Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    PacMan21 is offline Starter

Mark Rosen interviewed Brad Childress

Tonight, on WCCO, Mark Rosen sat down and talked to Brad Childress about the upcoming season.

Here is some of what he said:

1) Troy Williamson is on a short leash, but they have confidence that he'll break out of his slump and be a real contributor this season

2) They are comfortable with Tavaris Jackson as the starting QB in 2008, but they said if "the right guy" (which means Brady Quinn) is available at #7, we'll probably take him because "competition brings out the best in people."

3) They didn't specify on what positions, but they want to add 3 starters through the draft.

4) They are still in the mode of adding "good character" players. He said, "We want people to treat all the janitors the same, if it's here at the practice facility, or at the Metrodome." (not exact, but pretty close)

5) If he ever is to leave, he said that he doesn't want to leave us in bad shape by supporting overpaying for average players (like Fred Smoot), and that he's confident that he'll be around for a while.

If someone else wants to add to this, this is all that I can remember. But I think I covered a lot of it.

Thanks for the sig PurplePeopleEaters

Re: Mark Rosen interviewed Brad Childress

{sarcasm on} He also said he reads this message board, and will be faithfully monitoring the opinions of his harshest critics in 2006 and now................. then doing the exact opposite of that in 2007.

{sarcasm off}

His mentioning 'good character' should provide some guidance as to why some free agents were not pursued, and the same goes for draft board slotting.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

davike is offline Team Alumni

I doubt they would waste our #7 pick on Quinn just to bring in competition....if they wanted competition they would probably get another vet. Plus if he did bring in Quinn then he would have to let go either Jackson or Quinn after a year or so, and in that situation he wouldn't want to get rid of either as it would seem he just wasted a draft pick. The fans would really call for his head then. He is probably just trying to bring up the trade value of our pick.

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

"davike" wrote:
    I doubt they would waste our #7 pick on Quinn just to bring in competition....if they wanted competition they would probably get another vet. Plus if he did bring in Quinn then he would have to let go either Jackson or Quinn after a year or so, and in that situation he wouldn't want to get rid of either as it would seem he just wasted a draft pick. The fans would really call for his head then. He is probably just trying to bring up the trade value of our pick.
    They will be looking for competition.

If Quinn is not available, they will likley pick up a vet QB AFTER the draft, during or after pre-season, when a vet is cut in favor of a rookie QB.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

"Purplexing" wrote:
    "davike" wrote:

If Quinn is not available, they will likley pick up a vet QB AFTER the draft, during or after pre-season, when a vet is cut in favor of a rookie QB.

I think you're wrong on that assumption Bollinger is the veteran QB. I'd assume we'd take Quinn if for no other reason that he is a big name that may get the fair weather people interested, otherwise I think we'll choose somebody on day 2 to compete with Henson for the final roster spot.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

You think he would waste his investments in Jackson? If he drafts Quinn then he is just asking for trouble from his players and the fans. I realize he doesn't care to much about what fans think, but he must care somewhat as they pay the bills.

"FuadFan" wrote:
    "Purplexing" wrote:
    "davike" wrote:

I think you're wrong on that assumption Bollinger is the veteran QB. I'd assume we'd take Quinn if for no other reason that he is a big name that may get the fair weather people interested, otherwise I think we'll choose somebody on day 2 to compete with Henson for the final roster spot.
    I'm thinking that if they wanted to please the "fair weather" people, then they would probably trade up and try to take Johnson as he would actually fill in a need.
    I agree about taking a rookie QB in the second day though.

"davike" wrote:
    You think he would waste his investments in Jackson? If he drafts Quinn then he is just asking for trouble from his players and the fans. I realize he doesn't care to much about what fans think, but he must care somewhat as they pay the bills.
    Oh, so the fans are supposed to dictate what the team does as far as draft picks, free agent signings, etc.?

Do you allow your neighbors to tell you what brand of new tires to put on your car, what paint to paint your living room, what kind of food to have for supper, .... ?

Jackson and Bollinger would compete for a backup QB spot behind Quinn, assuming Quinn wins the starting job.
    Backup QB is not a 'wasted' draft pick. It provides insurance in case of injury to the starter.

Actually, the fans pay a small part of the bills.
    TV and radio advertising pays a huge portion of the revenue.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

I would highly doubt, and I would hope not, that the team is not considering the fans when they make any decisions.

They have to do what is right for the team, not us.
    Sure, they make mistakes as do we.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Thanks for the recap.
    Hopefully the brain trust will keep getting the word out to stave off the mass exodus from the great Viking flag ship.

As for Quinn, if he is there, I bet they take him.
    Again I will refer to Green speak.......

Several times we have heard them say something alongs these lines, now it is just a bit clearer......

2) They are comfortable with Tavaris Jackson as the starting QB in 2008, but they said if "the right guy" (which means Brady Quinn) is available at #7, we'll probably take him because "competition brings out the best in people."
    Remember, some of us contend on this site that he (being B-chill) thought that Brad would at least get them 2 good years allowing for the project QB to mature.

I believe Quinn can come in and run the WCO now.

Additionally, as I have stated before, picks used in previous drafts are not wasted.
    TJ has lots of potential, if they don't take Quinn, they will draft another QB later or pick up a undrafted FA.

Lets quit with the wasted pick thing.
    It doesn't wash with anybody but people who think they do, but don't know anything about football.
    ;D

;D Davike, you know I am not just picking on you with that one.
    I just see that statement to many times
    ;D
    :-*
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast