Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 184
  1. #61
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    I thought last year was a make or break year for Ponder...
    I hear ya.....

    This type of drivel is what makes me worry about the fan base old friend. Its like no one that is a Vikings fan understands what the heck it takes to develop a QB.

    If he doesn't run out there from day one and perform at a HOF level they want his butt gone. I blame the yutz sports hacks who also don't have a clue.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  2. #62
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    I don't think anyone in the organization said last year was make or break for Ponder. That talk was among fans and talk show hosts. I still have faith that Ponder will become an excellent QB. That said, for me this year is the determining year. If he does not step it up this year, I will be joining all of you. I just hope for our organization that he does indeed come through. Hate to start over again.
    No one in the FO is saying this is a make or break year either. This is just one of the lame cliche's spewed forth by those that don't have a clue and supported by the ones that buy into this type of crap.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  3. #63
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    No one in the FO is saying this is a make or break year either. This is just one of the lame cliche's spewed forth by those that don't have a clue and supported by the ones that buy into this type of crap.
    Do you really believe the FO would ever say this is a make or break year for their QB?

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  4. #64
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916
    Quote Originally Posted by RK. View Post
    If you lose fan support in MN your done. Just ask Childress.
    And Denny Green and any other person our Yutz fan base gets a bur under their saddle for.

    Thats why this organization will never get to what most of us want it to get to. Our Owner caves to fan pressure as if the fans know whats best for the team.

    So sad, so very very sad.

    Back to young Ponder.......Facts....

    1. He was drafted as a development.
    2. He is under development.
    3. He improved from year one to year two.
    4. Starting out last year, when he was leading the league in reception percentage and INT percentage he wasn't garbage.
    5. His arm isn't as weak as some want you to think.
    Christian Ponder 2012/-2013 Highlights HD - YouTube
    6. Open your eyes and watch some of those things. He does throw the ball past the LOS (Singer) and in several instances he throws it quite far off his back foot for goodness sake.
    7. When he has good protection he has good mechanics. That is something that rings true with all QB's. ALL OF THEM.
    8. When he uses good mechanics he can make any throw.

    Ponder will show progress this year. Anyone with half a brain can see the kid isn't crap, but he will also regress at times this year. ITS WHAT HAPPENS people. ITS NORMAL for a developing QB to struggle at times while he develops.

    In the end we went 10-6 with him under center and for the first 7 games or so, it was without AD being AD. And the most important tale of the tape (for those that said AD carried this team), AD didn't do shit when Webb was under center.

    Was AD's role significant? Hell yes, but it wasn't enough without Ponder under Center or he would have carried us past the playoffs.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  5. #65
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    Top shelf my friend. Top shelf indeed.

  6. #66
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post

    Back to young Ponder.......Facts....

    1. He was drafted as a development.
    He was drafted #12 overall to be our franchise QB after a stop gap year with McNabb

    Starting out last year, when he was leading the league in reception percentage and INT percentage he wasn't garbage.
    He had a high completion % & a low INT rate because the average his passes were traveling was just over 5 yards!

    5. His arm isn't as weak as some want you to think.
    Christian Ponder 2012/-2013 Highlights HD - YouTube
    6. Open your eyes and watch some of those things. He does throw the ball past the LOS (Singer) and in several instances he throws it quite far off his back foot for goodness sake.
    No one ever said he can't throw far, everyone knows he can. What was said is he isn't very accurate beyond 10 yards with any type of consistency & a lot of his deep passes tend to float.

    If it's the same video you posted on FB, it's called a highlight video for a reason. It's only going to show you his top plays for last year. What you have are his 16-17 good throws out of the 483 he threw (3-4%) and some of even those were ill advised throws. Your problem is you look at those highlight reels & believe he can make those throws all day long if Musgrove would only call them.

    In the end we went 10-6 with him under center and for the first 7 games or so, it was without AD being AD.
    In the first 7 games Ponder threw just as many TD's & INT's & won as many games as he did in the last 9, so are you saying he regressed?

    And the most important tale of the tape (for those that said AD carried this team), AD didn't do shit when Webb was under center.

    Was AD's role significant? Hell yes, but it wasn't enough without Ponder under Center or he would have carried us past the playoffs.
    AD's 99 yards in the playoff game had everything to do with GB finding a way to shut him down. It had nothing to do with who was handing him the rock.

    You have no idea how Ponder would have played in that playoff game. He could have easily floundered just like Webb did.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  7. #67
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    I thought he was drafted during the stop gap year with McNabb. I could swear that he replaced mcChunky ( I still love it) at some point that season. Then again my memory isn't what it used to be.

  8. #68
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I thought he was drafted during the stop gap year with McNabb. I could swear that he replaced mcChunky ( I still love it) at some point that season. Then again my memory isn't what it used to be.
    He was drafted the same year we signed McNabb, thus my comment. Ponder got the start because McNabb sucked.

    However, I don't recall you stating that McNabb needed more time due to no off-season minicamps, a shortened training camp, no time to learn our system & playbook, no time to get in sync with our receivers & that we had a poor O-Line who hadn't played long enough together & a lackluster WR corp who dropped passes.
    Last edited by singersp; 05-06-2013 at 08:12 AM.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  9. #69
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    He was drafted the same year we signed McNabb, thus my comment. Ponder got the start because McNabb sucked.
    OK. I see how you phrased it now.

    However, I don't recall you stating that McNabb needed more time due to no off-season minicamps, a shortened training camp, no time to learn our system & playbook, no time to get in sync with our receivers & that we had a poor O-Line who hadn't played long enough together & a lackluster WR corp who dropped passes.
    Why would I when all the McChunky ball lickers were saying he would step right in and play like brett did because he knew Chilly and knew the system like the back of his hand? He already knew the playbook because he had it in Philly, the Ol was as good as he had in Philly and ne never had decent WR's sans TO in his career.

  10. #70
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    He was drafted #12 overall to be our franchise QB after a stop gap year with McNabb
    Doesn't matter were he was drafted by the team. He was projected as a 2 or 3 year project.

    Don't try to mix in what the FO pukes do with reality.

    By the way, sitting on the bench behind McNabb for one year could have been 2 years if he wouldn't have stunk up the joint so bad. Instead, the staff elected to develop the kid on the field in front of yutz fans who don't have the patience for that.

    I've repeatedly stated that when teams do that, especially when they have weak fan bases, they screw the pooch.

    He had a high completion % & a low INT rate because the average his passes were traveling was just over 5 yards!
    You did see how many of those passes were during that time frame right? You also looked at how many of them were past your benchmark of 5 yards right?

    Look, I get that he threw alot of short passes but if you would take 5 minutes and quit hating on the kid, you would understand that it was by design, mostly to get him rolling and mostly because thats the only reliable target he had to throw to.

    What is so wrong with that? We won when he was doing it, without AD by the way.


    No one ever said he can't throw far, everyone knows he can. What was said is he isn't very accurate beyond 10 yards with any type of consistency & a lot of his deep passes tend to float.
    Tend to float? Show me a floater on video. I can show you some that were long. Doesn't mean they float, it means he either threw it to far or the WR didn't get to the spot.

    If it's the same video you posted on FB, it's called a highlight video for a reason. It's only going to show you his top plays for last year. What you have are his 16-17 good throws out of the 483 he threw (3-4%) and some of even those were ill advised throws.
    But it is proof that he can do that which you say he can't. It is proof that he can, and has, progressed.

    Your problem is you look at those highlight reels & believe he can make those throws all day long if Musgrove would only call them.
    And why couldn't he? Explain to me why he can make them but then again he can't? Because he doesn't complete on every time?

    Here is some food for thought.....

    Pass Thrown 41+ yds Ponder 2 of 3, Brady 0 of 6. Hmmmmm, Brady is crap.
    Pass Thrown 31-40 yds Ponder 0 of 8, Brady 6 of 15. Hmmmmm, Ponder is crap.
    Pass Thrown 21-30 yds Ponder 5 of 23, Brady 16 of 47. Hmmmmm, Ponder is crap.
    Pass Thrown 11-20 yds Ponder 44 of 95, Brady 54 of 124. Hmmmmm, Brady is crap.
    Pass Thrown 1-10 yds Ponder 153 of 233, Brady 251 of 345. Hmmmmm, Brady is crap.
    Tom Brady Stats, Splits - New England Patriots - ESPN

    Just kidding on the "Is Crap" ranking. It just shows that Ponder, compared to one of the greats really isn't as far off in those areas as you want to contend. And more importantly, it shows that he wasn't asked to make throws in that area last year.

    I get that you want him to throw it deeper, but when you look at a scheme like ours, ran by a much better QB, the deep requirements just aren't there. So if you want to see alot of deep balls, go watch the Chargers or something.

    In the first 7 games Ponder threw just as many TD's & INT's & won as many games as he did in the last 9, so are you saying he regressed?
    WHAT? How can you get regressed from something on the surface looks like "stayed the same"?

    Spin it how you will, but the truth of the matter is, we won games with him under center when AD wasn't AD. He looked good when the staff asked him to play at the level he was ready to play at.

    When they started to ask more, he goofed a bit, but eventually got it under control. I would call that progress.


    AD's 99 yards in the playoff game had everything to do with GB finding a way to shut him down. It had nothing to do with who was handing him the rock.
    They did nothing different from the first game, second game or the third game. Nothing. The only thing that changed was they did not have to defend the pass. In the other games, when they elected to do that, Ponder completed passes especially in the second game....

    Passing 1rst down....13/Running 1rst downs 10
    Yards per play passing.....6.7 (funny thing on that one, Rodgers had less - 6.6)
    Yards per play running.....5.9

    Green Bay Packers vs. Minnesota Vikings - Box Score - December 30, 2012 - ESPN

    You can knit pick it all you want, he had his moments last year, both good and bad. Because you have it in your head that he can't throw deep balls (even though I've given you stat after stat that his averages are about the league norm for teams that run our style of offense).

    You have no idea how Ponder would have played in that playoff game. He could have easily floundered just like Webb did.
    Your right, I don't. But I can compare what he did the game before that one (as I did above) and can guess that it wouldn't have been as bad as what Webb did.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •