Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Weren't a lot of those yards due to YAC or did you forget that?

Ponder did start out good, don't get me wrong, but then he regressed to mediocre & down right flat & in several of those games AD ran for more yards than Ponder threw.

I don't think he had a strong finish like you want a lot of people to believe. He finished with 1 good game against the Packers & that was his saving grace. In the 5 games prior to that he didn't look that great. In fact in those 5 games he averaged only 135 yds/game threw a total 3 TD's & had 4 INT's & only averaged 5 yards per pass.
    This guy breaks it down rather nicely.....

he Vikings, sitting at 6-6, needed to win out for a chance at the playoffs. Ponder stepped up to the challenge. He completed 60.6 percent of his passes for 630 yards and four touchdowns to just one interception. He had help from Peterson of course, but Peterson proved during Ponder's rough stretch he couldn't do it alone. The final two games are especially impressive. In Week 16 against Houston, Peterson struggled compared to his usual self, managing just 86 yards on his 25 carries. Ponder picked up the slack, taking over with an inspiring performance against one of the AFC's best teams. Then in Week 17, in a do-or-die matchup against the rival Green Bay Packers, Ponder played his best game ever. And he needed to, as it became a shootout. He hit on many clutch third-down conversions, including a 3rd-and-11 on the final game-winning drive.
    Minnesota Vikings 2013: Why Do People Seem to Hate Christian Ponder? | Bleacher Report

Granted , it isn't like he threw up 350 yards in those games, but what he did do was make plays when he needed to and didn't make mistakes.

Its almost as if he was a 2nd year QB, on a predominantly run orientated offense that was asked to do his role, nothing more, nothing less.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I never said any won a SB nor did I infer any of them ever will. My point was I don't think the success of the guys last year means that the read option QB's get up to speed in the NFL faster overall than the traditional guys as you asserted. I do agree that initially they may introduce a new wrinkle that the defenses need to account for that may buy them a little time and give a little early success, but once defenses adjust to them they don't look all that good and since they are trained to make one read and then throw or run, in the end to become a complete NFL QB who can go through his complete read progression it actually takes more time.

College football in the 90's and 2000's had a lot of field stretching, air it out programs that put up some ridiculous stats offensively in the passing game. Now the trend is the hybrid QB/RB and I don't think that is a good recipe for NFL success in the long run because you can't have the guy running the offense taking those kind of shots as frequently as they do. RG3 is a good example of that.
    I didn't say you did. Infact I agree with what you said in the first paragraph. My comment about them not winning a SB was just another discussion point, added by me, to keep it going.....
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I heard Jerry Rice say one time.....Thats were I got my work done......C/C will say the same......

I'm putting together a thing for the other site (I'll provide the link cause its to big for this site) that breaks down our WR's and if they fit our scheme.

Alot of stuff is stressed in the variant we run, but one comes out more and more than any other, almost all of the passing plays in this scheme happen from the LOS to the 15 yard line.
    Exactly, which means you have to have YAC if you want to make the O work well.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    I hate that everyone points to the 98 offense like it's a bad thing. It was a great offense and not the reason we didn't win a chip. We didn't win a chip because our defense was average and even less than average when the injuries piled up. Even that wasn't enough to stop us... it took a guy missing a FG he makes in his sleep and a run of bad luck to stop us......

SO WHY IN HELL DO PEOPLE POINT TO THE OFFENSE LIKE IT WAS A PROBLEM
    IS SCORING TOO MUCH A PROBLEM? IS SCORING TOO SOON A PROBLEM?

Also... improving the passign game does not mean we are asking for a RECORD BREAKING PASSING GAME... How about just average? How about just dam good. You don't have to limit yourself to bad QBs and average WRs just to prove you are a running team. Balance! Balance! Balance! The reason the Colts were as good as they were for so long was Balance ( James and Peyton) The reason the Pats won those chips.... Balance ( Dillon and Brady) Almost every team has to have both. That is what we need. We finally have fixed the WR portion... now we need to ffind a godd QB... stat.
    The 98 offense was a good offense. I've never said there was anything wrong with it. Only issue with it I have now is that almost everyone still pines for that offense and tries to compare what we did then to what we do now.

Until people come to grips that the 98 variant we ran was a more verticle (Air Coryell) version than what we run now (Walsh Dink/Dunk) there will always be comparisons. Right or wrong.

By the way, if you remember, when Denny (A Walsh Pupil) took over he started out with the Dink/Dunk (With CC working as his Jerry Rice workhorse) and worked his way into the Air Coryell as the offense matured and he landed the freak called Randy. With Randy, Carter, and Reed, He had a true WCO WR corps that could exploit the field the way Walsh envisioned.

Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    Exactly, which means you have to have YAC if you want to make the O work well.
    For some reason our good friend Singersp struggles with that little fact about the offense we run.

He absolutely hates plays from the LOS to the 15 yard line. All he wants to see is deep bombs and quick scoring.

Like a good beer, a drive using the Walsh dink dunk attack is something to be enjoyed slowly, not just guzzled like a old nasty Beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    I believe the WCO is the best offensive scheme ever created, but it is not just dink-dunk.
    What variant do you think is the best? One (really two) is vertical (with a little dink dunk mixed in) the other is dink dunk (with a little vertical mixed in).

In the end, you are correct in that it is not just dink dunk, but depending on what variant you are talking about, one of them is almost exclusively dink dunk with 2 to 5 deep shots per game mixed in.

By the way, that just so happens to be what we run.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    For some reason our good friend Singersp struggles with that little fact about the offense we run.

He absolutely hates plays from the LOS to the 15 yard line. All he wants to see is deep bombs and quick scoring.

Like a good beer, a drive using the Walsh dink dunk attack is something to be enjoyed slowly, not just guzzled like a old nasty Beast.
    Now that one through me for a loop. I expected you to be a loyal Beast man. What kind of beer do you put in the good category?

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Now that one through me for a loop. I expected you to be a loyal Beast man. What kind of beer do you put in the good category?
    LOL, when I'm in a guzzling, gonna drink alot of beer, I opt for the beast or the silver bullet. When I out for a steak dinner, something on tap that is like German Wheat, Scottish ale or a Marzen. If I'm doing Mexican, I like the usual stuff they have on tap, Tecate', Dos Equis.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    LOL, when I'm in a guzzling, gonna drink alot of beer, I opt for the beast or the silver bullet. When I out for a steak dinner, something on tap that is like German Wheat, Scottish ale or a Marzen. If I'm doing Mexican, I like the usual stuff they have on tap, Tecate', Dos Equis.
    Sounds like a pretty good strategy. You may not be an IPA man, but if you are, try starting things out with a Dogfish90. Usually the start of my Vikings viewing. Very tasty, but has a pretty good kick to it, so guzzling probably not advised if you want to see the end of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Sounds like a pretty good strategy. You may not be an IPA man, but if you are, try starting things out with a Dogfish90. Usually the start of my Vikings viewing. Very tasty, but has a pretty good kick to it, so guzzling probably not advised if you want to see the end of the game.
    I actually love to try something new at every opportunity.

Additionally, I have a good friend, the Bengals fan that came up to MN with me, has made several trips to Milton DE so I am adequately versed in the Dogfish label.

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast