Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mark_The_Viking is offline Asst. Coach
    It would have been nice to hang on to Cassel of only to provide some consistency fro the next season. Ponder can't start any more. He was tried, weighed and found wanting. Would hate to draft a QB, throw him straight in and watch him crash and burn.
    Free agency availability has just become a major consideration I guess.
    Purple till i die

Mark_The_Viking is offline Asst. Coach
    It would have been nice to hang on to Cassel of only to provide some consistency fro the next season. Ponder can't start any more. He was tried, weighed and found wanting. Would hate to draft a QB, throw him straight in and watch him crash and burn.

Free agency availability has just become a major consideration I guess.
    Purple till i die

313zoe is offline Starter
    Blog Entries

Matt Cassel Expected To Void Contract

Just give Cassel a new contract and more money and draft a QB

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by 313zoe View Post
    I think that is the most likely outcome.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by 313zoe View Post
    Yup. Probably. Only $500,000 guaranteed means we could up and cut him after training camp if we felt the young guys could handle it, or had already beat him out. We can likely sign him to a two year deal with a bit more guarantee and a pay boost built in dependent on how many games he actually starts.

And with the lack of QBs available, he will most likely get more money somewhere, even as a backup...Note that of all the FA QBs available only 2 finished with a positive rating!? Yes Tarvaris Jackson would be an upgrade at this point, but do we really want to ride that wagon again!???

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...-quarterbacks/

As for trading for one of those other backups, I don't see any of them worth much. I'd list them in this order: Hoyer, Mallet, Cousins and wouldn't want to give up a third this year for any of them...maybe a 4 and a sliding pick next year dependent on how they perform...?

If we can't sign McCown (who is 35) we probably better resign Cassel and draft a couple young guys.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Personally, I like Freeman for a year and a top QB from the draft.

I would like for us to go BIG just one time that does NOT include trading away all of our future on one guy. Freeman is the QB on the FA list that is the most dynamic, and while he could ultimately be a bust (just like EVERYONE on that list), his upside is tremendous.

I would like to see us sign him, then get either a game-changer in this draft, ~OR~ go big on defense and look to next year's draft for our franchise QB.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    I think Cassel will be back, and we will draft a QB to sit behind him for a year. Worse case scenario, and I pray like hell it doesn't happen, Ponder will start next year and the rookie will sit behind him for the year. If Cassel doesn't come back, then try and get either Schaub when he is released, or Vick when free agency starts to be a stop gap for the rookie we draft. Either one of those aren't solid options, but much better than Ponder for another year. If Ponder is starting next season, I won't watch a single game.

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by VikesfaninWis View Post
    I think Cassel will be back, and we will draft a QB to sit behind him for a year. Worse case scenario, and I pray like hell it doesn't happen, Ponder will start next year and the rookie will sit behind him for the year. If Cassel doesn't come back, then try and get either Schaub when he is released, or Vick when free agency starts to be a stop gap for the rookie we draft. Either one of those aren't solid options, but much better than Ponder for another year. If Ponder is starting next season, I won't watch a single game.
    Ponder will NOT be back, i can almost guarantee it.

Spielman didn't trust him, and tried to give the team option "C" with Freeman...only to find his head coach still believed in Ponder. Frazier is gone for that decision (IMO), and Spielman's first move was/will be to make sure Ponder goes elsewhere. Nothing else makes sense.

If Spielman had ANY intention of giving Ponder another chance, we would have not had to deal with Freeman and THAT drama last year. Why get a third QB if you have even a small hope Ponder will come around? The pick up of Freeman could only hurt Ponder's confidence.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234