Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    It seems that this is the blueprint the team has had since Wilf bought it. When they moved up to draft Jackson in the 2nd even though he was projected to go in the 6th they brought in guys like Bollinger, Holcolm etc to back him up and the only reason I can think of was that they were so bad that Jackson just looked better by default. Or that they wanted someone the fans knew was so terrible that they wouldn't start the chant to bench the starter in favor of the backup since for 30 years or better the most popular player on the Vikings staff has been the backup QB lol.
    Remind me again........Who was the QB's that were available to us not only in the draft but in FA as well.

Also, don't forget to mention how well our starting QB that year was the year before.

Not very many people thought we needed to find a starter that year. Just a project and a backup.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Heck, in his first year the fans blamed his lack of success on the OL. I stated that was not the problem but a top 5 tackle was drafted and nothing changed so this draft it was the WRs fault and we drafted a 1st round WR. That isn't going to fix the problem either but I wonder what position is going to be the next scapegoat.

The passing game will look better either when Ponder improves his down field accuracy, which I am doubtful he can, or when he is replaced by someone who can make those throws.
    Nothing changed after we inserted Matt K? WOW.

Why is his down field accuracy so important? Are we going to shift over to the "Air Coryell" variant of the WCO or are we going to stay with the scheme that has 90% of it plays ran from teh LOS to 15 yards down field?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    Oh come on man! Allowing over 50 sacks/season is acceptable to you!?? WTF!? Some of you need to realize that those other spots did need fixing too, and that young QBs nearly always need a few years of simmering to hit their potential. He may prove to be unable to make "deep" throws accurately, as you and many proclaim, or he may Improve with experience and better help around him, but with the other holes filled, it is like a growing ring of fingers pointing at him from the rest of the offensive starters...

HOF RB? check!!
    Precision route running WR? check!
    Athletic threat WR? check!?
    Pro-bowl MVP TE?? check!!!
    Improving/mostly solid OL? check!?
    Pro-bowl FB? check!!

That is good news my friend!! Whether Ponder succeeds or not, whoever is playing QB for the Vikings is going to be pretty freaking happy to have that kind of talent around him. It's the kid's third year, he only has 1.6 years worth of experience, so quit with the Calls for Cassell already and give him one more chance...at least a few games, say 5 or 8?

Like the origin of the thread said, "Make or Break Year for Ponder." Either our pass O improves this season, or we improve it next season with a vet that can't wait to play here, or perhaps, using some extra picks to move up on a Johnny Football type guy.

Not so bad at all. I like where this team is and, more importantly, is headed.

SKOL VIKINGS!!!!
    If Ponder can't succeed with this talent around him, I have a sneaky suspicion no one can. Only thing thats gonna hold this team back this year is play calling.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    If Ponder can't succeed with this talent around him, I have a sneaky suspicion no one can. Only thing thats gonna hold this team back this year is play calling.
    *Snickers*

Yeah, must be the play calling. If only Musgrove would trust Ponder enough to allow him to throw even more passes that sail 15 yards or more.

Can't be the QB at all. Musgrove is handcuffing him. No one on that list is better than Ponder. Oh wait!
    Last edited by singersp; 05-13-2013 at 07:03 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    It seems that this is the blueprint the team has had since Wilf bought it. When they moved up to draft Jackson in the 2nd even though he was projected to go in the 6th they brought in guys like Bollinger, Holcolm etc to back him up and the only reason I can think of was that they were so bad that Jackson just looked better by default. Or that they wanted someone the fans knew was so terrible that they wouldn't start the chant to bench the starter in favor of the backup since for 30 years or better the most popular player on the Vikings staff has been the backup QB lol.
    Remind me again........Who was the QB's that were available to us not only in the draft but in FA as well.

Also, don't forget to mention how well our starting QB that year was the year before.

Not very many people thought we needed to find a starter that year. Just a project and a backup.

We didn't need to trade up in the second round to get that player is what I am saying. But the short answer to your question is Drew Brees. And yes, we could have had him.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Nothing changed after we inserted Matt K? WOW.
    You should know by now you can't take my posts out of contextt and get away with it. I specifically stated that many thought drafting him would make Ponder better by giving him more time in the pocket and the WR's would look better because they would have more time to run their routes. By that measure nothing changed because the passing game was still at the bottom of the league. Changing WR's won't change it either. only Ponder fixing his down field accuracy issues will do that.

Why is his down field accuracy so important? Are we going to shift over to the "Air Coryell" variant of the WCO or are we going to stay with the scheme that has 90% of it plays ran from teh LOS to 15 yards down field?
    Even in the Walsh offense they had deep passes that needed to be completed with accuracy and the short to intermediate passes also needed to be timed to get to a spot at a specific time and so far those are not things he has done with consistency. And it isn't going to be 90% my friend unless the QB dictates that is his plateau.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    You should know by now you can't take my posts out of context...
    And you should know by now that is what we do here at PP.O...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

You should know by now you can't take my posts out of contextt and get away with it. I specifically stated that many thought drafting him would make Ponder better by giving him more time in the pocket and the WR's would look better because they would have more time to run their routes. By that measure nothing changed because the passing game was still at the bottom of the league. Changing WR's won't change it either. only Ponder fixing his down field accuracy issues will do that.

LOL, I will take anything out of context I want as long as it keeps the discussion going my friend. You know that.....

Even in the Walsh offense they had deep passes that needed to be completed with accuracy and the short to intermediate passes also needed to be timed to get to a spot at a specific time and so far those are not things he has done with consistency. And it isn't going to be 90% my friend unless the QB dictates that is his plateau.
    You see the thing I did were I broke down the Vikings, (Dink Dunk), The Pats (Dink Dunk) and the PUKERS (Coryell)?

All of them were in the 2 to 5 range (Avg) per game on deep passes. I think we will all see that one of the benifits of actually having a starter at each position (X, Y, and Z) as well as the flexibility to move a couple of them around will greatly increase the completion percentages of the "Deep" passes everyone seems to think Ponder can't make, even though he has to some extent at this level and was pretty consistent with at the collegiate level.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    LOL, I will take anything out of context I want as long as it keeps the discussion going my friend. You know that.....

You see the thing I did were I broke down the Vikings, (Dink Dunk), The Pats (Dink Dunk) and the PUKERS (Coryell)?

All of them were in the 2 to 5 range (Avg) per game on deep passes. I think we will all see that one of the benifits of actually having a starter at each position (X, Y, and Z) as well as the flexibility to move a couple of them around will greatly increase the completion percentages of the "Deep" passes everyone seems to think Ponder can't make, even though he has to some extent at this level and was pretty consistent with at the collegiate level.
    I guess they didn't see alll those passes Rodgers threw that were caught by Jones, Cobb and Nelson with defenders draped all over them. If we had a few of those guys that fight for the ball and win, his percentage might go up. Jennings surely can do that and if Patterson can do that he (Ponder) will look a lot better all of a sudden.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    I guess they didn't see alll those passes Rodgers threw that were caught by Jones, Cobb and Nelson with defenders draped all over them. If we had a few of those guys that fight for the ball and win, his percentage might go up. Jennings surely can do that and if Patterson can do that he (Ponder) will look a lot better all of a sudden.
    It's all the ifs with Ponder and a few other players, I have a hard time with.
    If Ponder had accuracy like Rodgers. If Simpson could have a good season. If Henderson could be effective at MLB. Etc. , etc..
    Vikings still have a lot of ifs, and Ponder is the biggest if of all.

The Vikings should be better this year, but will they be good enough ?

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast