40 WR MIKE EVANS
    TEXAS A&M
    72 ILB CHRIS BORLAND
    WISCONSIN
    96 G CYRIL RICHARDSON
    BAYLOR
    108 TE C.J. FIEDOROWICZ
    IOWA

What The Fu....!?? Optimum scouting's list must be a lot different than most! This is crazy!

I had not seen Bortles available at 8 for a long, long time. But Evans in the 2nd just isn't going to happen...I doubt the big man from Baylor lasts til the end of the third either. But WOW would this be one hell of a draft!?! Bortles fits Turner's offense, Evans catches everything in his area code, Borland would be a great run stuffer at ILB at the very least, the behemoth from Baylor would certainly improve our run blocking and so would the TE from Iowa who also has good hands as a large redzone target. Something like this might put us on the way to being a top five or ten offense in a hurry!

I know, I want more defense too, but as unlikely as these specific picks are to be there, coaches do have a tendency to draft toward their weakness and count on themselves to coach up their side of the ball...just sayin...
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by gamecocksbaseball31 View Post
    You're completely right that they have JJ Watt, which is exactly why they will take Clowney. Those two together would be disastrous for teams.

In a league where 60% of the plays are passing plays, having two iconic defensive ends is stellar.

Not to mention, the talk is he will also be working at OLB and rushing from a stand-up position at some points.
    I stand by what I said; if a team offers the Texans their 1st and 2nd, and next year's 1st they WILL trade the first pick- but only because JJ Watts is already signed. I cannot think of another player in this draft that would tempt a team to trade away the farm besides Clowney though.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    I stand by what I said; if a team offers the Texans their 1st and 2nd, and next year's 1st they WILL trade the first pick- but only because JJ Watts is already signed. I cannot think of another player in this draft that would tempt a team to trade away the farm besides Clowney though.
    You are entitled to your opinion... It would have to be a team in the top 10 and the only one that would be close to doing that is Atlanta. I don't think it happens and I think Houston takes Clowney.

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by gamecocksbaseball31 View Post
    You are entitled to your opinion... It would have to be a team in the top 10 and the only one that would be close to doing that is Atlanta. I don't think it happens and I think Houston takes Clowney.
    Perhaps our disconnect is you do not understand what I am saying. Let me bold out the part I think you are missing:

ANY team could make this offer, not the top 10; and if someone is going to do that, the Texans would be fools not to accept it. My only caveat was whether there was a team or teams that are willing to make that stupid of a trade. The Vikings, Redskins and Raiders have in the past, so who knows?
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Make your own mock draft as GM of the Vikings

If the trading team is picking 32nd, it might not be much of a deal for the Texans to trade the picks as you indicate.

gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    If the trading team is picking 32nd, it might not be much of a deal for the Texans to trade the picks as you indicate.
    Exactly. Perhaps you don't understand what you are saying. The Texans aren't going to trade back to 32 and give up #1 overall. For the value to be there it would have to be in the top 10.

WITH THAT BEING SAID, the ONLY team I can see that is in that much of need at DE is Atlanta.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    8 - WR SAMMY WATKINS, CLEMSON
    40 - ILB C.J. MOSLEY, ALABAMA
    72 - TE AUSTIN SEFERIAN-JENKINS, WASHINGTON
    96 - QB JIMMY GAROPPOLO, EASTERN ILLINOIS
    108 - CB LOUCHEIZ PURIFOY, FLORIDA

If this is what the first 4 rounds look like a month from today, I'd be a happy camper.

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer
    I made a ton of bad drafts before I finally had one I liked. Wanted a blue chipper at #8 and wanted to wait to take Garoppolo in the early 3rd, but he kept getting picked right before our pick. Finally decided if I wanted to go that route, would have to spend #40 on him. Only drafted four rounds, using the Walter big board:

#8 - OLB Khalil Mack
    #40 - QB Jimmy Garoppolo
    #72 - CB Keith McGill
    #96 - RB Lache Seastrunk
    #104 - DE Kareem Martin

In this mock, hated passing on DE Stephon Tuitt who fell to me at #72, but I wanted a tall rangy CB (preferably McGill but could have gone with Jean-Baptiste), but the latter was already off the board and McGill always seemed to get picked before #96 (which is actually his rank on the Walter board).
    SKOL VIKINGS!

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    DOH!!

I just ran the simulator, and these were the top 8 picks:
    1 QB BLAKE BORTLES
    HOUSTON TEXANS
    2 OT JAKE MATTHEWS
    ST. LOUIS RAMS
    3 OLB ANTHONY BARR
    JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
    4 WR SAMMY WATKINS
    CLEVELAND BROWNS
    5 OLB KHALIL MACK
    OAKLAND RAIDERS
    6 DE JADEVEON CLOWNEY
    ATLANTA FALCONS
    7 OLB DEE FORD
    TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

Now, I think Clowney will go #1, but I could see TB taking Bortles and the Falcons taking another OT, which makes this draft relevant. If the Vikings are in this situation, I either expect then to trade back or take Manziel.

Anyone disagree?
    Sure. Why wouldn't the Vikings want Bridgewater instead of the "full of flags" Manziel? And in either case, if they could trade back, why wouldn't they? After #8, no one is going to be looking at QB again before Cleveland at #26.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

vikesrgreat2 is offline Starter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    I vote for you as the next Vikings GM !
    Seconded!

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast