Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    If the Texans pass on Manziel, I would target the Jaguars and Rams about a trade up for a first and third this year and a possible third next year. I think we are going to move up.

Go Big or Go Home!

They said that Spielman and Zimmer are sticking around to have more time with Manziel. Another quote I saw from Zimmer was that they wanted to see what his personality was like to see what type of leader he would be.

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach

Manziel's Pro Day

Is he worth our #8 and #40? That would be the price I'd expect to have to pay for the Ram's pick if the texans don't take him. I know, I know, that isn't a "great" trade as far as the Rams are concerned based on the present draft calculators, but I DO think it might be the best deal the Rams will get for their #2.

We don't have the mojo to get to #1.

If we can't get to Manziel, I really don't see anyone who WILL be at #8 and we will be trading down. It will be a sick moment for me, because I've always wanted a QB like Manziel throwing for us. Yeah, he might be a bust, but THOSE are the chances I think the big boys take when they are available.

Today was a lot of fun for Manziel fans!
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

b_sandhar_29 is offline Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by b_sandhar_29 View Post
    The best players are the ones who have a burning desire to compete. When the lights come on and everyone is watching, their eyes sparkle. Johnny manziel is one of those guys. I want a guy like him leading us, and I'm willing to take a risk on him. Hopefully the staff is too.
    what do you give up to get him?

If the staff thinks he's the guy, then you pull a trade similar to the one the redskins pulled off for RGIII. Only because his ceiling is so much higher then all the other qbs. If we miss, then we'll be having this convo again. I personally like Carr, Manziel and bridgewater. Either I am fine with.
    None

tarkenton10 is online now Star Spokesman
    I say if we can't get Manziel or Bortles we go for Mettenberger in the third. He is a big kid with a strong arm and would be talked about with the big three if he didn't have trouble in college and a torn ACL. He can make all the throws and I like his pocket presence and his ability to lead his team.

If we pass on him I like McCarron in the fourth, not much of a gamble at this point and he played against the best in college. His arm isn't what you want in a QB but I don't think that is the biggest attribute you need in a QB. I just watched the 49ers beat Dallas in the "The Catch game" and Joe Cool did not impress me with his cannon arm.

Garoppolo in the third may not be a bad choice even though he will probably be gone by then and he isn't worth our second IMO, so we either move back into the second round and grab him or we take one of the other two later .

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

purpledoom is offline Starter
    "Supposedly" Zimmer made some comment about Manziel's pro day being a sideshow. If that's true it doesn't give me much hope of the Vikings drafting him. I've been on his bandwagon for some time now, I would love to see him in purple.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by b_sandhar_29 View Post
    If the staff thinks he's the guy, then you pull a trade similar to the one the redskins pulled off for RGIII. Only because his ceiling is so much higher then all the other qbs. If we miss, then we'll be having this convo again. I personally like Carr, Manziel and bridgewater. Either I am fine with.
    No fucking way do we give up 3 years worth of our First round pick and a 2nd!!! RG3 wasn't worth it and now the Redskins are fucked with a whole lot of holes landing them the 2nd worst record, and thus 2nd overall pick, only they don't get to make it, STL does. OUCH!! D'oh!!

I'd be against spending our first 2 picks this year to go get him and that value only adds up to in-between JAX at 3 and CLE at 4...but I could live with it if they really think he can consistently improve his mechanics, and on the field, under duress. But that is NOT what happened with Tebow. He looked vastly improved throwing in shorts, but then reverted right back to his old habits as soon as he hit live action.

And, you say you like Carr, Manziel and Bridgewater, well we're pretty much guaranteed that one of them will be there at 8, why not wait and keep those picks so we can fill our other holes as well!? Sure, the ceiling is high, but how low is the floor!? When things go wrong, how does that competitive attitude come out then? Ryan Leaf throwing his teammates under the bus? Or can he keep his pride in check, and say something like, 'its a team game, and we need to improve as a team...?'

Edit to add these links...I think its pretty freaking hard to argue that what the Skins got is helping them more than what the Rams got!

Rams got a haul in RG III trade - Stats & Info Blog - ESPN

2014 NFL Draft Trade Value Chart
    Last edited by mountainviking; 03-28-2014 at 09:44 AM.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    Man you guys are stoned. Send me some of that. Manziel is not our guy! Especially not at 8 and definitely not at 1. His stock is only where it is because many teams are desperate for a qb. I don't care what Tark says or anyone else, I'm standing pat with Manziel being a bust. A qb in this league must know how to read a defense and he must throw confidently from the pocket. PERIOD. Someone please explain how Manziel exhibits either of those attributes. We need to draft defense! I don't care who's at qb if we are giving up 30+ points a game. Build a defense, let Adrian do what he does, get a good young qb later in the draft. None of these qbs in this draft are legit first rounders. It's all based on the market. Not one is a franchise qb and we should not draft as if they are.

Quote Originally Posted by purplehelmut View Post
    Man you guys are stoned. Send me some of that. Manziel is not our guy! Especially not at 8 and definitely not at 1. His stock is only where it is because many teams are desperate for a qb. I don't care what Tark says or anyone else, I'm standing pat with Manziel being a bust. A qb in this league must know how to read a defense and he must throw confidently from the pocket. PERIOD. Someone please explain how Manziel exhibits either of those attributes. We need to draft defense! I don't care who's at qb if we are giving up 30+ points a game. Build a defense, let Adrian do what he does, get a good young qb later in the draft. None of these qbs in this draft are legit first rounders. It's all based on the market. Not one is a franchise qb and we should not draft as if they are.
    Manziel COULD be a bust. But he also could be much, much more. These decisions make or break teams for the next 10 years, so at this point, I don't think there is a "right" answer; only hind-sight will tell us that. If Manziel IS a future Tarkenton in a league that actually rewards a QB like that, we would be fools to pass on him. If he isn't, he is just like over half the QBs we have seen drafted recently... a bust, and we move on. As such, there is no way I would do a RGIII trade for him!!

If we decide there is the distinct possibility Manziel is the guy, I would limit the trade damage to our first 2 picks; I would vastly prefer just using our #8. We need defense to be sure, but there is no one position on defense that will solidify our team over the next long haul like getting the right QB will do for our team!! Defense you pick based on all 11 guys, since one weak link means a shitty defense.

But I think the ganja we are smoking involves the fact that very few teams get to the show without a true star QB. Great defenses take you to the door, but you NEED at least a Wilson type QB to pass through it. If our team believes, like I do, Manziel can and will be that guy for us for years to come, then we absolutely need to pull the trigger on him.

Ted Dibiase is offline Rookie
    If they intended to trade up to get a QB, I really don't think they would have re-signed Cassel. I think they will be happy if the right guy falls to #8 but have planned for that not to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Dibiase View Post
    If they intended to trade up to get a QB, I really don't think they would have re-signed Cassel. I think they will be happy if the right guy falls to #8 but have planned for that not to happen.
    They talked about this extensively yesterday on the NFL Network, and everyone seemed to agree NONE of the 4 top QBs is ready to start in the NFL. Any team that wants to avoid potentially overloading their shiny new QB really needs to have a veteran to at least start next year while the rookie is being groomed.

Bridgewater is the most "NFL ready", and his pro day kinda put that into doubt, so my guess is the teams who are QB needy will have to get a Cassel-type QB for next year regardless of who draft Manziel and the rest.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast