Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 12345 13 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 334

Thread: Matt Birk

  1. #21
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,271

    Re: Matt Birk

    [size=10pt]Birk's last game with Vikings?[/size]

    1/5/2009 9:55:02 AM

    By Guy N. Limbeck
    Post-Bulletin, Rochester MN



    MINNEAPOLIS -- After Sunday's playoff loss to Philadelphia, Vikings center Matt Birk met with family members to take a picture on the Metrodome field.....


    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  2. #22
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Matt Birk

    "singersp" wrote:
    "PurplePowerPunch" wrote:
    Birk has declined alot the past few years. Time to see what Sullivan has!
    I'm really looking forward to drastic changes on the line (Birk) & (Cook) & waiting yet another 3-5 years for the o-line to gel & grasp the complicated blocking scheme.
    I wish I could find that quote again.
    You keep using it out of context.
    He said it took 5 years to install.
    Of course after you have a line doing it and you replace a guy or two it doesn't re-take 3-5 more years.

    Quit with the crazy talk.

    Besides, the ZB isn't the issue with this OL and you know it.
    Its our pass blocking that is a issue.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  3. #23
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,271

    Re: Matt Birk

    "jorgie" wrote:
    According to the PP today Matt Birk, 6 time Pro Bowler and probably the best center in the NFL doesn't get along well with Brad Childress.

    I think we all know what that means. :'(
    When you cite an article, it is always best to include the portion of the article your are referring to & then providing the link to that article;

    That Birk and Vikings coach Brad Childress do not have an ideal player-coach relationship is not a secret within the organization, yet neither has publicly aired the nature of their issues.
    [size=13pt]Uncertainty sets in for Darren Sharper, Matt Birk and Minnesota Vikings' other free agents[/size]

    Vikings haven't tipped their hand regarding Birk's and Sharper's status

    By Rick Alonzo and Sean Jensen
    Pioneer Press


    Posted: 01/05/2009 12:01:00 AM CST


    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  4. #24
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,849

    Re: Matt Birk

    "Bretto007" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Bretto007" wrote:
    Anyone else notice that none of the players seem to get along with coach Childress.
    Not even Birk, one of the most popular guys in and out of the locker room.
    gol 'darnit, what the hell is wrong with Childress that he rubs everyone the wrong way?

    Anyone remember the time Paul Allen had Childress on air and the two of the them got into it?
    Childress said something about Paul only being out for awards and trying to make a name for himself.
    I thought that showed how little class Childress has.
    So, you know for a fact that none of the players get along with Chiller?

    I wish I had your contacts.
    Its a figure of speech.
    Don't be a semantics nazi.
    The impression Childress has made is that he is not a very easy person to get along with.
    There are more examples proving this point then not.
    Whether a person is a fan of his coaching or not it is commonly agreed that Childress rubs alot of people the wrong way.
    Which was the whole point of my post.
    It wasn't a figure of speech.
    You stated, "Anyone else notice that none of the players seem to get along with coach Childress"
    Then you stated, "gol 'darnit, what the hell is wrong with Childress that he rubs everyone the wrong way?"

    What you failed to mention is all the players currently on the team that are supporting him to no end.
    Look at AP, JA, AW just to name a few.
    Birk's circumstance is speculation right now but I do believe there is some truth to it.
    I don't think Childress is very happy he works out away from the team and therefore they may be budding heads.
    But to say none or everyone is not a figure of speech and it's ridiculous trying to prove your belief that Childress isn't good for the team.
    I think Wilf would see that and if it were the case changes would have been made a long time ago.

  5. #25
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,916

    Re: Matt Birk

    Let see,
    Our team fails to make it to the Divisonal round in 05. What do we do? Blame the pathetic defense we have or the 5 time pro bowl WR on our Roster and run him out of town?

    Our team fail to make the Divisonal Round in 09 What do we do, Blame the erratic QB or the 7 time Pro Bowl Center and run him out of town?

    What is it whit this fan base? Do you know why our O line sucks in passing downs? It's because our Offense sucks. We ahve a superstar running back that we have to put on the sidelines because the coach can't figure out how to use him as a decoy/reciver and nullifies any potential playaction we could have used as trickery. Our WRs corp is a joke( minus BB and Wade) and Our Qb situation can be compared to taking your Mom or Sister to the Prom( go with sis, her breast don't sag
    :)Our Oline has to make an absurd amount of reads and checks because no one respects our QB. No one thinks he can get the ball accuratly to his WRs.

    If you want to blame Birk go right ahead. However, let me ask you this. Do you trust Childress and Co. has found a suitable replacement for Birk after all the thrash, they have brought in in the past 3 years? Heck we signed a FB to replace the " aging vet" Richardson and he played like Thrash(Lets forget about the fact that he fooled them into signing him). Thi sis the same FO that thought they can turn Ryan Cook into a RT. The same FO that brought us the TJ show and Billy McMullen. The same Fo that signed Hicks to return kicks. I could go on and I'm sure alot of you will counter that they Drafted a sure thing in AD. I don't trust anything they do or say. Loosing Sharper and Birk will cause a Randy Moss like tailspin for this franchise.

  6. #26
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,955

    Re: Matt Birk

    "kevoncox" wrote:
    Let see,
    Our team fails to make it to the Divisonal round in 05. What do we do? Blame the pathetic defense we have or the 5 time pro bowl WR on our Roster and run him out of town?

    Our team fail to make the Divisonal Round in 09 What do we do, Blame the erratic QB or the 7 time Pro Bowl Center and run him out of town?

    What is it whit this fan base? Do you know why our O line sucks in passing downs? It's because our Offense sucks. We ahve a superstar running back that we have to put on the sidelines because the coach can't figure out how to use him as a decoy/reciver and nullifies any potential playaction we could have used as trickery. Our WRs corp is a joke( minus BB and Wade) and Our Qb situation can be compared to taking your Mom or Sister to the Prom( go with sis, her breast don't sag
    :)Our Oline has to make an absurd amount of reads and checks because no one respects our QB. No one thinks he can get the ball accuratly to his WRs.

    If you want to blame Birk go right ahead. However, let me ask you this. Do you trust Childress and Co. has found a suitable replacement for Birk after all the thrash, they have brought in in the past 3 years? Heck we signed a FB to replace the " aging vet" Richardson and he played like Thrash(Lets forget about the fact that he fooled them into signing him). Thi sis the same FO that thought they can turn Ryan Cook into a RT. The same FO that brought us the TJ show and Billy McMullen. The same Fo that signed Hicks to return kicks. I could go on and I'm sure alot of you will counter that they Drafted a sure thing in AD. I don't trust anything they do or say. Loosing Sharper and Birk will cause a Randy Moss like tailspin for this franchise.
    I see your point..!! and it's a good one... I'm all for keeping both of them!... AT A GOOD PRICE.! for a year or two.. but this will be there last contract and i'm sure each of them will want good money for what they did not for what they will do... and i'm not sure it will cause a Moss like tailspin.. I think that's a bit of a reach...

    but i think it will set the defense and offensive line back a bit, unless they bring in good vets, and not replace from within.. I just don't see tyrell being ready.. and for some reason, the secondary looked a lot more fluid with sharper back there vs. tyrell... with the loss of Birk who knows?.. pass blocking can't get anyw worse can it??

    You know what??..
    I wonder if the switch to zone blocking is helping our run game, but hurting our pass game, since the way you block is soo much different!... and our o-line can't make the switch between pass downs and run downs on a consistent basis... what do you think?.. just a theory... it seems Houston may have the same problem... Denver? sometimes...

  7. #27
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,916

    Re: Matt Birk

    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    Let see,
    Our team fails to make it to the Divisonal round in 05. What do we do? Blame the pathetic defense we have or the 5 time pro bowl WR on our Roster and run him out of town?

    Our team fail to make the Divisonal Round in 09 What do we do, Blame the erratic QB or the 7 time Pro Bowl Center and run him out of town?

    What is it whit this fan base? Do you know why our O line sucks in passing downs? It's because our Offense sucks. We ahve a superstar running back that we have to put on the sidelines because the coach can't figure out how to use him as a decoy/reciver and nullifies any potential playaction we could have used as trickery. Our WRs corp is a joke( minus BB and Wade) and Our Qb situation can be compared to taking your Mom or Sister to the Prom( go with sis, her breast don't sag
    :)Our Oline has to make an absurd amount of reads and checks because no one respects our QB. No one thinks he can get the ball accuratly to his WRs.

    If you want to blame Birk go right ahead. However, let me ask you this. Do you trust Childress and Co. has found a suitable replacement for Birk after all the thrash, they have brought in in the past 3 years? Heck we signed a FB to replace the " aging vet" Richardson and he played like Thrash(Lets forget about the fact that he fooled them into signing him). Thi sis the same FO that thought they can turn Ryan Cook into a RT. The same FO that brought us the TJ show and Billy McMullen. The same Fo that signed Hicks to return kicks. I could go on and I'm sure alot of you will counter that they Drafted a sure thing in AD. I don't trust anything they do or say. Loosing Sharper and Birk will cause a Randy Moss like tailspin for this franchise.
    I see your point..!! and it's a good one... I'm all for keeping both of them!... AT A GOOD PRICE.! for a year or two.. but this will be there last contract and i'm sure each of them will want good money for what they did not for what they will do... and i'm not sure it will cause a Moss like tailspin.. I think that's a bit of a reach...

    but i think it will set the defense and offensive line back a bit, unless they bring in good vets, and not replace from within.. I just don't see tyrell being ready.. and for some reason, the secondary looked a lot more fluid with sharper back there vs. tyrell... with the loss of Birk who knows?.. pass blocking can't get anyw worse can it??

    You know what??..
    I wonder if the switch to zone blocking is helping our run game, but hurting our pass game, since the way you block is soo much different!... and our o-line can't make the switch between pass downs and run downs on a consistent basis... what do you think?.. just a theory... it seems Houston may have the same problem... Denver? sometimes...
    It's just absurd the negativity Birk gets.
    Maybe if we didn't have Ryan " I get beat on every play" Cook starting then a TE could be used more effectively and that would reduce the LBs blitzing and Birk wouldn't have to try and pick up 2 Lbs up his Gap. I don't hear people crying fro Hutch to get the Axe and he is worst in Pass blocking that Birk.

  8. #28
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,849

    Re: Matt Birk

    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    Let see,
    Our team fails to make it to the Divisonal round in 05. What do we do? Blame the pathetic defense we have or the 5 time pro bowl WR on our Roster and run him out of town?

    Our team fail to make the Divisonal Round in 09 What do we do, Blame the erratic QB or the 7 time Pro Bowl Center and run him out of town?

    What is it whit this fan base? Do you know why our O line sucks in passing downs? It's because our Offense sucks. We ahve a superstar running back that we have to put on the sidelines because the coach can't figure out how to use him as a decoy/reciver and nullifies any potential playaction we could have used as trickery. Our WRs corp is a joke( minus BB and Wade) and Our Qb situation can be compared to taking your Mom or Sister to the Prom( go with sis, her breast don't sag
    :)Our Oline has to make an absurd amount of reads and checks because no one respects our QB. No one thinks he can get the ball accuratly to his WRs.

    If you want to blame Birk go right ahead. However, let me ask you this. Do you trust Childress and Co. has found a suitable replacement for Birk after all the thrash, they have brought in in the past 3 years? Heck we signed a FB to replace the " aging vet" Richardson and he played like Thrash(Lets forget about the fact that he fooled them into signing him). Thi sis the same FO that thought they can turn Ryan Cook into a RT. The same FO that brought us the TJ show and Billy McMullen. The same Fo that signed Hicks to return kicks. I could go on and I'm sure alot of you will counter that they Drafted a sure thing in AD. I don't trust anything they do or say. Loosing Sharper and Birk will cause a Randy Moss like tailspin for this franchise.
    I see your point..!! and it's a good one... I'm all for keeping both of them!... AT A GOOD PRICE.! for a year or two.. but this will be there last contract and i'm sure each of them will want good money for what they did not for what they will do... and i'm not sure it will cause a Moss like tailspin.. I think that's a bit of a reach...

    but i think it will set the defense and offensive line back a bit, unless they bring in good vets, and not replace from within.. I just don't see tyrell being ready.. and for some reason, the secondary looked a lot more fluid with sharper back there vs. tyrell... with the loss of Birk who knows?.. pass blocking can't get anyw worse can it??

    You know what??..
    I wonder if the switch to zone blocking is helping our run game, but hurting our pass game, since the way you block is soo much different!... and our o-line can't make the switch between pass downs and run downs on a consistent basis... what do you think?.. just a theory... it seems Houston may have the same problem... Denver? sometimes...
    You do make some decent points Kevon but you also fail to mention to great players they have brought in such as CTaylor, Hutch, Berrain, Allen, MWilliams, Shiancoe, Leber, etc... They have also drafted AP, Griffin, Chadway that have all made terrific contributions.

    You take the good with the bad and you aren't going to get 100% perfection when it comes to assessing talent.
    I think your expectations are way to high since that is what you are implying.
    It is true they have had some difficulties making some decisions but name me a coaching staff that doesn't.
    I saw it a couple of times during the season and was very angry during the Eagles game.
    But it doesn't mean this team isn't going in the right direction and you have to give credit where it's due whether you like or hate the guy.

  9. #29
    ultravikingfan's Avatar
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    24,514

    Re: Matt Birk

    "Bretto007" wrote:
    Anyone else notice that none of the players seem to get along with coach Childress.
    Not even Birk, one of the most popular guys in and out of the locker room.
    Damn, what the hell is wrong with Childress that he rubs everyone the wrong way?

    Anyone remember the time Paul Allen had Childress on air and the two of the them got into it?
    Childress said something about Paul only being out for awards and trying to make a name for himself.
    I thought that showed how little class Childress has.
    Don't make blind assumptions.
    Fact is you and I know very little how the players feel about Chilly.

  10. #30
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Matt Birk

    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    You know what??..
    I wonder if the switch to zone blocking is helping our run game, but hurting our pass game, since the way you block is soo much different!... and our o-line can't make the switch between pass downs and run downs on a consistent basis... what do you think?.. just a theory... it seems Houston may have the same problem... Denver? sometimes...
    I agree with you on this but with a different twist.

    I think they do pretty good when they ZB but have troubles switching between that and Man-to-man blocking if they have a run play called.

    I also attribute some of our issues to the line call that happens pre snap especially in Man-to-man blocking associated with the passing plays.

    Watched Denver alot this year.
    I don't think they have the same problem especially since they started to move to a bigger OLmen.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 12345 13 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Matt Birk
    By Minniman in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-12-2010, 11:35 PM
  2. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-11-2009, 04:27 PM
  3. Matt Birk
    By vikings_fan66 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 10-19-2008, 05:11 PM
  4. Q & A with Matt Birk
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-10-2008, 07:02 PM
  5. Matt Birk
    By Justin311 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-27-2006, 06:52 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •