Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Matt Birk Speaks

But I don't think it was a shock to anybody. Most of us can read the newspaper. It wasn't a real shock when he did get fired.
    There's my two favorite quotes. So I guess some can't read, must be the Oklahoma boys? No it wasn't a shock when Tice got fired.

Glad to have you back Birk. ccasion5:

BigMoInAZ is offline Pro-Bowler

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    "vikingstw" wrote:
    "MrGopher16" wrote:
    I like the helmets as they are right now! I'd be kinda disappointed if they tried to mess with it i think.
    Same here.

What if they did a little reverse? What if they put the Horn emblem on the jersey sleeve, and put the Viking face on the helmets?

JMO, but that would be a good small change. Not to mention that Zygi could then put his little touch on his Minnesota Vikings..
    You mean something like this?

Lo there, do I see the line of my People...Back to the Beginning.
    Lo do They call to me...They bid me take my Place among Them...in the Halls of VALHALLA where t

BigMoInAZ is offline Pro-Bowler

Here's the link to some other custom shots of Viking uniform changes;

RLCustoms.com

Lo there, do I see the line of my People...Back to the Beginning.
    Lo do They call to me...They bid me take my Place among Them...in the Halls of VALHALLA where t

BigEasyViking is offline Coordinator

Ya Know I think that i kinda like those changes. But then again if we stayed with the same original helmets I wouldn't mind either. i would just like to see a little change.
    God Bless America, & the MINNESOTA VIKINGS!!!

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

How did this thread go from Birk to uniforms?.....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"VikingNed" wrote:
    How did this thread go from Birk to uniforms?.....
    PFT: Now tell me this, when you were a kid, did you know what the hell that thing was on the Vikings helmet?

Birk: No. No. Even looking at it now, it's a pretty poor depiction. It's supposed to kind of have that 3D look to it, like the horn actually is sticking out of the side of the helmet. I think it's time to update that, or at least get somebody to get a crack at it.

PFT: I think they should actually put horns on the side of the helmet. That's got aesthetic benefit and strategic benefit.

Birk: Yeah, that could be like a bull. You could hook the guy's jersey with the tip of your horns.

I said it way early in the beginning of the season last year. I think the horns should be 3-dimensional.

The helmet could be simply bulged, humped or embossed outward in the area of the horn decal making it a true 3-d horn.

I'd guarantee it would set a trend.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"BigMoInAZ" wrote:
    Here's the link to some other custom shots of Viking uniform changes;

RLCustoms.com
    This one looks like the chargers uni.

The purple one, looks nice.

I do like the tradition. I think it should only be a minor tweek to the horn.

UTVikfan is offline Coordinator

Snowinapril, ummm, Tice played the game. For many years. He has coached for many years. Your telling HIM how to react to an injury? Hahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahah.

You have played how many years of pro ball? How many years have you coached? Oh, I bet thats right. I think Tice needed to call you up and ask how to deal with injuries. He would be right on then.

Prophet Guest

Part 1 & 2 link @ pft.com

[Part Two starts here.]

PFT: It's been a year since Randy Moss was traded. Good move, bad move, or still too early to tell?

Birk: I think it was a good move for everybody. I think it was a good move for Randy, I think it was a good move for us. I think that for seven years we tried to make it work and it was one of those relationships that had a lot of ups and downs. In the end, I just don't know if Randy kind of felt like he had given everything he could to the organization and the organization felt that it had gone as far as it could with Randy Moss being "the guy" here. It was time to go in different directions. Poor Troy Williamson. He's always gonna be known as the guy that basically we drafted to replace Randy Moss. I think that no matter what kind of career Troy ends up having -- and I think it's going to be very good -- I think that it was a good move just because Randy was the man here, the identity of the team, and the leader. He stayed for seven years, he gave it a try, and it didn't produce a championship, so it was time to go a different way.

PFT: You came in the door the same time Randy Moss did. Did you ever sense that there was a double standard with him?

Birk: At some point. Most times people asked me, "What do you think of Randy Moss?" You know, I loved playing with him. But there were some times I think that he just would not think about what was best for the team, and I think he let his frustrations get the better of him some times. He would do things that would hurt the team, do things that other guys on the team would get asked about, so then we'd have to try to explain his actions. And he also put coaches in a tough situation by almost kind of daring them to discipline him. He's a great player, great talent. I think given the right situation, he could get an opportunity to be on a team that wins a championship. I think he probably looks back on his seven years in Minnesota and probably wishes he would have done some things differently. I mean, when I watched the Raiders play this year, I was rooting for him to see him break a big one and do what he does.

PFT: Was the notion that different rules applied to him something that was there both when Dennis Green was the head coach and when Mike Tice was the head coach?

Birk: I think he was different when he first came into the league, just from what I observed. He felt like he was slighted in the draft, and felt like he really had to prove himself. I think for the most part early in his career people were kind of expecting him to be the troublemaker, and I think that Randy gets a kick out of doing what people don't think he'll do. So for the first part of his career he basically tried to stay on the straight and narrow. After that, there were some times when the media or whoever would try to bait him to say stuff. The last couple years n Minnesota, he was frustrated and I think he said some things, did some things that he probably shouldn't have done. It probably didn't help him out, didn't help the team out, didn't help out Mike Tice. It kind of put Coach Tice in a tough situation. Our former owner Red McCombs, a couple of times he sided with Randy.

