Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    I agree. I think you can have a high scoring offense and a great defense.
    But it is rare and as you keep saying, you need balance and you get no long term balance when you stack one side of the roster with talent at the expense of the other side of the ball. That is what 1998 represents. It can go the other way with defense too. When the Ravens won their first SB the defense was good enough to stop anyone and the offense didn't need to do much. Tampa Bay was similar and neither had much follow up success. The Giants won 2 SB's in the last decade and seem to be in the hunt regularly because they have balance on offense and defense. The Patriots were winning their SB's when they had balance and it was their defense that IMHO was the real key to winning more than Brady and since they basically filled the defense with no-names and stacked the offense and gave Brady a huge contract they haven't won one and the one they got to (with the highest powered offense in history) against the Giants they lost to a more balanced team with fewer offensive weapons that could grind it out,control the clock and keep pressure on the opposing offense.

Green Bay won their SB with a high rated defense a few years back and now that defense has been depleted. Matthews signed a big contract that will eat up a lot of cap room and Rodgers will take up a big chunk of the offensive budget. Their team is going to go the way of the Patriots and put up big numbers but get beat by more balanced teams in the playoffs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    I hate that everyone points to the 98 offense like it's a bad thing.
    Who are you including in the phrase everyone? I really don't know of anyone who thinks the 98 offense was a bad thing. I mean there were certain posters when Childress was hired who had sigs that stated something to the effect of "the 98 offense was great but I'd rather win a SB" (correct that if I had it wrong NDPaul) but I think the vast majority of fans loved that offense including me.

But that offense clicked because of Moss. We don't have him but we do have AP. He makes the offense click in another way. You may not like that way but that is how it is and as long as the offense is built around him it's going to be that way. The passing game can and will improve but it isn't going to be 1998 part deaux.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    The offensive focus would shift back to what it was the first 8 weeks of last season. Lets not forget that Ponder had 6 games with over 200+ passing and one that was 2 yards shy during that timeframe and almost everyone was getting on the Ponder bandwagon.

Or did you forget about that?
    Weren't a lot of those yards due to YAC or did you forget that?

Ponder did start out good, don't get me wrong, but then he regressed to mediocre & down right flat & in several of those games AD ran for more yards than Ponder threw.

I don't think he had a strong finish like you want a lot of people to believe. He finished with 1 good game against the Packers & that was his saving grace. In the 5 games prior to that he didn't look that great. In fact in those 5 games he averaged only 135 yds/game threw a total 3 TD's & had 4 INT's & only averaged 5 yards per pass.
    Last edited by singersp; 05-10-2013 at 08:02 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    Dilfer is a moron.

The only Super Bowl winning QB to EVER start as a backup for a different team the following year.
    He's a moron because he wasn't a great QB?

He sure has Ponder pegged. If anyone knows a mediocre QB, Dilfer does. Dilfer has also saw virtually every snap he took in college.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Blog Entries
    He is a moron because he is a moron. Everything else is a by-product of that fact.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post

Ponder did start out good, don't get me wrong, but then he regressed to mediocre & down right flat & in several of those games AD ran for more yards than Ponder threw.

I don't think he had a strong finish like you want a lot of people to believe. He finished with 1 good game against the Packers & that was his saving grace. In the 5 games prior to that he didn't look that great. In fact in those 5 games he averaged only 135 yds/game threw a total 3 TD's & had 4 INT's & only averaged 5 yards per pass.
    That is how it should be in our offense. Check Joe Montana's games and you'll find Jerry Rice caught a 10 yard quick slant that went for 60, 70, 80 yards. That's what is suppose to happen when you stretch the field horizontally. If you have a lot of YAC your QB is doing his job, he has to put the ball on the money so the WR can catch the ball in stride and make the YAC.

So I would be worrried of Ponder doesn't have a lot of YAC on his totals evry game!!

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

C Mac D is online now Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    He is a moron because he is a moron. Everything else is a by-product of that fact.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post

He didn't kill drives and cost us games....that equals playing lights out for everyone.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Who are you including in the phrase everyone? I really don't know of anyone who thinks the 98 offense was a bad thing. I mean there were certain posters when Childress was hired who had sigs that stated something to the effect of "the 98 offense was great but I'd rather win a SB" (correct that if I had it wrong NDPaul) but I think the vast majority of fans loved that offense including me.

But that offense clicked because of Moss. We don't have him but we do have AP. He makes the offense click in another way. You may not like that way but that is how it is and as long as the offense is built around him it's going to be that way. The passing game can and will improve but it isn't going to be 1998 part deaux.
    Dude.... read back a couple of pages please. In facct read almost any thread on hear talking about offense. Everyone is quick to say.. 98 this and 98 that. I dont care what the offense looks like rushing or passing. I care that we score more points than the other team at the end of the game. I care that when we face a team that can stop our incedible running back we have a passing game to bail us out. We don't have that yet. Do you understand? If Peterson goes down....playoffs are out the question....I aim to be like the Falcons...not because they pass deep but because they can run or pass on you. They can take what you give them. Right now we HAVE to run no matter what!!!!!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    That is how it should be in our offense. Check Joe Montana's games and you'll find Jerry Rice caught a 10 yard quick slant that went for 60, 70, 80 yards. That's what is suppose to happen when you stretch the field horizontally. If you have a lot of YAC your QB is doing his job, he has to put the ball on the money so the WR can catch the ball in stride and make the YAC.

So I would be worrried of Ponder doesn't have a lot of YAC on his totals evry game!!
    I heard Jerry Rice say one time.....Thats were I got my work done......C/C will say the same......

I'm putting together a thing for the other site (I'll provide the link cause its to big for this site) that breaks down our WR's and if they fit our scheme.

Alot of stuff is stressed in the variant we run, but one comes out more and more than any other, almost all of the passing plays in this scheme happen from the LOS to the 15 yard line.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast