanks

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Max Yates

"VaViking1" wrote:
    >>>>I don't really like anyone else at SAM, that we have on our roster right now.<<<<

What is SAM? Thanks
    Sam, Will and Mike are the nicknames applied to the strong side, weak side, and middle linebacker positions, respectively.

Max Yates

Josdin,

Thanks for the info, I don't think I've ever heard that before.

Tommy - VIKINGS Fan for Life!!

Max Yates

I dont care who is there as long as they get the job done efficently

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast