Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Remind me again........Who was the QB's that were available to us not only in the draft but in FA as well.

Also, don't forget to mention how well our starting QB that year was the year before.

Not very many people thought we needed to find a starter that year. Just a project and a backup.
    So let me get this straight, you think Ponder is the answer because there hasn't been anyone better available to play QB?

Why is his down field accuracy so important? Are we going to shift over to the "Air Coryell" variant of the WCO or are we going to stay with the scheme that has 90% of it plays ran from teh LOS to 15 yards down field?
    Just because we run a dink-n-dunk offense doesn't mean it's not important to have good down field accuracy. If you can get a defense to respect your deep/medium ball, all the underneath stuff is going to be that much easier.

But someone tell me, how much sense does it make to run a dink-n-dunk pass offense when defenders are already crowding the box because of the beast you have at RB? Call me crazy but wouldn't it make more sense to have a QB that can get the ball down field when you have a back like AD? We're stuck with a QB that can't take advantage of the opportunities our RB opens up for him.

If Ponder can't succeed with this talent around him, I have a sneaky suspicion no one can. Only thing thats gonna hold this team back this year is play calling.
    This must be one of those "just trying to keep the conversation going" type comments you mentioned earlier lol.

Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    I guess they didn't see alll those passes Rodgers threw that were caught by Jones, Cobb and Nelson with defenders draped all over them. If we had a few of those guys that fight for the ball and win, his percentage might go up. Jennings surely can do that and if Patterson can do that he (Ponder) will look a lot better all of a sudden.
    In order for a receiver to be able to fight for the ball it still has to be in his general vicinity.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
    So let me get this straight, you think Ponder is the answer because there hasn't been anyone better available to play QB?

Just because we run a dink-n-dunk offense doesn't mean it's not important to have good down field accuracy. If you can get a defense to respect your deep/medium ball, all the underneath stuff is going to be that much easier.

But someone tell me, how much sense does it make to run a dink-n-dunk pass offense when defenders are already crowding the box because of the beast you have at RB? Call me crazy but wouldn't it make more sense to have a QB that can get the ball down field when you have a back like AD? We're stuck with a QB that can't take advantage of the opportunities our RB opens up for him.

This must be one of those "just trying to keep the conversation going" type comments you mentioned earlier lol.

In order for a receiver to be able to fight for the ball it still has to be in his general vicinity.
    It also gives the QB confidence to throw the ball "in the vicinity". The WRs he's had havenot given anyone that kind of confidence other than Harvin.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    It also gives the QB confidence to throw the ball "in the vicinity". The WRs he's had have not given anyone that kind of confidence other than Harvin.
    Solid point, take away Calvin Johnson and Brandon Marshall and you'll see Stafford and Cutler's numbers go down significantly.

Favre trusted Rice to win the battle's and quite often threw to him when he was covered well. Favre trusted his arm to a fault, but he also trusted Sydney to bail him out. That was a recipe for disaster with the Vikings last year and no doubt caused Ponder to be more conservative then many would like. Hopefully Jennings can be that guy this year, along with Patterson to take a lot of the Percy role and who knows maybe Simpson will actually make some plays when people forget he's actually in the game. I think Wright can play a nice role as well, especially if Jennings plays to expectations.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Solid point, take away Calvin Johnson and Brandon Marshall and you'll see Stafford and Cutler's numbers go down significantly.

Favre trusted Rice to win the battle's and quite often threw to him when he was covered well. Favre trusted his arm to a fault, but he also trusted Sydney to bail him out. That was a recipe for disaster with the Vikings last year and no doubt caused Ponder to be more conservative then many would like. Hopefully Jennings can be that guy this year, along with Patterson to take a lot of the Percy role and who knows maybe Simpson will actually make some plays when people forget he's actually in the game. I think Wright can play a nice role as well, especially if Jennings plays to expectations.
    Great points!!

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819