ILB CHRISTIAN JONES
    FLORIDA STATE

R3
    QB A.J. MCCARRON
    ALABAMA

R4
    RB BISHOP SANKEY
    WASHINGTON
    I read somewhere that if Clowney is there at 8, all bets are off for anyone else because Zimmer is all in on Clowney. Our coach is a true believer on that guy, so even if Watkins, Manziel and Bortles are still on the board, expect Zimmer/Spielman to draft him over those guys.

What I would love to see is who our coaches like in a perfect draft (I KNOW, I will not get to see it!!). Are we committed to getting defense? Trading down for more picks? Taking Bortles or Manziel if they are there? I personally have heard ALL these tactics as if it was a no brainer, THIS is what will happen!

In the end, who knows...
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

Ted Dibiase is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    I read somewhere that if Clowney is there at 8, all bets are off for anyone else because Zimmer is all in on Clowney. Our coach is a true believer on that guy, so even if Watkins, Manziel and Bortles are still on the board, expect Zimmer/Spielman to draft him over those guys.

What I would love to see is who our coaches like in a perfect draft (I KNOW, I will not get to see it!!). Are we committed to getting defense? Trading down for more picks? Taking Bortles or Manziel if they are there? I personally have heard ALL these tactics as if it was a no brainer, THIS is what will happen!

In the end, who knows...
    Slipping to #8 just seems really far out there. I'll be floored if he somehow gets past the Jags at #3. Let's go with this though....Do you think we'd trade up if he somehow slipped to, say, #5? Then if that were to happen, do we switch to 3-4? Seems to me the personnel would warrant the switch.

gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Dibiase View Post
    Slipping to #8 just seems really far out there. I'll be floored if he somehow gets past the Jags at #3. Let's go with this though....Do you think we'd trade up if he somehow slipped to, say, #5? Then if that were to happen, do we switch to 3-4? Seems to me the personnel would warrant the switch.
    After his pro day, Clowney is hands down #1 overall. He's going to Houston, no questions about it. The Texans basically ran his pro day with Romeo Crennell talking to him between every set.

Plus, Bill O'Brien was the only coach/GM/owner in the room with the hundreds of reporters during his press conference.

Just ran this mock - To give a heads up of what went before #8, All 4 QB's including Carr went off the board, as well as Mack, Clowney, and Barr.

1. Sammy Watkins WR
    2. CJ Mosley OLB (this is entirely possible, he is being talked about as having a massive slide)
    3. Stanley Jean-Babtiste CB
    3. AJ McCarron QB
    4. Kelcy Quarles DT
    5. D'Anthony Thomas RB
    6. Ryan Groy G
    7. Connor Shaw QB

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by gamecocksbaseball31 View Post
    After his pro day, Clowney is hands down #1 overall. He's going to Houston, no questions about it. The Texans basically ran his pro day with Romeo Crennell talking to him between every set.

Plus, Bill O'Brien was the only coach/GM/owner in the room with the hundreds of reporters during his press conference.
    They have JJ Watt, so if another team does a Redskins and offers up their future for him, the Texans WILL bite.

The Vikings and the Raiders both have all their draft picks to trade, so there are 2 dumb teams that might do something like that; I hope Zimmer and Spielman are smarter than those decision-makers in our past.

Clowney is a once in a generation player, BUT he is still just one defensive component. But I agree, I will be SHOCKED if he doesn't go #1.

Just ran this mock - To give a heads up of what went before #8, All 4 QB's including Carr went off the board, as well as Mack, Clowney, and Barr.

1. Sammy Watkins WR
    2. CJ Mosley OLB (this is entirely possible, he is being talked about as having a massive slide)
    3. AJ McCarron QB
    4. Kelcy Quarles DT
    5. D'Anthony Thomas RB
    6. Ryan Groy G
    7. Connor Shaw QB
    I think Quarles was with Clowney on their pro day, and Clowney made him look small. There is no way in hell Quarles goes before him.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Make your own mock draft as GM of the Vikings

Pretty sure those are rounds for Vikings picks in his mock and not overall picks.

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Pretty sure those are rounds for Vikings picks in his mock and not overall picks.
    DOH!!

You are right, I apologize. AJ McCarron should have tipped me off, I didn't even SEE his name when I first read the post. I just got excited that I knew who Quarles was, defensive players are not my forte.

I just ran the simulator, and these were the top 8 picks:
    1 QB BLAKE BORTLES
    HOUSTON TEXANS
    2 OT JAKE MATTHEWS
    ST. LOUIS RAMS
    3 OLB ANTHONY BARR
    JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
    4 WR SAMMY WATKINS
    CLEVELAND BROWNS
    5 OLB KHALIL MACK
    OAKLAND RAIDERS
    6 DE JADEVEON CLOWNEY
    ATLANTA FALCONS
    7 OLB DEE FORD
    TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

Now, I think Clowney will go #1, but I could see TB taking Bortles and the Falcons taking another OT, which makes this draft relevant. If the Vikings are in this situation, I either expect then to trade back or take Manziel.

Anyone disagree?
    Last edited by drewlovs; 04-02-2014 at 03:47 PM.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

1. Sammy Watkins WR
    3. AJ McCarron QB
    4. Kelcy Quarles DT
    5. D'Anthony Thomas RB
    6. Ryan Groy G
    7. Connor Shaw QB
    Wow. That would be SICK! Probably too good to be true, but adding a game breaking playmaker like Watkins, a "QB of the defense" at MLB, a large CB to help cover the plethora of huge WRs in our division, and then still landing a QB with a history of winning who leaves our focus firmly on Peterson's shoulders sounds perfect to me!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    They have JJ Watt, so if another team does a Redskins and offers up their future for him, the Texans WILL bite.

The Vikings and the Raiders both have all their draft picks to trade, so there are 2 dumb teams that might do something like that; I hope Zimmer and Spielman are smarter than those decision-makers in our past.

Clowney is a once in a generation player, BUT he is still just one defensive component. But I agree, I will be SHOCKED if he doesn't go #1.
    You're completely right that they have JJ Watt, which is exactly why they will take Clowney. Those two together would be disastrous for teams.

In a league where 60% of the plays are passing plays, having two iconic defensive ends is stellar.

Not to mention, the talk is he will also be working at OLB and rushing from a stand-up position at some points.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast