Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Making the case for Childress

The crabby Minnesota Vikings fan is officially back in action with 1 game to go in the season and rightfully so. Vikings fans at this time of year are generally angry at the administration, always the easy scapegoat, and are especially fumed about the job that head coach Brad Childress is doing with this football team. At this point in the season, after the release of Marcus Robinson that left fans bewildered, Childress can’t do much right.

You can’t blame Zygi Wilf. The fact of the matter is that Wilf made the correct hire in getting Childress. The organization desperately needed a disciplinarian after the love boat scandal and ticket scalping fiasco and got one in Childress. Childress let most everyone know that he was going to be in control from the start creating the famed “triangle of authority” that eventually became the line of authority with the departure of Fran Foley.

So here, I’m doing it. I’m making the case for Childress succeeding next season.

There is a general misconception in the Viking fan community that Childress is a bad talent evaluator and does not go after big name free agents. I don’t understand that argument at all. I feel that most of the fans are frustrated and don’t trust Childress, but top tier signings of Chester Taylor, Steve Hutchinson, Ben Leber, and Tony Richardson, and some decent players brought in like Dwight Smith lead me to the conclusion that Childress is willing to spend money on top tier free agents if given the go-ahead by Wilf. Not to mention that Childress had a solid draft with picks of rookie stud cornerback Cedric Griffin and heir-apparent Tarvaris Jackson and players who have yet to prove themselves in Chad Greenway, Ryan Cook, Charles Gordon and Greg Blue. The Vikings have the cap space and have the holes to fill. Who’s to say that they won’t hit the Free Agent market just as hard this year?

Childress is still learning. Yes, an offense should not be that anemic and a wide receiving corps should not be that downright pathetic but I’ll have to give him a pass as far as the coaching of the total offense go in his first head coaching stint. He made a great hire in Mike Tomlin and teamed with Tomlin to create one of the best run stopping defenses ever. Clearly the offensive playcalling duties didn’t work out for Brad Childress and the offense should get better once a real offensive coordinator takes over playcalling duties.

Another odd thing that I have noticed is most Viking fans crediting Mike Tomlin as being gods gift to mankind for having the #1 rush defense in the NFL and at the same time leaving Childress as a side note in that process. Now as soon as I mention Childress being partly responsible for the good defense, some begin to mention that the pass defense is 32nd in the NFL. Why the man love for Tomlin and the downright hatred for Childress?

I really don’t think a lot of fans are giving Childress a fair hand, mostly because the fans expected a lot more out of a team that was not all that talented. A 38 year old starting quarterback with 5 #4 receivers and a terrible right side of the offensive line? A recipe for disaster.

People have made their mind up about Childress and now he can’t do anything right in their mind. He has made mistakes but rookie coaches make mistakes just like rookie players will. This was a rebuilding year and there’s no denying it. We’ll see how this offseason shakes out but there is a good chance that we will be picking top 10 and will hit the free agent market hard just like last year. Childress was a hero when he took over this summer. Now he’s a villain. It was the same way with Tice over the past few years. We have half of the pieces (mostly on defense) and we have a great opportunity to get some playmakers this offseason. Let’s have some cautious optimism going into the offseason and see how things shake out.

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Making the case for Childress

Wow PPE, you should publish that.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

Mikecarter81 is offline Coordinator

One of the best posts I've read in a long time.
    It was fair and well thought out.
    I agree its to early to tell how Childress will do the people he brought in have worked out
    C Taylor has been great,
    Hutch lived up to the expectation,
    Leber looks good.
    Also the draft will take time to fully evaluate, but right now it looks promising

I do have a problem with the play calling and wonder if its that or player personal.
    I think this will be decided as well as it takes on more of Childress look opposed to a Tice look.

Mike
    I am an avid Viking fan, but also am an avid restoration guy of vintage Mopar(Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth)B bodies

Purplemania is offline Asst. Coach

It's just basic fundamentals of football glory. You win, you are the best. You lose, you are the suck. Rookie or not some fans just don't have the patience and skills needed to see through to the bigger picture.

I think more then anything fans are mad at Childress for thinking he can control so much power and still be effective. Not a good thing if you're a rookie head coach. What I'm talking about is that never once did Childress let Bevel just take over the calls. Stubborness I suppose. Or maybe it was how he was taught because Andy Reid was the same way. Regardless this offseason I still don't think we will be trying to get a top notch OC, and even if we do Childress will be hardpress to give the playcalling away.
    Because I'm a Vikings fan, they are that much sexier.

patistheman is offline Starter

First of all this was not a rebuilding year!
    Yeah he brought in new systems that the players have to learn, but hey so did Mangini and Payton, so dont use the excuse that it takes time to learn the system.
    What do you guys really think we have in Childress?
    He was the offensive coordinator for 4 years in Phili.
    I could not find the stats from his first year but in 2003 his offense was 18th, 2004 9th (the TO year), and last year 19th.
    This year when he is gone and after losing McNabb they came into today with the #1 offense in the NFL.
    And now this year our offense did gain more yards a game with our defense playing much better and giving up less points, but the offense scored less than last year and not enough to win with our better defense.
    Now some of you will argue that we lost KROB our "big playmaker" from last year.
    Well i got news for you, he only accounted for 28 catches and ONE TD last year, ONE.
    Yes he was a good KR but he only had one there too.
    Childress was brought in for dicipline also.
    Has that really happend, are we more diciplined?
    No we did not have a love boat incedent, but KROB got his DUI and release, Smith was caught doing the naughty in an alley, and a COACH was picked up for a DUI, so while we did not have the big one we did have more, not to mention smoots accident last week.

Childress made the additions you mentioned to the team that finished 9-7 last year, and only lost Chavous, who was replaced by Smith and won three less games.
    He has now done something Tice never did and that is regress more than one game from the year before, and has the same number of losing seasons as Tice.
    Remember Tice improved the record of the team every year, except one in which he did make the playoffs and won a playoff game in Green Bay, after inheriting a 5-11 team compared to the 9-7 team Childress inherited.
    He also had an owner who gave him the green light to bring in his own staff and players.
    Tice could not go after people like tomlin and sign people such as Hutch and Taylor under owner Red McCombs.
    Also when you talk about who is responsible for our good Run D I think Tice should get the first look.
    He drafted KWill and signed PWill.
    Childress has nothing to do with the Run D that all goes to Tomlin and the Defensive coaches for the people who remain on the staff.

Do I want Childress to fail?
    No, I am a Vikings fan and I hope he gets his stuff together and is good.
    However i do not see how you guys can stick up for the man so much.
    I beleive with Tice as our coach this year we would have had at least a home playoff game worst case scenario.

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

Childress stated this team will be a "Disciplined" team, but yet:

1)
    We are the most penalized team in the league.
    2)
    We are still missing tackles far too often on "D".
    3)
    Our special teams stunk on covering kicks.
    4)
    The right side of our "O" line is swiss cheese when it comes to pass blocking.

Not a Disciplined team, place blame solely on the Head coach ... no case to be made for him.

The locker room is in shambles and this is also because of CHilli's attitude of my way or the highway ... he lost this team this season IMO, and will have ALOT of work to do before he gets it back.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"patistheman" wrote:
    Do I want Childress to fail?
    No, I am a Vikings fan and I hope he gets his stuff together and is good.
    However i do not see how you guys can stick up for the man so much.
    I beleive with Tice as our coach this year we would have had at least a home playoff game worst case scenario.
    I could say that I agree, it would hurt a lot though.

But, you can't realy compare them.
    Personel choices are different.
    Also, doing the same (Tice), without change (BC and the WCO) may not have been the long term best decision.
    You have to ride out the storm.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"mnjamie" wrote:
    Childress stated this team will be a "Disciplined" team, but yet:

1)
    We are the most penalized team in the league.
    2)
    We are still missing tackles far too often on "D".
    3)
    Our special teams stunk on covering kicks.
    4)
    The right side of our "O" line is swiss cheese when it comes to pass blocking.

Not a Disciplined team, place blame solely on the Head coach ... no case to be made for him.

The locker room is in shambles and this is also because of CHilli's attitude of my way or the highway ... he lost this team this season IMO, and will have ALOT of work to do before he gets it back.
    So are you trying to say he made Daunte sour about being a Viking.

OK, I am trying to put words in your mouth.

About 1 through 4, we were pretty close to that last year too.
    We had a lot of sucky areas.
    Maybe it is players on the field.
    I know BC had a chance to bring in some new players, but there are still a lot of playersout there that are leftovers??

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I agree with you for the most part PPE. I just wish his playcalling would straighten out.

I watched that abomination in person today, and I think it's worse in person than it is on the TV. This year was such a disappointment. Changes need to be made. I just hope Childress makes them.

patistheman is offline Starter

But, you can't realy compare them.
    Personel choices are different.
    Also, doing the same (Tice), without change (BC and the WCO) may not have been the long term best decision.
    You have to ride out the storm.
    Why do people say you can't compare them, yes you can, coaches can always be compared by the success of their teams, and how their teams look.
    Another thing, the team never looks fired up during games unless we get a big play by somebody on the defense, and look how many players have spoken against some of the things going on, yeah we heard what Matt Birk said today from Boseli, but if he said anything else his @$$ would be cut.

And on the WCO part,
    it is a great system when run propperly, but we cannot seem to do that, and he needs to do much improvement on that for next year.

Somebody also mentioned alot of the players are leftovers.
    Remeber those are the same leftovers that took us to 9-7, yes it is a different system, but did the WRs we have fit Tice's system last year?
    Did BJ?
    No, his system before was Culpepper deep to Moss.
    But he made it work with what he had left.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast