Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Make-or-Break Year for Christian Ponder

I agree and I also question his decision making under pressure.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Christian Ponder has 'to be the guy,' Jared Allen says

"I tell him all the time, you have to be the guy." Allen told "The Jim Rome Show" Thursday, via the St. Paul Pioneer Press. "Adrian (Peterson) can carry this team so far; our defense can carry this team so far. ... You know, you look at teams that historically win championships, and they have consistent play from the quarterback position."
    Christian Ponder has 'to be the guy,' Jared Allen says - NFL.com

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    The two stats that have proven the best indicator of quarterback value are YPA and the TD/Int ratio. While I also figure in completion percentage, the two former stats are primary because completion percentage can be artificially elevated by the WCO and other short passing schemes.

Ponder was second worst in the NFL last season with a 6.08 YPA. His 18/12 TD/Int ratio was not bad for a second year quarterback. His completion percentage was 62.1 which is not bad either.

Could this be a make or break year for Ponder? Perhaps, but it may take longer or he may just fizzle out. That is how it works with quarterbacks.

Ponder certainly has better stats than Drew Brees or Eli Manning at the same point in their careers, and they turned out pretty well. The third year as a starter was the breakout year for Brees, while Eli did not really breakout until the playoffs at the end of his fourth season, and his stats have never been top 5 or even top 10 in the NFL during the regular season.

We have seen Russel Wilson and Robert Griffin III come out of the gate like gamebusters, but that is not the norm. Most of the top QB's in the NFL had mediocre success in their first few seasons. Of course, so have most of the leagues worst quarterbacks; they just did not get any better.

I was a defender of Ponder early on. There were lofty expectations from a quarterback drafted in the first round. He was supposed to be the most NFL ready quarterback in the draft, we were told, but I did not buy that line. Ponder would have to tough it through like most other quarterbacks before him.

Having a high completion percentage was a plus. Having a pretty good TD/Int ratio this season was a plus. What bothered me was Ponder's lack of consistency when hitting moving targets or throwing on-target on passes more than ten yards downfield. Inexperienced quarterbacks usually try to overpower the ball into all passes and must learn to have touch on short passes. Ponder has the opposite problem; he tries to put touch on all of his passes - even deep balls. Ponder has neither shown great arm strength nor great field vision. Looking at his highlights from last season, he often threw to a double covered or tight covered man when another receiver was single covered or wide open respectively. On one particular play, Ponder threw the ball into a well covered Kyle Rudolph when Adrian Peterson was wide open, without a defender on him at all, just a few yards to Rudolph's left.

In order to improve, Ponder needs to make the 10-20 yard throws on target and on time. He needs to go to the third or fourth receiver on his progression if need be, and he needs to be able to step up in the pocket or short roll while doing so. Ponder needs to be able to recognize when a receiver will be open and anticipate when the receiver will be open. Ponder often waits for a player to be open before releasing the football, and that is often too late. In the NFL, defenders look in and recover too quickly for a quarterback to delay. This is one of the skills that an NFL quarterback must learn, and it is one of the most difficult skills to master.

The Vikings have shown what having a great quarterback can do for a team. When Brett Farve joined the Vikings, he almost single handedly gave the Vikings wins they should have lost and a playoff run that was arguably one penalty away from a Superbowl. It will take time for Ponder to become the veteran that Favre, Brees, Brady, or Peyton are, but first, Ponder has to show that he has the tools to get there. At this point, I have my doubts, but we shall see.
    Last edited by Minniman; 05-04-2013 at 06:12 AM.

Blog Entries

He may have been the most nfl ready QB in that draft when you look at how Gabbert and Locker are performing. Newton had a great rookie year but seems to be regressing and I am not convinced he will be successful long term. Probably could have traded back and got Dalton though.

Blog Entries

In the end whether he pans out or not I appreciate the front office committing a first round pick to get one and don't feel we would be any better off if we would have burned picks to move up and get anyone drafted higher than him in that class.

Obviously if we would have lost to Washington 2 years ago we may have been in "luck" but we didn't.

I suspect after watching Spielman develop as a GM that if Ponder looks the same this year as he did last year with no development that the position will be addressed next year again.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Too many jobs are on the line at any given time in the NFL to float through life with a quarterback who takes you halfway there.

If Ponder fails in his third year, if he falls short of blooming into "the guy," his unchallenged run with the Vikings rapidly will come to a close.
    2014 draft: Johnny Football.............just saying.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Blog Entries

Hey- that's my take lol.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    2014 draft: Johnny Football.............just saying.
    Already looking forward to it...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Ranger is offline Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    The two stats that have proven the best indicator of quarterback value are YPA and the TD/Int ratio. While I also figure in completion percentage, the two former stats are primary because completion percentage can be artificially elevated by the WCO and other short passing schemes.

Ponder was second worst in the NFL last season with a 6.08 YPA. His 18/12 TD/Int ratio was not bad for a second year quarterback. His completion percentage was 62.1 which is not bad either.

Could this be a make or break year for Ponder? Perhaps, but it may take longer or he may just fizzle out. That is how it works with quarterbacks.

Ponder certainly has better stats than Drew Brees or Eli Manning at the same point in their careers, and they turned out pretty well. The third year as a starter was the breakout year for Brees, while Eli did not really breakout until the playoffs at the end of his fourth season, and his stats have never been top 5 or even top 10 in the NFL during the regular season.

We have seen Russel Wilson and Robert Griffin III come out of the gate like gamebusters, but that is not the norm. Most of the top QB's in the NFL had mediocre success in their first few seasons. Of course, so have most of the leagues worst quarterbacks; they just did not get any better.

I was a defender of Ponder early on. There were lofty expectations from a quarterback drafted in the first round. He was supposed to be the most NFL ready quarterback in the draft, we were told, but I did not buy that line. Ponder would have to tough it through like most other quarterbacks before him.

Having a high completion percentage was a plus. Having a pretty good TD/Int ratio this season was a plus. What bothered me was Ponder's lack of consistency when hitting moving targets or throwing on-target on passes more than ten yards downfield. Inexperienced quarterbacks usually try to overpower the ball into all passes and must learn to have touch on short passes. Ponder has the opposite problem; he tries to put touch on all of his passes - even deep balls. Ponder has neither shown great arm strength nor great field vision. Looking at his highlights from last season, he often threw to a double covered or tight covered man when another receiver was single covered or wide open respectively. On one particular play, Ponder threw the ball into a well covered Kyle Rudolph when Adrian Peterson was wide open, without a defender on him at all, just a few yards to Rudolph's left.

In order to improve, Ponder needs to make the 10-20 yard throws on target and on time. He needs to go to the third or fourth receiver on his progression if need be, and he needs to be able to step up in the pocket or short roll while doing so. Ponder needs to be able to recognize when a receiver will be open and anticipate when the receiver will be open. Ponder often waits for a player to be open before releasing the football, and that is often too late. In the NFL, defenders look in and recover too quickly for a quarterback to delay. This is one of the skills that an NFL quarterback must learn, and it is one of the most difficult skills to master.

The Vikings have shown what having a great quarterback can do for a team. When Brett Farve joined the Vikings, he almost single handedly gave the Vikings wins they should have lost and a playoff run that was arguably one penalty away from a Superbowl. It will take time for Ponder to become the veteran that Favre, Brees, Brady, or Peyton are, but first, Ponder has to show that he has the tools to get there. At this point, I have my doubts, but we shall see.
    This is an excellent post.

I'll say that I am pulling for Ponder. He seems like a good, high effort, quality kid. I like that we finally drafted a quarterback in the first round to be "the guy", instead of kicking the tires on a vet.

Will he amount to much? Who knows. This year will be very telling, in my opinion. He could be a Brees type player, or he could be a huge bust. If he doesn't pan out, I don't really regret the effort in trying him. Go back to the drawing board, scout quarterbacks, and take one the next season (If Ponder is a failure).

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by 12purplepride28 View Post
    Are you guys kidding me?!?! Last year, aka the first year he had an offseason and his first full year as a starter, was his make-or-break year? You guys make me sick. Even Tarvaris got more time than this and I was fine with it, and Ponder has shown more than he ever did! Jesus H. Christ, I can't believe what I'm reading.
    Thats because they are either Ponder haters or TJ suck asses, yes, TJ still has some believers here. Sad, isn't it? LOL this is Ponders 3rd year, and he's done nothing but get better, since he's been here. Hell, one shouldn't even count his first year. No pre-season and thrown into the fire. I think he will do what he is best at doing, manage a game and win......

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast