Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    erik5032 is offline Star Spokesman

Re: For many Vikings fans, passion began in 1998

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Fuck the 98ers.
    [size=1pt]that ought to get some panties in a bunch[/size]
    I disagree.
    I welcome all fans of the Purple into the fold.

The 98ers just need to realize they don't know shit.

=Z=
    A lot of us were to young! I mean i knew who the team was before, but i was to young to really care, i liked baseball. But then I remember that draft and thought how awesome Moss was, it was the first season i watched fully and have never missed a game since... So Floop you, you arrogant old bastards!

cunningham is offline Training Camp

Like I previously stated, I first became a fan in 97 and the tender age of 6. 98 is by far some of my greatest Viking memories. Randall Cunningham is STILL my all time favorite.

I remember crying for literally hours after the NFC Championship game. The worst part is that Chris Chandler and Jamal Anderson ended up doing NOTHING afterwards.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Where is all this hate coming from?
    I'm old, but realize that the younger fans are just as important as any other fan.
    We need the young fans to carry the torch, even though that torch has been blown out pre-maturaly over the years.

I was 37 in 1998, and that loss to Atlanta cost me a TV Set, not my own, but I had to replace my best friends ( Gary, who passed 8 years ago, God Bless his soul ) TV, after I put my foot thru the screen.

I started following the Vikings, on a serious note, around the age of 9.
    I've always loved the game of football, and it was usually by my Dads side, that I would watch games on the old black and white TV.
    Back then, I was stuck to watching Giants games with my Dad, and it was a treat to catch the Vikings on TV back then. Usually I only was able to watch the Vikings if they where actually playing the Giants, or it was a Nationaly televised game.
    I always read Sports Illustrated and looked in every paper I could, to find articals on the Vikings.
    I used to cut them out and keep them all in an album...Don't know what ever happened to that album, but it got lost over the years...Alot of my stuff disapered during the time I was away, serving in the military....

Todays media is a dream come true for older fans like me, but I also enjoy the younger fans and at times, I see myself in them, in the way they think and act......

To me, nothing comes closer to a true fan, than a Viking Fan......

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

erik5032 is offline Star Spokesman

"NordicNed" wrote:
    Where is all this hate coming from?
    I'm old, but realize that the younger fans are just as important as any other fan.
    We need the young fans to carry the torch, even though that torch has been blown out pre-maturaly over the years.

I was 37 in 1998, and that loss to Atlanta cost me a TV Set, not my own, but I had to replace my best friends ( Gary, who passed 8 years ago, God Bless his soul ) TV, after I put my foot thru the screen.

I started following the Vikings, on a serious note, around the age of 9.
    I've always loved the game of football, and it was usually by my Dads side, that I would watch games on the old black and white TV.
    Back then, I was stuck to watching Giants games with my Dad, and it was a treat to catch the Vikings on TV back then. Usually I only was able to watch the Vikings if they where actually playing the Giants, or it was a Nationaly televised game.
    I always read Sports Illustrated and looked in every paper I could, to find articals on the Vikings.
    I used to cut them out and keep them all in an album...Don't know what ever happened to that album, but it got lost over the years...Alot of my stuff disapered during the time I was away, serving in the military....

Todays media is a dream come true for older fans like me, but I also enjoy the younger fans and at times, I see myself in them, in the way they think and act......

To me, nothing comes closer to a true fan, than a Viking Fan......
    Brought a tear to my eye sir.... you are a great man!

majek21kg is offline Waterboy

I followed Moss from Marshall and became a viking fan ever since.

cunningham is offline Training Camp

I feel it should also be mentioned that a Vikings/Broncos Super Bowl that year would have been awesome. The most dynamic offense the NFL had ever seen against John Elway and the 2000 yard rushing Terrell Davis. Shit would have been epic.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

"erik5032" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Fuck the 98ers.
    [size=1pt]that ought to get some panties in a bunch[/size]
    I disagree.
    I welcome all fans of the Purple into the fold.

The 98ers just need to realize they don't know shit.

=Z=
    A lot of us were to young! I mean i knew who the team was before, but i was to young to really care, i liked baseball. But then I remember that draft and thought how awesome Moss was, it was the first season i watched fully and have never missed a game since... So Floop you, you arrogant old bastards!

No kidding

I've watched games since I can remember.. But watched every single game since 98

I know a fair share about Vikes.. I don't think it's fair to say some of the shit we hear because we were young

I bet most of the old fans didn't really watch Vikes til late teens.. But since they are older and have watched more years it must make them better or something

Elam529 is offline Rookie

I became a fan of the Vikes a year before, in that awesome playoff game no one talks about where we scored two TDs in the last two minutes thanks to Reed and Cunningham. I was only six when Anderson missed the field goal, but that still remains my most passionate moment as a fan.

HoosierVike is offline Starter

I was born and raised a Vikings fan...in Indiana.
    No one really understood why my Dad was a Vikings fan, but all of the older guys here know why.
    It was because of Fran, Chuck, the purple people eaters, and most importantly Bud Grant.
    Bud Grant fielded a team that may not have been as talented as everyone else, but they were sure as hell tougher.
    It was watchin them play at the Met...in the bitter cold, with snow falling down and piling up (and the Vikings not using heaters on their sideline.)
    For me dad always talked about them, so even being born in '88 and growing up in the '90s Fran the Man was one of my favorite players.
    My first memories as a Vikings fan were of Warren Moon slingin the ball around to Cris Carter and Jake Reed, Cris Carter is and always will be my favorite player.
    In '98 I remember being up by 13 and looking at dad saying "Were finally going to do it, were going back to the superbowl" my dad looked at me and smiled, and said "I have been a Vikings fan since '65, when that clock reads :00 and we are on top, then we'll talk"
    Well when that clock read :00 in overtime I cried and he just stared at the TV and shook his head.
    The last thing he said to me that day was "That is what it is all about, they build you up until you love them to death, just so they can break your heart, you better get used to it son, cuz you're stuck...I love my Vikings"
    I'm now 20 years old and I still havent grasped that concept...haha
    Young or Old we both want the same thing, so lets watch, hope, and pray today that our Vikings can get our first division title since 2000, and take it one game at a time from there...

SKOL VIKINGS!!

PurpleMafia is offline Coordinator

Well, I guess you could say that I have been a Vikings fan since 1990. That was the year I was born.
    ;D Like alot of you, I was lucky enough to be born into it. My Dad and I have been watching Vikings games for as long as I can remember, and I don't think I've missed more than 1 game a season for as long as I could walk and talk. Was I lucky enough to be around when the People People Eaters were tearing it up, or when Fran was our QB? No, I wasn't. Does that make me any less of a Vikings fan than some of you old timers? Absolutely not. This is not a competition guys. What gives you the right to say that you are more of a fan than someone younger than you because you have been watching longer, or you have been alive longer? I'm sorry that I don't have grey hair, and I'm sorry that I didn't get to watch Bud Grant coach the Vikings, and I'm sorry that I wasn't alive before there was a Super Bowl. If that makes you feel better about yourself, than good for you. No, really...good FOR you. As far as the 98ers go, I think that's great. You were inspired by a great time in the teams history, and we gained some lifetime loyal fans because of it! Anyone that can say "floop the kids that started watching in 1998" or "floop these fans that started a little late" is not a true fan at all. That's horrible. Is this not supposed to be a big family? I have lost a lot of respect for some people in this thread because of some things said. I would like to give major props to Ned. He was there from day 1 with some of you guys. Yet he knows what it's like to be a real Vikings fan. He embraces new members to this great family. We all need to just come together and embrace the fact that we are loyal fans to an awesome team and organization. We are here through the good, and through the bad. We experience all of this together. Just remember that its one big family, and we are all equal as the fans with Purple Pride!
    Retired 12/21/08

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast