Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    In about 2008 the Vikings did everything short of renting billboards to tell the fans TJ was the starter, Holcolm was the backup and that Jackson knew the offense and was ready to be an NFL caliber starter. That lasted 2 games.
    That would have been difficult for Holcomb to do since the Vikings released him in Feb of 2008 & he retired.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Matt Cassel Outplaying Ponder in OTAs/MInicamp

Did you perhaps miss the word about?

But it's worse than that. I was actually thinking of Frerotte or however you spell his name.

But in both cases and both years TJ was proclaimed ready and named the starter. FWIW.
    Last edited by Purple Floyd; 06-14-2013 at 06:48 AM.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Did you perhaps miss the word about?

But it's worse than that. I was actually thinking of Frerotte or however you spell his name.

But in both cases and both years TJ was proclaimed ready and named the starter. FWIW.
    No, I saw the word "about". I also saw the words "That lasted 2 games", thus making it 2008. In 2007 he played 12 games.

What's worse is Bollinger was actually the backup. Holcomb was 3rd string.

In both cases, Childress didn't proclaim who would be the starter & stated there was a competion.

Childress said he would like Jackson and Frerotte to compete for the starting quarterback spot in training camp.
    Childress would like Jackson, Frerotte to compete for Vikings' QB spot - TwinCities.com

Childress: Jackson or Bollinger will start in 2007
    TwinCities.com
    Last edited by singersp; 06-14-2013 at 07:06 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    Through the first 5 games last year he had 14 turnovers, more than any other QB. He was then benched for Brady Quinn.
    He finished last year with 19 turnovers in 9 games.
    Ponder had 17 turnovers in 16 games.

Yup, last year was bad,

But go back on his career as a starter:

2010: 3100 yards, 27 td, 7 int,
    2009: 2900 yards, 16td, 16 int
    2008: 3700 yards, 21td, 11 int.

not by any means a stellar record, but it shows he's getting the job done, they don't ask much from him, and he does what they want. When he's got a bit of stability, he can be alright. Not great, but alright.

Ranger is offline Coach
    We have far more offensive talent than he had in KC so it isn't unrealistic to expect him to play better here. He played pretty well in NE when he filled in for Brady.
    I don't know that this is necessarily true, to be honest. Charles is a dynamic, dangerous running back, and I don't think you'll find anybody that disagrees with that. Is he Peterson? Nah, of course not. Nobody is, but he is still a top flight, grade A running back.

Bowe is a legitimate receiver, and Moeaki (when healthy) is a pretty dangerous tight end. They have a few complimentary pieces at wide receiver, as well as a versatile Harvin-light player in Dex as well. The talent difference on the offenses isn't drastic, in my opinion.

purpledoom is offline Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I don't know that this is necessarily true, to be honest. Charles is a dynamic, dangerous running back, and I don't think you'll find anybody that disagrees with that. Is he Peterson? Nah, of course not. Nobody is, but he is still a top flight, grade A running back.

Bowe is a legitimate receiver, and Moeaki (when healthy) is a pretty dangerous tight end. They have a few complimentary pieces at wide receiver, as well as a versatile Harvin-light player in Dex as well. The talent difference on the offenses isn't drastic, in my opinion.
    Couldn't agree more.

purpledoom is offline Starter
    Then again I was personally hoping we would have gotten Stanzi if we were taking a QB from KC
    Sooo are you an Iowaboy too? I am and uhh I found Stanzi to be ok..pretty good at times and pretty bad at times too.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by purpledoom View Post
    Couldn't agree more.

one very important piece of the offense that wasn't mentioned is the OLine.....
    KC"s just stinks, ours, is going to be better and a very good one this season... This effects any QB"s play...

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Matt Cassel Outplaying Ponder in OTAs/MInicamp

That is what I was thinking when I read that reply. I didn't see him say their RT was as good last year as ours or that their Center or other OL were as good as or better.

As far as the rest of the reply- AP is better than Charles. Rudolph is better than their TE, I would take Jennings over Bowe although I do like Bowe and we have a better FBI as well.

Plus I think our coaches are better than the coaches were in KC last year.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123