PFT: You think Tice wanted to get him out of there? That Tice thought he'd have a better chance of solidifying his hold on the team if Moss wasn't there to dilute the message?

Birk: Yeah, I mean when you're talking about "the guy" on your team and he walks off the field the before the game is over. Did it matter in the outcome? No. But you can't have your top guy doing that. Tom Brady wouldn't walk off the field.

PFT: Speaking of Brady and the game that he's been to a few times, and that you'd love to get to and that Randy Moss would love to get to, the Super Bowl. I'll ask you this because I know they can't fine players, especially after they didn't fine Joey Porter a few weeks ago, what did you think of the officiating?

Birk: I didn't think it was the best officiated game. But the officials, like a lot of the players, were probably nervous. In my opinion, that human element, that human error, I think that's part of the game.

PFT: Which ones did you think they missed?

Birk: I didn't like the pass interference call in the first quarter. The Roethlisberger touchdown, I think at normal speed you call that a touchdown.

PFT: How about the holding on Sean Locklear that brought the ball back from the two yard line?

Birk: Well, what I thought, I thought the guy was offside.

PFT: Well, and I'm asking an offensive lineman this.

Birk: Consider the source.

PFT: Yeah, it's not holding. I gored him with the horn on the side of my helmet, that's not a penalty. . . . Do you think that the game has gotten to the point, with the size and the speed, that there's just things that happen that the human eye cannot catch? Do you think that's part of what happens when these calls get missed?

Birk: I think the human eye is far quicker than any other parts of the body. Raider fans still talk about when Franco Harris caught the Immaculate Reception. Raider fans still say that didn't happen. That's part of the game. Did it cost Seattle the game? I don't think so. Pittsburgh, when it's all said and done, deserved to win that game. They made the big plays. Seattle had a chance to make plays and they didn't. It's like balls and strikes in baseball. That's just part of the deal. Overall, that adds to the intrigue of the game.

PFT: Do you think making the officials full-time employees will make it any better, or are we just talking about factors that are going to be there regardless of whether these guys are working one day a year or 365 days a year?

Birk: It would definitely help. And that's a good point, too. A lot of these guys, when they're at work, they've gotta be thinking about something else. If you make them full-time employees then from nine to five, Monday through Friday, they can be going through situations, they can be in that mindset of, "This is what could happen." I feel kind of bad for the officials because of that.

PFT: You've been playing this game for eight years now and you'll be 30 in July. How many more years do you think you've got?

Birk: I'm probably on the back nine of my career. With these recent injuries, I've learned that I'm never gonna take playing again for granted. I did that early in my career. I'm just taking it one year at a time. I'm hoping to go out there this year, feel pretty good, and contribute and play at a high level. If I can do all that and all that happens, then I'll come back for another year.

PFT: How many years does your contract run?

Birk: I have three years left on my contract.

PFT: Do you want to retire with the Vikings?

Birk: Oh, absolutely. I was born here, I'll die here. I don't want to leave.

PFT: What do you think will happen with the CBA?

Birk: I'm sure they'll get together on it. Everyone is making enough money. I think that [NFLPA Executive Director] Gene Upshaw is yelling fire before there's smoke by already talking about disbanding the union. I think you've got a lot of egos going on, but players are making a lot of money, owners are making a lot of money, and the league is as strong as it's ever been. Why would they screw everything up?

PFT: Is the union giving you guys updates on what's happening, or are you guys as in the dark as everyone else?

Birk: Pretty much in the dark. One thing about the union, in my opinion, they're always watching out for the union. They're going to put their spin on it, the league is going to put they're spin on it.

PFT: Are guys talking about the fact that free agency may not be as big of a deal this year as it's been in the past because of, for example, limitations on spreading out the signing bonus and because any incentives earned this year automatically hit the cap?

Birk: I don't really think it's an issue. There are so many things you can't control.

PFT: I was looking back at the 1998 Vikings roster, and it amazes me. It's you, Brad Johnson, Chris Liewinski, and Moe Williams. And Johnson was gone for five years.

Birk: Moe Williams was gone for a year, too.

PFT: Yeah, he was in Baltimore. I guess that's just the way it is now in the NFL, but did you ever think coming in that you'd still be with the Vikings eight years after the fact?

Birk: I was hoping to last eight days. I never expected things to work out the way they have. Especially being from here. It's every kid's dream. If my career ends today, if it ends five years from now, I've got nothing to complain about.

PFT: Well, Matt Birk, we've tied up your time for more than a half hour today, and I appreciate you taking the time to talk to us. We hope to see you back on the field this year, we hope to see you back in the Pro Bowl, we ultimately hope to see you running around a field somewhere with the Lombardi Trophy over your head.

Birk: If I got the Lombardi Trophy, I might be butt naked. Just to let you know.

PFT: We're not necessarily looking forward to that, depending on the camera angles.

Birk: I'm just warning you.

PFT: I don't know what they can do about that. They had the five-second delay this weekend for the Super Bowl. They'd have to have that little blurry spot thing.

Birk: They'd have to have a big blurry spot.

PFT: All right, buddy. We appreciate it, and maybe we'll talk again down the line at some point.

Birk: All right, thank you, Mike.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Matt Birk Speaks (updated Pts I & II)

Quote:

Birk: If I got the Lombardi Trophy, I might be butt naked. Just to let you know.

That would make two of us Birk, I'de be butt naked also, dancing thru my house....LMAO

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast