Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I am a huge Johnny Football fan and would love to have him as our QB but I fear he is going to end up with the Jets.
    Or, stay at A&M for another year. He will be a redshirt Sophomore this year so he can enter the 2014 draft, but he is still pretty young....and pretty small.

Hell of a player though and a lot of fun to watch.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Oh yeah, I wasn't speaking of right away, just when he finally does hit the market.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by RK. View Post
    However TJack went to Seattle and new coach's there didn't seem to help much.

The problem I have with Ponder is arm strength. I am not sure coaching can help with that. I am sure that is why we see very little passing game 10 yds beyond the LOS. Hopefully he is on the bow flex this off season building up those muscles. You won't make it as a QB in the NFL unless you can gun it down the field. You have to put it through the window not just float it over the wall.
    I have a bigger problem with him and its when he throws across his body or at times his back foot trying to force something.....yeah he doesn't have a strong arm but those bad decisions seem to get im in the most trouble and he has repeated them.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    I have a bigger problem with him and its when he throws across his body or at times his back foot trying to force something.....yeah he doesn't have a strong arm but those bad decisions seem to get im in the most trouble and he has repeated them.
    For me it's his reaction to pressure. He seems to go haywire when pressured. He did seem to relax a little more at the end of the season, but the stats didn't really improve, primarily because they were commited to the run, and Musgrave wisely, limited his throws.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by RK. View Post
    However TJack went to Seattle and new coach's there didn't seem to help much.

The problem I have with Ponder is arm strength. I am not sure coaching can help with that. I am sure that is why we see very little passing game 10 yds beyond the LOS. Hopefully he is on the bow flex this off season building up those muscles. You won't make it as a QB in the NFL unless you can gun it down the field. You have to put it through the window not just float it over the wall.
    That's because Jackson ended up not being that good. Ponder has a definite issue with arm strength. Always has. Dilfer's analysis of Ponder before we drafted him was spot on. There are a few times he has been able to gun it, but most times they're floaters.

Like I said earlier in the season when people were bagging on Musgrave, He was mostly calling short passes under 10 yards & behind the LOS passes because those were the limits of his accuracy.

But I wasn't referring to OC coaches or head coaches. I was referring primarily to the QB coaches & any of the assistant coaches that work to develop the QB. While you can't teach arm strength, you can certainly teach mechanics & other things that our QB's struggled with in their development. Late in Ponder's 2nd year, he still has had poor mechanics at times.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Blog Entries

Make-or-Break Year for Christian Ponder

Arm strength isn't what you look at but leadership, accuracy and poise under pressure.

Jackson had a hell of an arm but what the hell good is that if you can't read a defense or throw it accurately? Ponder can throw the ball far enough to do the job if he can throw it accurately and do it under pressure. That is where he will succeed or fail. He is better under pressure than Jackson was and he is more accurate but maybe not enough of either.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Arm strength isn't what you look at but leadership, accuracy and poise under pressure.

Jackson had a hell of an arm but what the hell good is that if you can't read a defense or throw it accurately? Ponder can throw the ball far enough to do the job if he can throw it accurately and do it under pressure. That is where he will succeed or fail. He is better under pressure than Jackson was and he is more accurate but maybe not enough of either.
    I agree that poise, leadership, and accuracy are more important than arm strength, but at some point arm strength can become a deciding factor. Ponder can do pretty well in the short game - we saw that last year. But when he tries to throw a deep(er) ball the ball speed simply isn't there. It gives the secondary way too much time to react. That is one of the big reasons why we never saw any deep passes over the middle. That effectively takes away a big portion of the field, limiting our offense.

Now I am not saying he cannot succeed. Again, I will use Alex Smith as an example. But I wouldn't bet the farm on it...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    I agree that poise, leadership, and accuracy are more important than arm strength, but at some point arm strength can become a deciding factor. Ponder can do pretty well in the short game - we saw that last year. But when he tries to throw a deep(er) ball the ball speed simply isn't there. It gives the secondary way too much time to react. That is one of the big reasons why we never saw any deep passes over the middle. That effectively takes away a big portion of the field, limiting our offense.

Now I am not saying he cannot succeed. Again, I will use Alex Smith as an example. But I wouldn't bet the farm on it...
    Another take on Musgrave's philosophy in the short game...not just a Ponder limitation, but a philosophy.

Minnesota Vikings Draft: Arif's Vikings-specific Big Board

One could argue that the short, possession-style receiving game is a product of Ponder's arm strength or simply not having receiver talent, but Musgrave used similar playbooks with the Jaguars and Panthers in his tenures with both of those franchises. Those teams had Muhsin Muhammad, Jimmy Smith (perhaps the most underrated receiver in history) and Donald Hayes. It's wasn't just a question of receiver or quarterback (he had Byron Leftwich, Steve Beuerlein and David Garrard) ability—Musgrave simply likes to run shorter routes. If you don't believe that, Wobschall says the same.
    The quoted article is actually about WR selection in this year's draft, it has a lot of good background in it that IMO is worth the read.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post

We have seen him get the ball down the field so I don't have that many concerns that the offense can't be made to work with a QB with his arm strength IF he has the accuracy, the timing and a cool enough head under pressure to make the throws. He is an intelligent guy but whether he is instinctual and whether he can analyze and execute under duress is the million dollar question. His arm is as strong as Montana's arm was and is as good as brad johnson and gannon, who won and went to a SB respectively.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Ponder has thrown the ball 40-50 yards down field with no trouble, his accuracy is what sucks. One out of 10 passes will be on the money, that is why for me he is the prototypical WCO type of QB, which is why I am saying he is on a short leash. If he can't make the screen pass, or 5-10 yard passes with accuracy, then he shouldn't be a starter in the league.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast