Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Tom Powers: Yep, that Johnny Manziel (wink, wink) is a problem waiting to happen - TwinCities.com

Pretty much my gut feeling on those comments too...I sense a bit of respect for that fiery demeanor in between those lines.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    Tom Powers: Yep, that Johnny Manziel (wink, wink) is a problem waiting to happen - TwinCities.com

Pretty much my gut feeling on those comments too...I sense a bit of respect for that fiery demeanor in between those lines.
    Agreed. I don't know if Manziel will also show up, but I DO know Bridgewater will be on the "Game-changer" program on NFL Network, so I am hoping he does great things to raise his stock. We need that guy to perform!!
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    2014 NFL Mock Draft - WalterFootball.com

Oakland Raiders: Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State
    This may still surprise some people, but as I wrote last week, I've been hearing more and more that multiple teams in the top 10 prefer Carr over both Teddy Bridgewater and/or Johnny Manziel. We're trained to think that Bridgewater and Manziel will go before Carr because of what we've heard on TV or read on news-aggregator Web sites, but "strange" things happen on Draft Day because teams simply think differently at times.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

QFFL is offline Waterboy
    I am not sure any of the top 3 QB will become a true Franchise QB. NFL is QB needy league, but I still feel they don't belong in the top half of the first round draft, where they probably all will end up.
    QFFL.com 2014 NFL Draft Challenge

Manziel's Pro Day

I think the problem is people see the first round of the draft as only for players that can help a club NOW, and sometimes, there isn't TEN players that have the immediate skills to do that, much less 32.

I try to see the draft like people view the baseball draft, in that they are the potential stars of tomorrow, not right now! Even Clowney will need to learn a few things in OTAs and pre-season to have the maximum impact.

As such, QBs should be in the first round, because no one can be expected to help NOW, but the best future stars should be taken there and developed. And what other position impact a team success more than your QB?

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    I think the problem is people see the first round of the draft as only for players that can help a club NOW, and sometimes, there isn't TEN players that have the immediate skills to do that, much less 32.

I try to see the draft like people view the baseball draft, in that they are the potential stars of tomorrow, not right now! Even Clowney will need to learn a few things in OTAs and pre-season to have the maximum impact.

As such, QBs should be in the first round, because no one can be expected to help NOW, but the best future stars should be taken there and developed. And what other position impact a team success more than your QB?
    The top picks in the draft will get 4 year contracts in excess of $4M/yr. If you draft a player and have him sit for a year to develop, then you've allocated a lot of cap space for this purpose and you've lost a year off his contract.

Some player's may warrant this investment (esp. QB's), but I think this is what drives teams to draft instant impact players with the top picks.

Not necessarily looking at 10-15 year franchise careers that you really don't have any control over, but rather using the cap space to build the best roster possible during the periods of the active contracts.

Very true, and I think that is the best proof that contracts right out of college should not have minimums, no matter where you get drafted. At least it isn't as crazy as it used to be; it was really hard to watch a rookie under-perform because he already had his cash, and KNEW they would never cut him.

All in all though, the guaranteed money for QBs in the top 10 can be limited due to this. It's just not as big a problem as it used to be.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456