Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni

Re: Mark Schlereth gives us the "STINK"!

"StillPurple" wrote:
    I actually have posted some moderately positive stuff about Tarvaris. Here it is, again. This is my real, honest to God opinion:

POSITIVES:
    - Very strong arm
    - Can throw long while rolling out
    - Works hard
    - Never complains
    - Has earned the respect of teammates
    - Good mobility and can run for the first down

NEGATIVES:
    - Seems confused in camp and in games
    - Tends to panic and run at the first sign that pocket is collapsing, no ability to stand in there
    - Inaccurate throws, behind the receiver, etc.
    - Seems confused when reading defenses
    - Throws off back foot (Washington game)
    - Does not have NFL mechanics
    - Overly nervous and lacks poise

Now let's look at Booty: a lot of things he has, compensate for what T-Jacks doesn't have:

- Good mechanics
    - Ability to stand in the collapsing pocket
    - Accuracy in the short to middle range passes
    - Read of defenses...
    - Understanding of west coast scheme

Whereas, Tarvaris has some things that Booty doesn't: mobility and ability to throw deep, even on the run...
    well there something really wrong with this post... and thats the fact you are comparing Tjack vs NFL teams and Booty vs College teams we still have no clue how Booty will play in the NFL

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"StillPurple" wrote:
    I actually have posted some moderately positive stuff about Tarvaris. Here it is, again. This is my real, honest to God opinion:

POSITIVES:
    - Very strong arm
    - Works hard
    - Never complains

NEGATIVES:
    - Tends to panic and run at the first sign that pocket is collapsing, no ability to stand in there

Now let's look at Booty: a lot of things he has, compensate for what T-Jacks doesn't have:

- Good mechanics
    - Read of defenses...

Whereas, Tarvaris has some things that Booty doesn't: mobility and ability to throw deep, even on the run...
    You can't compare TJack and Booty.

One has played against NFL competition, the other has not. There's no logical way to compare what we've seen from the two until we see JDB in game.

DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni

"Mr" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:

POSITIVES:
    - Very strong arm
    - Works hard
    - Never complains

NEGATIVES:

- Good mechanics
    - Read of defenses...

You can't compare TJack and Booty.

One has played against NFL competition, the other has not. There's no logical way to compare what we've seen from the two until we see JDB in game.
    haha we both were thinking the same thing ;D

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"Mr" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Braddock" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    Well, it is pretty much clear around the NFL, except for those on this site who have lined up and actually drank the "Tarvaris Kool-Aide (TM)", that the Vikings in 2008 are stacked at almost ever position, except WR, TE and QB. Everyone in the NFL knows this, so quit pretending... :

Quit trying to pretend that Tarvaris is good, and that he is not the one factor that will keep us out of the Super Bowl, because absolutely everyone in the NFL knows this.

Sometimes, someone just needs to drop the Knowledge and bring some reality into this whole thing.

BTW, don't call me a Tarvaris "hater", because I will just turn around and call you a "Booty Hater".

The Booty Era needs to begin, as fast as possible...
    Still, i'd be less inclined to call you a T-Jack hater, if all of your posts weren't 1.) anti-TJ and 2.) all general opinion sentences on why you don't like him.... I mean you can't argue he made progress, and that he still has started less than 16 games... and JDB needs some time to learn. Only rookie QB i'd like starting this year would be Matt Ryan, but he's not on our team.
    Matt Ryan? Lol.. You mean the guy without a good arm, mobility, and a "gunslinger's mentality"? That guy is a bust and will be a bust shortly. He got drafted because of his leadership ability and " intangables" lol..

Back to the Jack. I think he was terrible last season. Aweful! He set the art of QBing bak a generation. However, I hear he has been doing nothing
    but working his butt off and watching film. That can turn a player into something special. My beefs with TJ last season are as explained..

Everyone speaks so highly of the games where he went 7 for 10 and a td? Wtf? Is this high school? a pro Qb should not be appluaded for going
    7 for 10. That'n not an amazing line. I do think people drink the kool- aid on this site way too much....

Yet, I still have faith he will play like a pro qb this year.
    The only way Matt Ryan will bust is because he plays on Atlanta and has been put in a really bad situation. You obviously know Daunte Culpepper, all the physical ability in the world, huge, mobile, ridiculous arm, can make all the throws, and what did he lack? Intangibles. Unintelligent, no leadership skills, and lost confidence after one mistake/turnover.
    He was drafted purely for his physical ability, and look how that turned out, a few big seasons, but only took his team to the playoffs once, and was carried by his big receiver, offensive line, and running game.

Matt Ryan can make all the throws, I'm sure his arm is strong enough to throw it deep enough for a normal NFL offense, maybe the Ted Ginns, Randy Mosses, and Clifford Franklins of the world can outrun his arm, but two of those guys are ridiculously fast, and one doesn't actually exist.
    I think if you put a team around Matt Ryan he'll be very good.

And as far as the 7 for 10 comment goes... are you serious? If a quarterback completes 70% of his passes in a season, that's a ridiculous year.
    He put up one of the ebst seasons for
    a Qb ever. He had one of the best 2nd years for a Qb ever. Do you forget what our Defense looked like back then? Everyone blames Culpepper but he didn't play Defense and we didn't have a running game. However, we were always in the running.

Ryan sucks. He played in an average division and his break out game was one tha he threw 3 ints in and was the REASON his team was down. You are comparing Ryan's college stats to Culpepper's pro? Ryan sucks guy and will be another David Carr. He' makes worst reads than Culpepper in college.

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Braddock" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    Well, it is pretty much clear around the NFL, except for those on this site who have lined up and actually drank the "Tarvaris Kool-Aide (TM)", that the Vikings in 2008 are stacked at almost ever position, except WR, TE and QB. Everyone in the NFL knows this, so quit pretending... :

Quit trying to pretend that Tarvaris is good, and that he is not the one factor that will keep us out of the Super Bowl, because absolutely everyone in the NFL knows this.

Sometimes, someone just needs to drop the Knowledge and bring some reality into this whole thing.

BTW, don't call me a Tarvaris "hater", because I will just turn around and call you a "Booty Hater".

The Booty Era needs to begin, as fast as possible...
    Still, i'd be less inclined to call you a T-Jack hater, if all of your posts weren't 1.) anti-TJ and 2.) all general opinion sentences on why you don't like him.... I mean you can't argue he made progress, and that he still has started less than 16 games... and JDB needs some time to learn. Only rookie QB i'd like starting this year would be Matt Ryan, but he's not on our team.
    Matt Ryan? Lol.. You mean the guy without a good arm, mobility, and a "gunslinger's mentality"? That guy is a bust and will be a bust shortly. He got drafted because of his leadership ability and " intangables" lol..

Back to the Jack. I think he was terrible last season. Aweful! He set the art of QBing bak a generation. However, I hear he has been doing nothing
    but working his butt off and watching film. That can turn a player into something special. My beefs with TJ last season are as explained..

Everyone speaks so highly of the games where he went 7 for 10 and a td? Wtf? Is this high school? a pro Qb should not be appluaded for going
    7 for 10. That'n not an amazing line. I do think people drink the kool- aid on this site way too much....

Yet, I still have faith he will play like a pro qb this year.
    The only way Matt Ryan will bust is because he plays on Atlanta and has been put in a really bad situation. You obviously know Daunte Culpepper, all the physical ability in the world, huge, mobile, ridiculous arm, can make all the throws, and what did he lack? Intangibles. Unintelligent, no leadership skills, and lost confidence after one mistake/turnover.
    He was drafted purely for his physical ability, and look how that turned out, a few big seasons, but only took his team to the playoffs once, and was carried by his big receiver, offensive line, and running game.

Matt Ryan can make all the throws, I'm sure his arm is strong enough to throw it deep enough for a normal NFL offense, maybe the Ted Ginns, Randy Mosses, and Clifford Franklins of the world can outrun his arm, but two of those guys are ridiculously fast, and one doesn't actually exist.
    I think if you put a team around Matt Ryan he'll be very good.

And as far as the 7 for 10 comment goes... are you serious? If a quarterback completes 70% of his passes in a season, that's a ridiculous year.
    He put up one of the ebst seasons for
    a Qb ever. He had one of the best 2nd years for a Qb ever. Do you forget what our Defense looked like back then? Everyone blames Culpepper but he didn't play Defense and we didn't have a running game. However, we were always in the running.

Ryan sucks. He played in an average division and his break out game was one tha he threw 3 ints in and was the REASON his team was down. You are comparing Ryan's college stats to Culpepper's pro? Ryan sucks guy and will be another David Carr. He' makes worst reads than Culpepper in college.
    He did put up one of the best seasons for a QB ever, you're right about that. And how many times did he make the playoffs? Once. How many games in said playoffs did he win? One. What was his record as a starter? Sub .500. Besides his monster 2004 season, which I believe he deserved MVP for honestly, had it not been for Peyton's TD record, Culpepper would have won it even if Manning fell one short, Daunte would have won the MVP award.

"Best 2nd year for a QB ever," do you mean 2000? His rookie year, 1999, he appeared in one game, and threw like 3-4 passes for like 10 yards. His second year was very good, he had very strong numbers, but fell off the next season.

I know exactly what our defense looked like back then, read my post in "Not a pro/anti Tjack thread but an honest question" thread.

We absolutely did have a running game. We had a damn good running game actually, we never had a single outstanding back between Smith and Taylor, but that doesn't mean we didn't have a good running game.

2002 We were the #1 Running offense in the NFL
    2003 We Ranked 6th running the ball, 4th in yards.
    2004 We only ranked 18th in yardage, but were 2nd in yards per attempt

Not once in my previous post did I mention a single statistic so I don't know where you're getting "You are comparing Ryan's college stats to Culpepper's pro?" from.

"He' makes worst reads than Culpepper in college."
    I don't know your past, but I'm relatively certain you knew absolutely nothing about Daunte Culpepper's college career. UCF is never televised, so unless you're basing you're knowledge of his ability to read a defense on old scouting reports, you know no more than anyone else here.

And look at him now, was the backup on one of the worst teams in the NFL, now he's a free agent drawing virtually no attention. Man he's a great QB.
    :

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Mr" wrote:

He did put up one of the best seasons for a QB ever, you're right about that. And how many times did he make the playoffs? Once. How many games in said playoffs did he win? One. What was his record as a starter? Sub .500. Besides his monster 2004 season, which I believe he deserved MVP for honestly, had it not been for Peyton's TD record, Culpepper would have won it even if Manning fell one short, Daunte would have won the MVP award.
    I just laugh when people throw out that stat. They forget it is a team sport & you have to play good ball both on offense & defense.

In over 15 of those loses, the offense scored between 22 & 38 points which should be good enough to win most games, but our defense allowed our opponents to score more.

When your offense scores 38 points & you lose the game, how can anyone blame the offense for losing the game?

Using your logic, how many games did AD cost us by running for 66 yards or less?

6 of 8 to be exact.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"singersp" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:

I just laugh when people throw out that stat. They forget it is a team sport & you have to play good ball both on offense & defense.

In over 15 of those loses, the offense scored between 22 & 38 points which should be good enough to win most games, but our defense allowed our opponents to score more.

When your offense scores 38 points & you lose the game, how can anyone blame the offense for losing the game?

Using your logic, how many games did AD cost us by running for 66 yards or less?

6 of 8 to be exact.
    Would you not use that when trying to make a case against a player?

I'm well aware of what the defense did while he was here, I link to it in my previous post.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    I take it as a good sign. Two years ago he was one of the few showing the Vikings love.
    I like the guy but don't respect his ability to pick anything but obvious winners.
    But who knows, maybe he's right. There are a lot of TJ doubters.I think most of us can understand that. But we also can't wait to prove the doubters wrong.
    Will it be this season? It's long overdue.
    This is a good sign.
    Schlereth is wrong more than he is right.
    Who cares what he thinks?
    Who cares what anyone thinks at this point?
    Bottom line is we won't know till the season starts.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Schlereth has not been a fan of Tarvaris at all. His standards are from his playing days with Elway, so T-Jack does have some improvement to make.

I bet we see the Jack take some big steps this season. People forget that this is a team sport, and you go as your team does. With the talent level getting better on this team, guys like AD, Berian, Hutch, will raise the play of all around them including Tarvaris. I'm looking for a 20 TD, 11 interception season this year from Tarvaris with about 3000 yrds.

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

"PurpleTide" wrote:

Schlereth has not been a fan of Tarvaris at all. His standards are from his playing days with Elway, so T-Jack does have some improvement to make.

I bet we see the Jack take some big steps this season. People forget that this is a team sport, and you go as your team does. With the talent level getting better on this team, guys like AD, Berian, Hutch, will raise the play of all around them including Tarvaris. I'm looking for a 20 TD, 11 interception season this year from Tarvaris with about 3000 yrds.
    I pray to god we see TJack take some big steps this season, and show some of the promise that evidently his coaches have seen in practice.
    Because if he doesn't, the Vikings might as well flush another promising season right down the toilet.
    I am not a big Childress fan, but I would rather see the Vikings do well and be proven wrong then see the Vikings falter again and Childress get canned at the end of the season.
    NFL teams do not become successful by changing coaches every three
    years.
    I think that is pretty much a proven fact.
    There is always an adjustment period for the new coach.
    Stability brings
    winners.
    For Childress sake, and all Vikings fans everywhere, I hope he is right about TJack.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast