Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Matt Birk on the Defensive

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Skipping workouts is one thing I can kindof understand as he is getting older and a workout tailored to make him physically better is probably a good thing at this point in his career.

What pisses me off to no end is that he isn't there in the film study sessions figuring out what needs to be fixed with respect to overall line play and how he and TJ will overcome some of those issues related to pre-snap reads.

Skipping workouts = OK
    ;D
    Skipping important film study sessions = Not so Much.
    >
    Do you know if in fact they are even having important film study sessions during the OTA's & voluntary minicamps?

My guess is that due to the "voluntary" aspect of these camps, the important studies are reserved for & done during the mandatory camps.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Skipping workouts is one thing I can kindof understand as he is getting older and a workout tailored to make him physically better is probably a good thing at this point in his career.

What pisses me off to no end is that he isn't there in the film study sessions figuring out what needs to be fixed with respect to overall line play and how he and TJ will overcome some of those issues related to pre-snap reads.

Skipping workouts = OK
    ;D

>
    Do you know if in fact they are even having important film study sessions during the OTA's & voluntary minicamps?

My guess is that due to the "voluntary" aspect of these camps, the important studies are reserved for & done during the mandatory camps.
    Yes they do actually have film sessions during the off season as well as the "voluntary" OTAs.
    Determining importance is kindof a wash as you are correct, it isn't mandatory and some players elect to miss them.

Again, I struggle with that aspect.
    It was arguably our biggest issue last year that still needs to be addressed.
    I hope the time Birk elects to be there will be enough.
    :
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Ok I still have not got a solid source to where he has skipped in the past but I'll take your guys word for it, just don't understand why I didn't here about it at the time.

Birk should be gone after this season, last season he lacked consistency and conditioning. He's the only guy out of everyone who has decided not to attend Voluntaries. I'm hoping Childress dislikes it as much as I do and we get Sulivan or Mozes in as starting Center next year if Birk doesn't go down this season. It wouldn't surprise me if I found out that Sulivan is just as big and strong as Birk is right now.

Morris might know a little about what Birk needs to do but I garuntee our Conditioning program targets curtain things for every player, there job is anylizing each player to better them.

I'm going with notion that Birk nor Darren Sharper will be returning next season. I kinda hate to see Sharper going but he is aging and we got a real stud in Tyrell to replace him. He's always attended workouts voluntary or mandadorty but its the nature of business.

Jared Allen is fine to go work out with this guy in the offseason but as far as missing out on family/team activities I say no thanks. I believe every player signed up for Vikings football should be attending all activities. If Birk wants a new contract he's screwing himself, he should be at Winter Park instead of working out seperate from the team. This only hurts him for his future as Viking. Hopefully he can come through solid for one more season, to give the young guys a chance to learn.

Formo is offline Team Alumni

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    Ok I still have not got a solid source to where he has skipped in the past but I'll take your guys word for it, just don't understand why I didn't here about it at the time.

Birk should be gone after this season, last season he lacked consistency and conditioning. He's the only guy out of everyone who has decided not to attend Voluntaries. I'm hoping Childress dislikes it as much as I do and we get Sulivan or Mozes in as starting Center next year if Birk doesn't go down this season. It wouldn't surprise me if I found out that Sulivan is just as big and strong as Birk is right now.

Morris might know a little about what Birk needs to do but I garuntee our Conditioning program targets curtain things for every player, there job is anylizing each player to better them.

I'm going with notion that Birk nor Darren Sharper will be returning next season. I kinda hate to see Sharper going but he is aging and we got a real stud in Tyrell to replace him. He's always attended workouts voluntary or mandadorty but its the nature of business.

Jared Allen is fine to go work out with this guy in the offseason but as far as missing out on family/team activities I say no thanks. I believe every player signed up for Vikings football should be attending all activities. If Birk wants a new contract he's screwing himself, he should be at Winter Park instead of working out seperate from the team. This only hurts him for his future as Viking. Hopefully he can come through solid for one more season, to give the young guys a chance to learn.
    Read this article
    ...His clientele includes men and women, ages 15 to 54. He has trained with the likes of former WWE champion Brock Lesnar, and he might take on Vikings new defensive end Jared Allen. But he has one A-list regular, six-time Pro Bowl center Matt Birk, who skips the Vikings' voluntary workouts to lift four days a week with Morris.

"This is where I need to be," Birk said. "This is where I've always felt I've made my biggest strides in the offseason, in this gym. This gets me in the best shape and gives me the ability to play the best football that I can." ...
    That's the best I got..
    There's your source.
    Birk's been working out with Morris since he's been in the LEAGUE.
    And due to his not working out as much a few years ago, Birk thinks there's a correlation between his lacking of working out and his hernia injuries.

And I still stand by my statement that Matty B will still be a Viking for years down the road.
    And since you threw Sharp in there, I think he'll retire a Viking as well.
    Whether it be after this season or 2/3 seasons down the road.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Skipping workouts = OK
    ;D

>
    That is a good point. I don't care if he does not work out but he should be there for this. Very important IMO. Well at least the Center we drafted will be there.
    At the same time, these workouts are not neccesarily the place where such in-depth film studies take place for the players. Sure, the coaches may be mulling over the fix, but usually such a fix/scheme change will be installed in Training Camp, and Birk will be there for that.

The workouts he is missing is more about gaining a basic knowledge of the scheme. Birk already knows that like the back of his hand.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

mountainviking is online now Team Alumni

For young guys and new acquisitions, they need to be there.
    But a guy like Birk or Winfield knows most of those basics, and can get away with skipping some of the stuff this time of the year.
    They'll both be there for all the mandatory stuff and will still have a few months to digest any new plays.
    Guys like Sullivan and Mozes can probably use the extra reps that Birk missing gives them anyway...

One of those old articles in either the Star or Press had quotes from him and/or his agent saying that he was just doing what he always did, and that it had Nothing to do with his contract.
    As I recall, one of the papers was kind of perpetuating the rumor and the other had pretty direct quotes from Matt disputing it.

This situation kind of reminds me of the one with Pat Williams.
    Lots of speculation preseason, and then a real nice, couple of year/finish your career here contract, around mid season.

Birk is fine financially.
    Doesn't seem to me he's in it for the money anymore, cuz it looks like he's got good investments.
    But, he doesn't want to play for less than he's worth either, hard to blame him for that.
    The problem I guess is determining what he's worth.
    We should have a pretty good idea by mid season.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

mountainviking is online now Team Alumni

Sharper seems set to join the broadcast booth any year now.
    I'm glad we already have a young stud to potentially replace him next year or the one after!
    I wonder if he's already talked to the FO about it.
    Could be kind of a Robert Smith move, saving the body and going out looking good, instead of being dragged out.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Maybe Birk needs these camps, we definitly had miscommunication on the OLine, including a few blown assignments by the caller himself. He also looked winded in a few games, having trouble competing at the same level before the surguries. Since then he has not been as good but I also consider that many defenders stack the box, before when we had Moss his days were easier. Hopefully with the new addition we can make life easier for the offensive line. If everything pans out Birk could see a stellar season but I don't know about signing to retire here.

Someone brought up Winfield in the sense of skipping voluntaries. Might I add Winfield had a slow start, inparticularly the first four games of season, later on in the season he had unusuall injuries. Other than Eras and a few dings our whole team stayed relatively healthy last season, I credit the strength and conditioning.

This is a tuff scheme for olineman, we have not been consistent and the pocket colapses too much. Birk might know the scheme like the back of his hand but it doesn't mean he's executing it to our standards. Probably a good reason why he has not been resigned.

Sharper could be replaced this year by Tyrell, he's that good and smart. Next year it would be very difficult to keep him off the field. Sharper also has a history of speaking to media in ways he probably shouldn't another reason why I can see a quiet goodbye. For now he should remain the veteran starter. There's no way we resign him to retire unless he decides to play backup to Tyrell Johnson.

If Winfield has a killer season like usuall and stays healthy I hope he gets his extension. He's truely the heart of the defense along with Pat, I've watched him his entire Viking carear and when he's not playing it hurts our team.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Skipping workouts = OK
    ;D
    >

Yes they do actually have film sessions during the off season as well as the "voluntary" OTAs.
    Determining importance is kindof a wash as you are correct, it isn't mandatory and some players elect to miss them.

Again, I struggle with that aspect.
    It was arguably our biggest issue last year that still needs to be addressed.
    I hope the time Birk elects to be there will be enough.
    :
    Yeah most teams go in after practice and break down their practice.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

I agree with Formo.
    Birk doesn't need to be there for OTA's. And I don't believe it has anything to do with a contract dispute.
    I also think he will play well this year. It is his contract year.

I think Allen does need to attend OTA's simply to enhance team chemistry and coach familiarity as well as work in the new system.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast